EA Sports' MVP Baseball 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Sports' MVP Baseball 2004

I'm a bit behind in the times and finally had a chance to pick up this game for PS2 this last weekend.

Up for discussion:

THE GOOD
    -Simply outstanding gameplay. The level of detail is remarkable. By far the most fun baseball game I've ever played.

-Franchise mode is a great thing, and I love having two minor league teams to field as well

THE BAD
    -Franchise mode is a bit too detailed. I don't really care that much about who is my DH against LH pitchers on my AA team....but if you don't set it, you can't play (without CPU optimization, which screwed EVERYTHING up)

-Other teams don't pay that much attention to scouting reports. There are always OUTSTANDING young players on the FA lists

THE UGLY
    -The coaching tasks are ridiculous. For the Cards coach you have to win 2 LCS, 2WS or have a .600+ winning % over three seasons to keep your job. 1st season I finished with 89 wins and squeeked into the playoffs where I lost in the 1st round. I was fired. How ghey is that?

-The salary caps make the game a bit ridiculous. Last night on season #2 I was looking for a Lefty SP (I'd traded around and gotten a starting 5 pitching staff of Morris, Haren, Kerry Wood, Brandon Webb, and Ryan Dempster). Now, if you're a franchise owner and want to build a team with a LH pitcher, there one name you think of: Barry Zito. Well: @ the trade deadline, the A's weren't in contention, so they put Mulder, Hudson AND Zito on the trade blocks. That's just silly.

-Others on the trade blocks: Sosa, Delgado, Schmidt, and many more.

-Garciaparra was traded to the Orioles. They also kept Tejada. Who would trade for 2 of the 5 best SSs?

Discuss.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Wish I could get the game to work on my PeeCee w/out locking up...

Free copy, of course...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

are you online with your PS2?
      Are you on the list?

Comment

1st season I finished with 89 wins and squeeked into the playoffs where I lost in the 1st round. I was fired.
        Sounds like it's Faction Baseball 2k4

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 22 2004, 12:49 PM

1st season I finished with 89 wins and squeeked into the playoffs where I lost in the 1st round. I was fired.
          Sounds like it's Faction Baseball 2k4
          :o
          Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 22 2004, 12:49 PM
            are you online with your PS2?
            yes I am, but don't tell dev.
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Agree for the most part, i got around the salary cap part by
              turning it off in the gameplay tuining menu
              ( i think that was what it was called)
              still using the keyboard as i do not have a
              good joystick, does anyone know how to
              lead off using the keyboard?

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 22 2004, 12:50 PM-->
                QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Mar 22 2004, 12:50 PM)

Get the Logitech gamepad.... $19.99 and well worth it.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Mar 22 2004, 12:52 PM-->
                  QUOTE (SLUBLUE @ Mar 22 2004, 12:52 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 12:50 PM

Franchise mode is a bit too detailed. I don't really care that much about who is my DH against LH pitchers on my AA team....but if you don't set it, you can't play (without CPU optimization, which screwed EVERYTHING up)
                  AAARRRGHH!

After a lackluster first year, I remade my roster, traded Woody for Curt Schilling, and got some good bargains.

But, my AA team didn't have the lineup filled out right, so I hit optimize.

The computer released Albert Pujols.

The salary structure also would be easier to follow if they used real dollars instead of points. The game play is incredible, but the dynasty mode is horrendous, and doesn't remotely compare to Madden.

I like that it's harder to homer in this one. The old Triple Play game was a derby.
                  His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                  Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 22 2004, 12:47 PM
                    -Garciaparra was traded to the Orioles. They also kept Tejada. Who would trade for 2 of the 5 best SSs?
                    The real life Yankees?
                    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Does anyone know any place where it is currently in stock in St. Louis for PS2? I've been to at least 6 or 7 stores and they're all sold out.
                      "My name is Pussy Galore."
                      "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

The game in general is excellent. The problem I have with it is that they have made the pitchers too accurate. There are just not enough walks, and this affects the number of runs scored. The other problem I have is the number of crazy diving outfield catches that happen in the game.

bdp008, couldn't you get it off the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 22 2004, 01:11 PM
                          Franchise mode is a bit too detailed. I don't really care that much about who is my DH against LH pitchers on my AA team....but if you don't set it, you can't play (without CPU optimization, which screwed EVERYTHING up)
                          AAARRRGHH!

After a lackluster first year, I remade my roster, traded Woody for Curt Schilling, and got some good bargains.

But, my AA team didn't have the lineup filled out right, so I hit optimize.

The computer released Albert Pujols.

The salary structure also would be easier to follow if they used real dollars instead of points. The game play is incredible, but the dynasty mode is horrendous, and doesn't remotely compare to Madden.

I like that it's harder to homer in this one. The old Triple Play game was a derby.
                          I traded Williams and another couple players for Kerry Wood...then spun Wood and Sanders for Zito.

and yes, the CPU optimization sucks.

Comment

• Working...
                            X