Bat the pitcher FIRST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bat the pitcher FIRST

This idea is so brilliant, I'm surprised the Manager for Life didn't come up with it first.

Stop this flirting with the idea of batting the pitcher eighth. Make a real bold move, Tony. Bat the pitcher FIRST.

Why this is a great idea:

1. The Cardinals have no other lead-off hitter.

2. Many of our pitchers -- Morris, Woody, Simo Man -- are better hitters than Kerry Robinson, Bo Hart or Marlon of the Marlins.

3. Getting a quick first out will give opposing pitcher false sense of confidence, setting him up for eventual pounding.

4. Will make pitcher feel more part of the team, reinstill sense of unity that Tino did so much to cripple.

5. Instead of sitting around, nervously awaiting turn at plate, pitcher will be able to get it out of the way and have plenty of time to chat with Dunc about other team's line-up.

6. Opposing playes will move in when pitcher comes to bat, then forget to move back, providing our No. 2 hitter, Reggie Sanders, for more cheap-hit opportunities.

7. Opposing manager will be too busy laughing to concentrate on game.

8. Late-arriving fans will no longer have to worry about getting to game in time to see first pitch.

9. What's the difference -- eight hits in a row, followed by an out, or an out, followed by eight hits in a row?

10. Lack of base-runners will allow Albert to concentrate on pitcher.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

God this is genius. Can I add to your plan?

Once Ankiel gets healthy, we can have HIM lead off games when the pitcher that is going to start is a terrible hitter, then he can sit out after his first AB.

Of course, this is such a potent idea that he might get TWO ABs when the Cards bat around in the first.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 22 2004, 11:42 AM

Once Ankiel gets healthy, we can have HIM lead off games when the pitcher that is going to start is a terrible hitter, then he can sit out after his first AB.

Of course, this is such a potent idea that he might get TWO ABs when the Cards bat around in the first.
      that is actually kind of awesome. I would bat Ankiel 6th anytime he plays.

Steve Kline and Isringhausen showed some mobility on the basepaths.
      Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 22 2004, 11:42 AM

I love the Ankiel plan. Yes, by all means, we need more outside the box thinking like this.

I actually think pitcher first, Matheny second might be good. Get that battery thing going. And Matheny is a very good bunter.
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan@Mar 22 2004, 11:40 AM
          This idea is so brilliant, I'm surprised the Manager for Life didn't come up with it first.

Stop this flirting with the idea of batting the pitcher eighth. Make a real bold move, Tony. Bat the pitcher FIRST.

Why this is a great idea:

1. The Cardinals have no other lead-off hitter.

2. Many of our pitchers -- Morris, Woody, Simo Man -- are better hitters than Kerry Robinson, Bo Hart or Marlon of the Marlins.

3. Getting a quick first out will give opposing pitcher false sense of confidence, setting him up for eventual pounding.

4. Will make pitcher feel more part of the team, reinstill sense of unity that Tino did so much to cripple.

5. Instead of sitting around, nervously awaiting turn at plate, pitcher will be able to get it out of the way and have plenty of time to chat with Dunc about other team's line-up.

6. Opposing playes will move in when pitcher comes to bat, then forget to move back, providing our No. 2 hitter, Reggie Sanders, for more cheap-hit opportunities.

7. Opposing manager will be too busy laughing to concentrate on game.

8. Late-arriving fans will no longer have to worry about getting to game in time to see first pitch.

9. What's the difference -- eight hits in a row, followed by an out, or an out, followed by eight hits in a row?

10. Lack of base-runners will allow Albert to concentrate on pitcher.
          Post of the Month.
          The Dude abides.

Comment

why not just have ankiel play 2nd when he's not pitching?

Comment

Brilliant, Boyer. But I think Pujols should hit second right after the pitcher so that the pitcher will get some good pitches to whack at.
              “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak+Mar 22 2004, 11:45 AM-->
                QUOTE (Moe_Szyslak @ Mar 22 2004, 11:45 AM)

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 22 2004, 11:46 AM
                why not just have ankiel play 2nd when he's not pitching?
                Now we're talking. Let's go even farther: Rick Ankiel, player-manager.
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan+Mar 22 2004, 11:48 AM-->
                  QUOTE (kennyboyerfan @ Mar 22 2004, 11:48 AM)

You know, let's just clone Ankiel, and have a team of nothing but Ankiel clones?

Comment

Why do I get the sick feeling that TLR has actually thought about this already..................
                    AKA reddevil
                    AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 22 2004, 11:51 AM
                      You know, let's just clone Ankiel, and have a team of nothing but Ankiel clones?
                      I was thinking a lineup of all pitchers would be humorous.
                      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 22 2004, 11:47 AM
                        Brilliant, Boyer. But I think Pujols should hit second right after the pitcher so that the pitcher will get some good pitches to whack at.
                        Surely with that idea you should have the pitcher batting 3rd in front of Pujols. Just imagine the RBI opportunities for AP with Lankford, Hart and the pitcher hitting in front of him.

Hmmmm, wait a second even if the pitcher hits 9th, this is what AP could be facing after the 1st inning. If he hits 3rd anyway. That is depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Mar 22 2004, 11:52 AM-->
                          QUOTE (Turd Ferguson @ Mar 22 2004, 11:52 AM)
                          Working...
                          X