• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News you dont hear: 10,000 civilians dead in Iraq

http://truthout.org/docs_04/032004H.shtml

10.000 Civilians Killed in Iraq in a Year
    By Le Nouvel Observateur FR

Thursday 18 March 2004

In a report made public a few days before the first anniversary of the United States' start of the war in Iraq, Amnesty International denounces the "flagrant human rights violations" there.
    More than 10.000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the American invasion of Iraq a year ago, asserts Amnesty International, which denounces the "flagrant violations" of human rights in the country in a report released March 18. These figures corroborate the figure given by Iraq Body Count, a site which captures and collates data from numerous sources and which exceeded the threshold of 10,000 civilians killed on February 8.

"One year after the beginning of the war in Iraq, the promise of an improvement in human rights for Iraqis is far from being realized," asserts the human rights defense organization in its report.

According to Amnesty, it is estimated that "over 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed in a year as a result of the military intervention in Iraq and the occupation which has followed. "One year after the war began, Iraqi civilians are still being killed every day," emphasizes the report, according to which, "a great number of them seem to have died either because of excessive use of force by American troops or were killed in controversial circumstances."

Death in Detention

Amnesty recalls that it was "asked on several occasions to produce an independent and impartial inquiry into the civilians killed by coalition forces.

At the same time, the report emphasizes, "Iraqi civilians confront the danger represented by attacks apparently conducted by armed groups, which have "killed hundreds of civilians," according to the communiqué.

The report adds that "thousands of people have been detained (by coalition forces), often under difficult conditions, many have been tortured, and some have died in detention."

Amnesty indicates that the Provisional Authority of the United States-led coalition "acknowledges detaining 8,500 people, but an Iraqi human rights organization estimates the number of prisoners at 15,000."
    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Once again our plan was to bomb and never thought about what happens after.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Iraqi civilians killed: 10,000+

Military killed: US 578; UK 59; Other 42 ....... Total 679.

Wounded: 3,300.
      Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Who are Iraqis to know what's best for them?

They've got you boys.
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

More than half of the Iraqis oppose US occupation, according to a poll I read earlier today...
          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 20 2004, 04:21 PM
            Who are Iraqis to know what's best for them?
            Well, it's hard to ask the ones that we've killed.

Comment

How many did we kill?

How many shot at us?

How many times must you start bs threads?

Oh, and get a life, the ncaa is on
              Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

I'm not 100% convinced these numbers are accurate. I think the people involved are biased. They may be right, but I question it.

This even comes from a French publication.
                "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 20 2004, 04:38 PM
                  More than half of the Iraqis oppose US occupation, according to a poll I read earlier today...
                  Those same polls also say that over 90% of all Iraqis are happy that we removed Saddam from power.
                  Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Who are they to know what's best for them?
                    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 20 2004, 04:38 PM
                      I agree that it was a mistake to go there but now I have to wonder if it wouldn't be a bigger mistake to pull out abruptly. I fear a civil war if the transition of power is not handled well.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 20 2004, 04:47 PM-->
                        QUOTE (TTB @ Mar 20 2004, 04:47 PM)

I have an older brother named Kerry, I like Kerry Wood, I like Kerry Robinson, and I used to be a Kerry Von Erich fan.

This Kerry Kid from Massasschutes, I'm still not very sure about.
                        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

One way or the other I think there will be a civil war. Too many different sects over there that want to control things, and too much pent-up animosity between the people of each sect.

That is just my opinion, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 20 2004, 05:44 PM
                            Who are they to know what's best for them?
                            Do you say the same thing for the people of Spain?
                            They were against going to Iraq by 90 to 95%
                            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

• Working...
                              X