Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bernie Bits: Why does Pace stick with Poston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie Bits: Why does Pace stick with Poston?

Enjoy.

Bernie Bits: Why does Pace stick with Poston as his agent?
    BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist
    03/19/2004

It still boggles the mind how a good fellow like Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace continues to have Carl Poston as his agent.

Sure, as the Rams' franchise-tag player, Pace will be paid a salary of $7.02 million to play for the team in 2004. And yes, that's a lot of money. But by not agreeing to a long- term contract, Pace receives no signing bonus. In their latest proposal, the Rams offered Pace a signing bonus of $13 million. Poston demanded an absurd signing bonus of $27 million.

Pace inexplicably is taking a big risk, choosing to work on year-to-year contracts because of Poston's refusal to negotiate a rational contract. NFL salaries aren't guaranteed. If Pace suffers a career-threatening injury, he could lose his financial security. That's the real bonus of a signing bonus -- the player keeps every penny of it, even if his career ends because of an injury.

Example: Another Poston client, Denver linebacker Ian Gold, couldn't come to terms on a contract extension, then suffered a severe knee injury. And now Gold is out of luck.

As Others See Us

Houston Chronicle baseball writer Richard Justice, on the Cardinals:

"In the adjoining clubhouse, where the Cardinals have brought in so many new faces they might need name tags, the players know manager Tony La Russa believes the Cardinals can win. They know he thinks a revamped starting rotation will be better than anyone thinks, that the bullpen will be solid and that the offense will again be among the best in the game. Yet this is the spring of speaking humbly, of saluting the Cubs and Astros for their noisy offseason and for hoping the world looks past these poor, pitiful Cardinals. . . . in truth, the Cardinals are thrilled to be flying below the radar screen. And in their heart of hearts, they think they're going to be in the race from beginning to end."

Reading Time, 5 minutes

Free Chris Carpenter.

Carpenter, the Cardinals' No. 3 starter, appears to be over his shoulder miseries. And if that holds true, Cardinals fans . . . . in the April issue of Sports Illustrated For Kids, readers picked Cardinal Albert Pujols to win the 2004 National League MVP award. . . . Mizzou coach Quin Snyder would help himself by hiring an assistant who could bring a new personality to the coaching mix. Someone to add more technical coaching input. . . . the San Francisco 49ers may make a run at Rams quarterback Marc Bulger, a restricted free agent.

Young Blues defenseman Christian Backman is an impressive player with a terrific future. . . . we're very happy for our friend Tony Wyllie, formerly of the St. Louis Rams, who's now vice president for the NFL Houston Texans. Wyllie and St. Louisan Natasha Simmons have announced their engagement. She's a graduate of Hazelwood East High School and soon will graduate from St. Louis U.'s medical school. A June 2005 wedding will be held in St. Louis. . . . bench talk: La Russa is very impressed by young infielder Hector Luna, who was obtained from Cleveland in the Rule 5 draft. . . . will the Cardinals find roster space for Cody McKay? He could be useful as a lefthanded-hitting catcher who can also play third base and first.

Speaking to Dan Patrick on ESPN, Texas Tech basketball coach and La Russa friend Bob Knight assessed the Cardinals' chances: "I think it's really going to be tough for the Cardinals because of the pitching that both Chicago and Houston have. But I also think that Tony's daily lineup and the pitching is going to be a little bit better than most people think. But I do think it'll be tough for them," . . . . St. Louisan Dave Phillips, the retired Major League Baseball umpire, has written a book about his experiences in the game. It's called "Center Field on Fire: An Umpire's Life With Pine Tar Bats, Spitballs and Corked Personalities." Bob Costas wrote the foreword. Dave will be signing the book at the Barnes & Noble store at 11952 Manchester Road in Des Peres on Sat. March 27 at 2 p.m.

It seems that Rams running back Marshall Faulk has inspired a new fashion trend in golf. When Faulk played in the Bob Hope Classic in January, he wore a thin, high-tech nylon mock turtleneck under a polo shirt. The turtleneck is usually worn under their jerseys by NFL players to help fend off the wind and the cold. GolfDigest.com reports that the Faulk look "has been popping up ever since" Faulk's appearance, and that golf-clothing companies are adding the shirts to their fall fashion line. . . . .last Saturday in the Class 5 high school boys basketball championship I had my first chance to see Tyler Hansborough, Poplar Bluff High's junior 6-9 center. What a special player. And he works so hard. He's being widely recruited; too many big-name schools to list here.

Kudos to retiring girls basketball coach Thad Strobach on his outstanding coaching career at Visitation Academy and Kirkwood High. . . . Steamers communications director Chuck Feise and wife Anne are new parents. Their first child, son Jack Francis Feise, was born March 3. . . . .and Gateway Grizzlies (baseball) general manager Tony Funderburg and wife Cathie are the parents of twin sons Will and Landon, born March 15. Congrats to all. . . . and a special salute to Wolfpack Soccer Club coach Marty Limbert, who was named National Coach of the Year by the United States Youth Soccer Association. . . . Missouri Valley Conference commissioner Doug Elgin was in Seattle on Thursday to see the MVC's Southern Illinois-Carbondale lose to Alabama, then flew to Milwaukee to watch MVC rep Northern Iowa play Georgia Tech.

Let's go bowling: yes, that was rocker Liz Phair bowling at Joe Edwards' Pin Up Bowl on Delmar, before her Tuesday night concert at The Pageant. . . . retired Rams guard Tom Nutten has gone into coaching; he'll be coaching tight ends for the Cologne franchise in NFL Europe. . . . the Show-Me Believers, off to an 0-2 in their second National Indoor Football League season, will play their home opener against the Lexington Horseman on Sunday (March 21) at the Family Arena in St. Charles. The Believers have a new coach and GM, Mike Wyatt. Ozzie Smith and Mike Jones will attend Sunday's game as the Believers celebrate the 1982 Cardinals and the 1999 Rams. Half the proceeds from the sale of $10 tickets will be donated to 30 different charities.

No one here really thought that the NIT would give St. Louis U. a home game against Notre Dame, did they? The NIT needs a high-profile school like Notre Dame to make it to the finals to maximize the tourney's exposure. . . . Mike Claiborne (KFNS) is doing sportscasts this weekend for KPLR-TV Channel 11's 9 p.m. newscasts. Claiborne already is doing Blues' post-game shows for the station. . . . the role of religion in Kurt Warner's life and career is the subject of a new Fox Sports Net Across America show, which airs locally on Sunday at 9 p.m. on Fox Sports Midwest. Featured is an interview with Warner conducted by Dan McLaughlin.

I've already received a bunch of e-mails from angry Mizzou fans who are upset over Bill Laurie's decision to name the university's new basketball arena after his daughter, Paige. Yes, Laurie's money ($25 million) got the arena off the ground, and I realize that "Paige" is also the title of Laurie's sports corporation, but still: the arena name is tacky. . . . speaking on KFNS this week, Fox 2's Joel Goldberg said there's some acrimony in the Blues locker room. One player told Goldberg that there were too many cliques. . . . the sports department at KMOX will miss producer Lisa Herman, who is leaving to become marketing director and web master for the Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce in Mt. Vernon, Ill.

Speaking to Rich Eisen on the NFL Network, Rams wide receiver Torry Holt seemingly backed Marc Bulger over Warner to start in 2004. "To be perfectly honest with you, I think our quarterback will be Bulger going into next year; that was our quarterback at the end of the season. If something goes wrong in the offseason, minicamps, training camps or something, then it will be somebody else, but I'm penciling in that Marc Bulger will be our starting quarterback going into next year. I think he did a terrific job for us this year. At times he struggled, and people were talking about the interceptions that he threw. But we throw the ball a lot, so the risks for interceptions are high. Overall, I think he's done a great job. I think he's 18-4 as a starter. So I think he will be our quarterback. I think this year was good for him. He learned a lot, going to the Pro Bowl, playing well. I think that gave him a tremendous amount of confidence, which will carry over to next year. So, right now, Marc Bulger is our guy, and we'll go from there."
    As one of the Niners fans here, I would love it if they got Bulger, depending of course on what the compensation to the Rams would be. And taking him from a divisional rival would make it all the better.

It would be an interesting addition for the Niners...I'd support it...

BTW, Bernie doesn't know anything aboot hockey

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

There was an editorial comment on ESPN this morning that drew the same conclusion. The agent is comparing Pace to an all-pro QB and acting like they have leverage that just isn't there. Pace will be fine working as a franchise player if he's not hurt or his play doesn't otherwise decline. But those are big if's. A bad injury leaves him in the cold without the big signing bonus payday. He's a fool. JJ.

Comment

Is Bulger a homo. I think so. Not that theres anythig wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raul Duke@Mar 19 2004, 06:22 PM
          Is Bulger a homo. I think so. Not that theres anythig wrong with that.
          Indu?
          Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

dear God, please say it ain't so.

i don't support this. i think rattay can be just as good as bulger. which makes this pointless to give up a 1st and a 3rd for him when you have a guy who can probably do just as well. we need a Wr before we need a new QB.
            Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan+Mar 19 2004, 06:26 PM-->
              QUOTE (hkyfan @ Mar 19 2004, 06:26 PM)

Originally posted by Bernie devotes 1/300th of his article to the Blues despite their being the only pro STL team playing now
              Young Blues defenseman Christian Backman is an impressive player with a terrific future. . .
              Great analysis!!!!!1111one :rolleyes:
              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

What does everyone see the Postons' job to be?

I thought they are in the employ of Gooey Butter Pace. Seems like he's got the best results from them ie.. similar money then the Rams have offered (under the current circumstances)....an ability to negotiate more (after 7/1/04) AND yet another summer and early autumn where Orlando can avoid the sweat of camp while sucking on a dozen Krispy Kremes daily while his team-mates are having EKGs in the swealtering midwest sun.

Really stupid people aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 19 2004, 10:09 PM
                  What does everyone see the Postons' job to be?

I thought they are in the employ of Gooey Butter Pace. Seems like he's got the best results from them ie.. similar money then the Rams have offered (under the current circumstances)....an ability to negotiate more (after 7/1/04) AND yet another summer and early autumn where Orlando can avoid the sweat of camp while sucking on a dozen Krispy Kremes daily while his team-mates are having EKGs in the swealtering midwest sun.

Really stupid people aren't they?
                  They will look pretty stupid if he shows up in August with another one year contract and then rips open his knee.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by ohio BLUES+Mar 19 2004, 07:47 PM-->
                    QUOTE (ohio BLUES @ Mar 19 2004, 07:47 PM)

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 19 2004, 10:11 PM-->
                    QUOTE (TTB @ Mar 19 2004, 10:11 PM)

Originally posted by 007+Mar 20 2004, 12:06 AM-->
                    QUOTE (007 @ Mar 20 2004, 12:06 AM)
                    Originally posted by ohio BLUES@Mar 19 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by dhaab+Mar 20 2004, 01:02 AM-->
                    QUOTE (dhaab @ Mar 20 2004, 01:02 AM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2004, 10:11 PM

The Postons usually get what they want by using their tactics. They have proven to be among the best agents in the NFL. There's a reason why they have so many clients.

Comment

• Working...
                      X