• Show
Clear All

• McCain Defends Kerry's Record on National Security

McCain Defends Kerry's Record on National Security
    Ariz. Senator Calls for More Civility in Debate

By Charles Babington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, March 19, 2004; Page A01

Republican Sen. John McCain yesterday defended Sen. John F. Kerry's record on national security, undercutting the Bush-Cheney campaign's latest attacks on the Democratic presidential challenger and frustrating conservatives hoping for a unified front against the Massachusetts senator.

Some of Bush's staunchest backers seemed infuriated by McCain's comments, which ran counter to the Republicans' theme of the week and landed on an otherwise quiet day, with Kerry on vacation in Idaho. Conservative talk show hosts, including Laura Ingraham, denounced McCain's remarks, and by midday the senator was declining most interview requests.

Source
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

well...if there is anything Laura Ingrahm would denounce it would be the truth.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

And cue the "McCain is a closet Democrat" post in 3...2...1...

Comment

McCain isn't a democrat...he's a republican...he's just a good, honest person, which is the exception to the rule nowadays.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 19 2004, 10:50 AM
          McCain isn't a democrat...he's a republican...he's just a good, honest person, which is the exception to the rule nowadays.
          Don't you call Lieberman a Republican? If not, many of your friends do. What's the difference?
          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Just like Zell Miller.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

No shit, Sherlock. :rolleyes:

Note "closet".

Comment

I don't care what party a "true and honest person" represents.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I think he has different points of view on different issues, and he will have to explain his voting record. But this kind of rhetoric, I think, is not helpful in educating and helping the American people make a choice."
                  "Both sides have been beating up on the other in the most negative campaign earlier than I've ever seen," he said. "I'd like to see it stop. I'd like to see a serious discussion about Medicare, Social Security, education, what we're going to do about the deficit and overspending."

Hitting the same theme on the "Early Show," he said, "I think we ought to have open and honest debates on those issues. I think the president has led this nation with clarity since September 11th. I'm supporting his reelection. But I would certainly hope that we could raise the level of this debate. Otherwise, we're going to have very low voter turnouts in November."
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

McCain supported his friend, but notice he never explained WHY he thinks Kerry is strong on defense. He just said he is. I'm still waiting for some evidence myself.
                    "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Amazing that Nick would mischaracterize his remarks.
                      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Like I said in the other thread, McCain is coming as close as he can to endorsing Kerry without actually doing it.

For the record, McCain isn't a closet Democrat. He's a pretty conservative Republican, actually, with a few prominent exceptions, like privacy rights or civil unions. But then again, even there he's really taking more of the classic Republican/Libertarian "keep the government out of our business" position, rather than the Bush/Ashcroft "let's pass amendments to keep gay people from getting married" position. Plus, he is one of the more honest politicians in our current debate.

Comment

I think the president has led this nation with clarity since September 11th. I'm supporting his reelection
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

On both morning TV programs, McCain reiterated that he will not leave the Republican Party or accept anyone's vice presidential offer. He said on CBS, "The vice president only has two duties. One is to break a tie vote in the Senate and the other is to inquire daily as to the health of the president. I prefer being in the Senate."
                            Too bad McCain got Roved last time around. It's tough not to like this guy.
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 19 2004, 11:01 AM
                              I think the president has led this nation with clarity since September 11th. I'm supporting his reelection
                              What part of "without actually doing it" was unclear?

Comment

Working...
                              X