Can a 2 year old read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 2 year old read?

Strange things are afoot at the Gonzo household.

My wife just called me freaking out b/c it seems our little one, who just turned two a few months ago can read. This doesn't seem possible yet, as she hasn't shown that she even knows all the letters or their sounds.

She was watching TV, and a title appeared, with no pictures or anthing and it just said "Bubbles" and as soon as it came on, she said, "Bubbles" and got really excited b/c when you're 2 bubbles are the shiz-nit. I figure she'd probably just seen that show several times and recognized the begining, but the wife says no, they'd never seen that episode and we haven't tried teaching her that word.

She also knows that B-A-T-H is bath, but I'd always figured that was just b/c we always spell it, then soon after she takes a bath.

Anyway, I can't imagine this is possible. Anyone have any thoughts?

My 3 year old can count to ten in Spanish. I blame Dora.
    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 19 2004, 09:20 AM
      Perhaps the were pictures of bubbles on the screen?
      She was watching TV, and a title appeared, with no pictures or anthing and it just said "Bubbles"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 19 2004, 09:16 AM

My wife just called me freaking out b/c it seems our little one, who just turned two a few months ago can read. This doesn't seem possible yet, as she hasn't shown that she even knows all the letters or their sounds.

She was watching TV, and a title appeared, with no pictures or anthing and it just said "Bubbles" and as soon as it came on, she said, "Bubbles" and got really excited b/c when you're 2 bubbles are the shiz-nit. I figure she'd probably just seen that show several times and recognized the begining, but the wife says no, they'd never seen that episode and we haven't tried teaching her that word.

She also knows that B-A-T-H is bath, but I'd always figured that was just b/c we always spell it, then soon after she takes a bath.

I think it's absolutely possible.

My little brother taught himself to read by copping my Nintendo Power magazines. He was no older than four...

start playing foreign language tapes in that kids bedroom...she'll soak it like a sponge.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

don't mean to cast doubt, but maybe the word "bubbles" was spelled in bubbles?
          Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 19 2004, 09:16 AM

She's now officially smarter than half the people on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Mar 19 2004, 09:22 AM-->
              QUOTE (Iowa_Card @ Mar 19 2004, 09:22 AM)

My nieces know some Spanish cos of Dora too.

the 4 year old can spell and recognize her name, but she says she can't read even though I have explained to her how to start learning. She is hoping that when she turns 5 that reading will come to her...like a surprise gift or something.

She took my book by Roger Kahn when we were out by the pool last week. She asked if she could try to read it. She looked through it for a few minutes and then said "I never read a book without pictures before." She was very serious when she said this and it was difficult not to laugh.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by bigJOE@Mar 19 2004, 09:23 AM
                don't mean to cast doubt, but maybe the word "bubbles" was spelled in bubbles?
                Hey, I'm all for any logical explination. I asked the wife that initially, she said no.

As for Dora, she can say hola, gracias, de nada, and count to six. Our kids will be well prepared for the Hispanic invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Mar 19 2004, 09:23 AM
                  She's now officially smarter than half the people on this board.

That's a low estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Mar 19 2004, 09:27 AM-->
                    QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Mar 19 2004, 09:27 AM)

Originally posted by bigJOE@Mar 19 2004, 09:29 AM

well......if the kid can read, that's nucking futs. no explanation. and congrats....you have an einstein on your hands
                    That's what I thought. It's very hard not to be skeptical.

And Einstien couldn't read until he was 5, from what I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Mar 19 2004, 09:33 AM-->
                      QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Mar 19 2004, 09:33 AM)

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Mar 19 2004, 09:33 AM-->
                      QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Mar 19 2004, 09:33 AM)

I agree SLU. We just bought a few Spanish educational videos (not dora) for her and she loves music. Our 12 yo plays the flute and piano, so she even gets the benefit of hearing it "live" all the time. We also play a CD in her room at night while she is sleeping. It's got Beethoven, Motzart, Chopin and stuff like that on it.

As far as using both hands, she does that on her own. We make sure we don't force her to use one over the other.

Comment

• Working...
                        X