More Blatant lies from Bush and Cheney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Blatant lies from Bush and Cheney

These dudes are absolutely shameless. It's as if they have been reading some Bush backers on this forum and started stealing their rhetorical tactics. Blatant lies, repeated as often as possible. Shameless.

The linked story contains links to the direct quotes, for those who will immediately doubt the veracity of the source.
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/03/...ywar/index.html

Bush's war on truth
    The president insists on distorting John Kerry's words. But a simple check of the record exposes his con game.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    By Eric Boehlert

March 18, 2004 | The Bush campaign is twisting the meaning of a quote from Sen. John Kerry to the breaking point, making it clear that the president and his supporters will not allow facts to get in their way. Speaking yesterday at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, Calif., Vice President Dick Cheney declared that Senator John "has given us ample doubts about his judgment and the attitude he brings to bear on matters of national security." Cheney's money line in defining the supposedly weak-on-security Democratic candidate was this: "Senator Kerry has questioned whether the war on terror is really a war at all. Recently he said, and I quote, 'I don't want to use that terminology.'"

Cheney first debuted the zinger at a South Dakota fundraiser on March 8th: "Several days ago, Senator Kerry said he wasn't even comfortable calling this a war. He said, 'I don't want to use that terminology.'" President Bush chimed in the same day at a Texas fundraiser: "Just the other day my opponent indicated that he's not comfortable using the word, "war," to describe the struggle we're in. He said, "I don't want to use that terminology."

On March 13, at another Republican fundraiser in Kentucky, Cheney repeated the allegation: "On one side, we have the Democratic nominee, who is uncomfortable with the idea we are at war. Quote, 'I don't want to use that terminology,' he said last week." Then Cheney repeated the claim again in California on Wednesday.

But the accusation doesn't jibe with Kerry's recent tough rhetoric. For instance, on Feb. 28 at UCLA, in a speech on national security, Kerry spoke about "the war on terror." On March 3, the Kansas City Star reported that Kerry, in remarks in Washington, D.C., had vowed to "fight the war on terrorism." This week the Los Angeles Times quoted him campaigning in West Virginia: "When it comes to protecting the security of our nation and to winning the war on terror, America is unified."

So where did this I-won't-call-it-a-war-on-terror quote come from? A foreign policy-oriented interview Kerry gave the New York Times aboard an airplane, on March 5. Extended portions of the interview were printed in the paper, as a sidebar to a news story. At one point Kerry was addressing the big picture regarding "the war on terror", a phrase he used repeatedly during the interview. He said, "The combination of economic, the economic bleakness, the devastation, within countries that are potentially explosive, where you have very large young populations of uneducated people ripe for the pickings of radicalism, is a much bigger challenge than the world as yet has been willing to grapple with." Kerry concluded, "The final victory in the war on terror depends on a victory in the war of ideas, much more than the war on the battlefield. And the war -- not the war, I don't want to use that terminology. The engagement of economies, the economic transformation, the transformation to modernity of a whole bunch of countries that have been avoiding the future. And that future's coming at us like it or not, in the context of terror, and in the context of failed states, and dysfunctional economies, and all that goes with that."

There's not a college freshman in America who would read that passage and suggest Kerry is reluctant to call the struggle against terrorism a "war." That's simply not what he said. His point was obvious -- the war on terror, or "the war on the battlefield," is intricately connected with the war of ideas (economics, modernity, religious fanaticism.)

Kerry's phrase about not wanting to "use that [war] terminology" had nothing to do with Sept. 11, al-Qaida, Madrid or Baghdad. It was Kerry's clarification to reporters of the distinction between the war on the battlefield and the battle over ideas. But the Bush campaign is trying to transform the utterance into a false ideological dividing line.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the paste-and-cut ruse is being promoted by Bush's tools in the conservative media. Writing for the Wall Street Journal' opinion web site last week, James Taranto cited Bush's use of the "terminology" quote and insisted, "Bush's criticisms of Kerry are based on hard facts."

Better check again.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

they can't fucking stop lying.

cheney is again talking about Iraq, wmd's and al queda.

fucking unreal

if you lie enough, does it really become the truth?

it's a shame.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Comment

I just realized something. Remember the al Qaida "endorsement" or George Bush? This was in their statement:
        "Kerry will kill our nation while it sleeps because he and the Democrats have the cunning to embellish blasphemy and present it to the Arab and Muslim nation as civilization."
        That sounds EXACTLY like what Kerry is talking about here. Maybe they read the interview.
        "The final victory in the war on terror depends on a victory in the war of ideas, much more than the war on the battlefield. And the war -- not the war, I don't want to use that terminology. The engagement of economies, the economic transformation, the transformation to modernity of a whole bunch of countries that have been avoiding the future. And that future's coming at us like it or not, in the context of terror, and in the context of failed states, and dysfunctional economies, and all that goes with that."
        2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Comment

The Prince of smirk continues to lie!
            Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

where the fuck do you find those funny pics.....i can't find them on the site?
              Are you on the list?

Comment

There's not a college freshman in America who would read that passage and suggest Kerry is reluctant to call the struggle against terrorism a "war."
                I'm one dem and I say ...

Out

of

context.

I would expect nothing more from the Bush administration.

"
                Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Par for the course.

It's pathetic.

Don't Bush-backers get insulted at being treated like idiots?
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

The scariest thing is that their commercials filled with lies, rhetorical bullshit, and distortions of Kerry's record will sway enough stupid and gullible people to vote for Bush that it may end up winning the election for him.

All I got to say if that happens is:

America, you get what you ask for.
                    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 18 2004, 01:44 PM
                      The scariest thing is that their commercials filled with lies, rhetorical bullshit, and distortions of Kerry's record will sway enough stupid and gullible people to vote for Bush that it may end up winning the election for him.
                      That's not really any different than any election.

It's just a contest of "Who can get the people to swallow the most bullshit..."

"
                      Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Wow. Politics in America and there are candidates distorting each other's positions?

Can't be.

I remember something about the "worst economy in 50 years" back in 1992.

Maybe my memory is bad.

This is awful. Call the eleciton police, quick!

Comment

Lies are what they have going for them, they cannot run on peace, they cannot run on the economy, they cannot run on paying down the dept, they cannot run on unemployment.
                          They can run and lie though.
                          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Mar 18 2004, 01:11 PM-->
                            QUOTE (dvyyyyyy @ Mar 18 2004, 01:11 PM)
                            Par for the course.

It's pathetic.

Don't Bush-backers get insulted at being treated like idiots?[/b]
                            No - it's obvious they actually like it.

Originally posted by Arch Card@Mar 18 2004, 02:04 PM
                            Wow. Politics in America and there are candidates distorting each other's positions?

Can't be.

I remember something about the "worst economy in 50 years" back in 1992.

Maybe my memory is bad.

This is awful. Call the eleciton police, quick!
                            Feel free when Kerry does it to post about it arch. I am sure many of us instead of dismissing it as "just politics" will agree that it's BS or will tell you why it isn't.

You should try it some time. Instead of saying this is "just politics" why don't you say that it's BS that Bush/Cheney are such azzes?
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

• Working...
                              X