Follow-up editorial from WSJ from yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up editorial from WSJ from yesterday

John Kerry has taken a beating this week on national security, including from us, so let's give him credit for finally saying the right thing about events in Spain.

"In my judgment the new prime minister should not have said he was going to pull out of Iraq," the Senator told a Phoenix TV station late Tuesday about the comments by new Spanish leader Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero blaming last week's terror bombings on the U.S. "He should have said this is going to increase our determination."

Well said, and a sign that the Kerry camp is figuring out that its self-association with foreign critics of U.S. policy is not a political winner. Those remarks helped make up for the fact that on the same day Mr. Kerry's campaign had set up a conference call for reporters during which Howard Dean essentially blamed Mr. Bush for the murders in Spain. "The President was the one who dragged our troops to Iraq, which apparently has been a factor in the death of 200 Spaniards," said the Vermont voice of moderation.

Yesterday Mr. Kerry disavowed Mr. Dean's comments, but he'd be better off confining the former Governor to his Montpelier quarters through November. Even Americans who doubt the wisdom of toppling Saddam Hussein aren't going to buy the line that it explains the killing of 201 Spanish civilians. Americans believe that what we are trying to do in Iraq is honorable, and Democrats won't win either respect or votes claiming otherwise.

Sounds like Kerry is finally getting some sound advice.
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Those remarks helped make up for the fact that on the same day Mr. Kerry's campaign had set up a conference call for reporters during which Howard Dean essentially blamed Mr. Bush for the murders in Spain. "The President was the one who dragged our troops to Iraq, which apparently has been a factor in the death of 200 Spaniards," said the Vermont voice of moderation.
      Dean did not "essentially", or in any other way, blame Bush for the attacks in Spain. He pointed out that the terrorists themselves implicated Bush in the attacks on Spain.

Big difference, and more willful distortion from the media.
      2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Trig:

Don't you think the terrorists might have an agenda that would dictate who they publicly "blame?"

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Mar 18 2004, 11:15 AM
          Trig:

Don't you think the terrorists might have an agenda that would dictate who they publicly "blame?"
          Sure - terrorists say all kinds of goofy stuff. I don't believe much of anything they say.

That's not the point. Do you agree that the press has intentionally misrepresented what Dean was saying?
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

I think that ever since Dean went on his post-Iowa "name the states in alphabetical order" rant, he's been looked on as a bit of a buffoon by the public and the press.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 18 2004, 11:21 AM
              That's not the point. Do you agree that the press has intentionally misrepresented what Dean was saying?
              Trig:

Honest question. What exactly did Dean say? I'm not sure I've seen a transcript or exact quote yet.

Thanks
              "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 18 2004, 11:21 AM
                Sure - terrorists say all kinds of goofy stuff. I don't believe much of anything they say.

Trig, do you believe them (assuming "them" is actually a true terrorist organization) when they say (assuming a press release was actually issued by a true terrorist organization) that they endorse Bush for President over Kerry(assuming a press release was actually issued to that effect by a true terrorist organization)?
                I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Mar 18 2004, 11:26 AM
                  I think that ever since Dean went on his post-Iowa "name the states in alphabetical order" rant, he's been looked on as a bit of a buffoon by the public and the press.
                  Which was also an intentional misrepresentation by the press.

You've heard, haven't you, that Dean was wearing a microphone that eliminated the crowd noise, and that when that sound feed from that mike was used it made Dean sound like a raving lunatic who was shouting at the top of his lungs. When other sound feeds were used that included the sound noise, i.e., what the speech actually sounded like in the room, he sounded enthusiastic but not insane. '

I think ABC has even admitted that using the mike sound feed was not fair, and CNN has apologized for over-emphasizing the speech.

More intentional distortions by the press.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Mar 18 2004, 11:29 AM
                    Trig, do you believe them (assuming "them" is actually a true terrorist organization) when they say (assuming a press release was actually issued by a true terrorist organization) that they endorse Bush for President over Kerry(assuming a press release was actually issued to that effect by a true terrorist organization)?
                    I honestly believe that al Qaida would rather have Bush than Kerry.

Al Qaida wants bloodshed and chaos. Bush has given them plenty of opportuinties for that. He destabilized Iraq and left the doors open for them to rush in and cause mayhem.

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52@Mar 18 2004, 11:28 AM
                      Honest question. What exactly did Dean say? I'm not sure I've seen a transcript or exact quote yet.
                      I can't find a full article right now, for some reason, but here are some quotes, along with Republican lies about what he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/17/main/

In a conference call with reporters Tuesday, Dean said Bush's decision to invade Iraq "has apparently been a factor in the death of 200 Spaniards over the weekend."

Bush campaign chairman Marc Racicot angrily asserted in a written statement that Dean "blamed the deaths in Spain on President Bush and the war on terror."

"If Senator Kerry understands the nature of this threat and the need to take on terror, then he should immediately repudiate these troubling comments, and stop all efforts on behalf of his surrogates to blame America for these attacks," Racicot said.
                      http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease....id=120-03172004
                      WASHINGTON, March 17 /U.S. Newswire/ -- RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie made the following statement about Howard Dean's recent comments during a Kerry campaign conference call blaming the deaths in Spain on President Bush and the War on Terror.

"When asked whether he was linking U.S. troops in Iraq to the deaths in Spain, Dean referred to the videotaped comments of the terrorists and said, 'That was what they said in the tape. They made that connection, I'm simply repeating it.'

"Dean even issued a statement after the call, saying again, 'Today I was simply repeating what those who have claimed responsibility for the bombings in Spain said was the reason they carried out that despicable act.' (Associated Press, Nedra Pickler, Dean: Bush Responsible for Deaths in Spain, March 17, 2004)

"We cannot allow presidential candidates or their surrogates to become mouthpieces for terrorists. Blaming freedom-loving people for these attacks is not the way to defeat the scourge of global terror.

"Howard Dean said a number of untrue and irresponsible things during the course of his candidacy, including accusing the President of knowing about the 9-11 attacks before they happened. Those who seek the highest office in the land and those who speak on their behalf have a responsibility not to repeat the threats made by the terrorists we are working to defeat or by replacing the facts with rumors and fiction."

Comment

Trig, as I just mentioned to Kah, Al-Queda was conducting significant mischief during Clinton's years in the White House.

It won't matter to them if it's Kerry or Bush. Aggression by the U.S. gives them a cause to fight against. Lack of aggression by the U.S. gives them reason to declare victory and become more aggressive if they view the U.S. as weak.

Now I will return you to your regularly scheduled WSJ thread about Dean, already in progress. Sorry for the interruption.
                        I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 18 2004, 11:31 AM-->
                          QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Mar 18 2004, 11:31 AM)

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 18 2004, 11:31 AM-->
                          QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Mar 18 2004, 11:31 AM)

Originally posted by kah2523+Mar 18 2004, 12:23 PM-->
                          QUOTE (kah2523 @ Mar 18 2004, 12:23 PM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2004, 11:31 AM
                          Working...
                          X