Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would reading To Kill a Mockingbird

Christian group wants books banned

The Associated Press - CARTERSVILLE, Ga.

Some Bartow County parents want a bevy of books banned from the county schools' reading list.

At a Monday Bartow County Board of Education meeting, three parents with the group Crusaders for Christ told BOE members that several books contained offensive material and should be banned.

"You're going to answer to God almighty for your decision," said the group's leader, the Rev. Dwight Holcomb.

Among the books the Crusaders for Christ want banned are: "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck; "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury; "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee; "A Raisin the Sun" by Lorraine Hansberry; and "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" by Mildred Taylor.

County committees have deemed all the books appropriate, but committee members will now have to decide whether to repeal their decision. It is uncertain when the committees will make their decision because members will have to read the books before deciding.
    The committee should have simply told the fundies to just go to hell.

han solo

I am betting money...they would be none to happy with my Thailand stories...would they??

Comment

Repent or face the wrath of their version of Almighty.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Mar 17 2004, 10:26 PM
        Repent or face the wrath of their version of Almighty.
        Fuck their version of Almighty....

I dont need some knee-jerk, conservo wank preacher type telling me how to live..or what I should and should not read..

I have no use for idiots like these people...

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi+Mar 17 2004, 10:29 PM-->
          QUOTE (Indu WangZi @ Mar 17 2004, 10:29 PM)

Book-burning is as old as religion itself. For some reason, these closed minds belive that by tossing them off the shelves they will make them go away (and what they have against these books is mysterious to me).

Anyway, I love the fact that their campaign will have the reverse effect. It will make these books more romantic to the kids who know they were going to be banned.

And, of course, before that happens, all the folks on this committee are going to have to read them, too. A sin the can charge directly to the souls of these fundamentalists that are making them read them.

Great stuff!
          This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

The same people that want those books banned are the same people that make up the largest group of Bush loyalists that will vote for him.

That in itself is reason to vote the bastard out.
            “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

I still say it's the inbreeding.
              I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I'd break my foot up the ass of that group if they told me that I couldn't read those books. What a bunch of loons!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 17 2004, 11:37 PM
                  The same people that want those books banned are the same people that make up the largest group of Bush loyalists that will vote for him.

That in itself is reason to vote the bastard out.

And I don't know who to vote for yet...gar-BAJJJJJE

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I LOVE SATAN!!!
                    . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                    -mike
                    mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Bradbury rules. That wacko group can face the Mechanical Dog.
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Sometimes liberals want things banned. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain comes under fire because of the use of the N word. A lot of the stories by O'Henry that I used to read to 12 year old students would probably get me in trouble, if not fired in today's climate of political sensitivity. (Check out "The Atavism of John Tom Littlebear" some time.) As we become more and more enlightened about what offends people, our choices become narrower. Overall, I think it is best to be able to offend.
                        v

Comment

I wanna know what 'The Teacher' thinks aboot this...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Don't look at a small segment of attention grabbers as repesentitive of the entire Christian faith.

Whether it's liberal black groups wanting literature banned because it mentions the word "nigger", or, a conservative group like the one in the article posted above, both are very insecure people.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

• Working...
                              X