UPDATED: P-D update on Pace negotiations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATED: P-D update on Pace negotiations

The only common ground this time around is that both sides have proposed a seven-year contract. But that's apparently where any similarities end. On Jan. 26, the Rams proposed a seven-year, $42.5 million contract that included a franchise-record $13 million signing bonus.

On March 4, Poston submitted a counter-proposal. The exact terms aren't known, but they are believed to be not far removed from Poston's 2003 proposal, in which he sought a signing bonus of $23.75 million and close to $85 million total over seven years.

If the Rams and Pace don't agree on a contract offer by this afternoon, they're basically done negotiating until after July 15. Under league rule, if the Rams agree on a multi-year contract with Pace between March 17 and July 15, they lose the right to use the franchise tag - on any player - for the length of that contract with Pace.

P-D story
    Dude. Can. Fly.

12 million per year............hmmm, I think I'd rather get two first round picks in return.

Comment

Nobody else wants to pay him that AND give up two #1s.

He will be missing most of camp AGAIN.
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Mar 17 2004, 09:28 PM
        Nobody else wants to pay him that AND give up two #1s.

He will be missing most of camp AGAIN.
        I was thinking along those lines too and I was trying to think of teams who have enough cap room to make such a move. I know Baltimore does, but no way they do this with Ogden, who is better than Pace IMO. You are right TTB, all it means is that he will miss more camp.

Comment

Still, it seems like they could bump up the bonus to near what they want and keep the base the same.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

The Postons are costing him money but if Pace is too stupid to see than no one can help him.

They don't even negotiate in good faith.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Mar 17 2004, 09:38 PM
              The Postons are costing him money but if Pace is too stupid to see than no one can help him.

They don't even negotiate in good faith.
              Yeah, it's not even close.

They really are costing him a bundle. It should be pretty clear that the Rams are willing to tag him for eternity.

How much would say $15m signing bonus invested last year have yielded already? But if Pace is too stupid to notice that, so be it.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

The Postons are drinking champagne at breakfast while we're all castigating them for their ineptness. They've got a tiger by the tail and they know it. Good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 17 2004, 09:44 PM
                  The Postons are drinking champagne at breakfast while we're all castigating them for their ineptness. They've got a tiger by the tail and they know it. Good for them.
                  They are costing Pace money.

The Rams have the leverage and they know it.

They could get him a great deal if they would get off their outrageous demands.

Pigs will fly when he gets a $23 million dollar bonus out of Rams park.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I still say a huge bonus is possible, but then the base salary demands need to be lowered.

Like you said, TTB, they aren't negotiating in good faith. So tag his ass.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 17 2004, 09:47 PM-->
                      QUOTE (TTB @ Mar 17 2004, 09:47 PM)

Originally posted by DaLode+Mar 17 2004, 09:49 PM-->
                      QUOTE (DaLode @ Mar 17 2004, 09:49 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 09:47 PM

I think the Postons cost all their clients money.

If I'm in the draft room and a kid's name comes up and then I see Poston is his agent.....I'm asking...who is next on the list....we will pass on this kid because you can bet his first year is a waste because he won't be in camp and will hold out as long as possible.

As agents..the Postons suck balls.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Pace´s tag figure will be around 11 million next year. They cant keep putting the franchise tag on him every year. I say trade him for draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesterfield Cat@Mar 17 2004, 10:04 PM
                          Pace´s tag figure will be around 11 million next year. They cant keep putting the franchise tag on him every year. I say trade him for draft picks.
                          Having the Postons as his agent hurts his trade value as well.

Nobody wants to deal with them AND have to give up picks.

If they could get a 1st and a 2nd...I'd trade him in a minute.

Eventually the leverage goes to the Postons and Pace but to get it they have to play without getting the big bonus and thus completely at risk. NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Only the signing bonus is guaranteed money.
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

• Working...
                            X