• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsourcing Debate Turns Spicy for Powell

Outsourcing Debate Turns Spicy for Powell
    By Cynthia L. Webb
    washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
    Wednesday, March 17, 2004; 10:01 AM

Pleasing everyone is an impossible task, no matter how noble the cause. That doesn't stop most of us -- even high-ranking cabinet officials -- from trying anyway.

Secretary of State Colin Powell rediscovered this eternal truth on a trip to India where he tried to calm an increasingly emotional debate surrounding the outsourcing of U.S. jobs. He "sought to assure Indians on Tuesday that the Bush administration would not try to halt the outsourcing of high-technology jobs to their country," The New York Times reported. He then told India's government that it should return the favor by importing American goods and services, according to the paper. (Powell also spoke about opening up trade in advance of his India trip.)

Powell "said such a move was not a precondition for the continued outsourcing of American jobs to India," the Associated Press reported. "'There is no quid pro quo here,' Powell said after meeting with Foreign Minister Yashwant Sinha to discuss what has become a politically sensitive issue in the United States."

"Powell pressed Indian officials on Tuesday to open markets to U.S. firms to help defuse the politically charged issue of the outsourcing of U.S. jobs to India. But Indian officials said they saw no link, and Powell faced tough questions from Indian college students on a lively television program over what one student called U.S. hypocrisy,"Source
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Great article Nick.
    [Powell] "sought to assure Indians on Tuesday that the Bush administration would not try to halt the outsourcing of high-technology jobs to their country," The New York Times reported.
    Great to see which country's workers the Bush administration is looking out for.

Can we get a video clip of Powell saying that for the next Kerry TV commerical?
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 17 2004, 11:43 AM
      Great article Nick.
      [Powell] "sought to assure Indians on Tuesday that the Bush administration would not try to halt the outsourcing of high-technology jobs to their country," The New York Times reported.
      Great to see which country's workers the Bush administration is looking out for.

Can we get a video clip of Powell saying that for the next Kerry TV commerical?
      Why waste the money? You've already got the union vote. They are the only people that want liberal, job destroying, protectionist policies.
      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 17 2004, 11:48 AM-->
        QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 17 2004, 11:48 AM)

nick, can you post the whole article please?
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 17 2004, 11:48 AM
          Why waste the money? You've already got the union vote. They are the only people that want liberal, job destroying, protectionist policies.
          Keep telling yourself that. Meanhwile, all the techies who are out of work because of outsourcing - and are not in unions and are often Republicans - might think otherwise.
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 17 2004, 11:50 AM-->
            QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Mar 17 2004, 11:50 AM)

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Mar 17 2004, 11:50 AM-->
            QUOTE (SLUBLUE @ Mar 17 2004, 11:50 AM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 17 2004, 11:53 AM-->
            QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 17 2004, 11:53 AM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Mar 17 2004, 11:58 AM-->
            QUOTE (SLUBLUE @ Mar 17 2004, 11:58 AM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 17 2004, 12:00 PM-->
            QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 17 2004, 12:00 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 17 2004, 12:02 PM-->
            QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Mar 17 2004, 12:02 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 17 2004, 12:02 PM-->
            QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Mar 17 2004, 12:02 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 12:00 PM

I think it's free to register for their website

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 17 2004, 12:05 PM
              Show me an example of protectionist policies working. I've never seen one.
              best example:

US Trucks

There's a reason foreign cars such as the Honda Acord and Toyota Camry dominate car sales, but those companies can't sell trucks here: the import taxes on foreign trucks are too high.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

• Working...
                X