No announcement yet.

Osama bin Laden: Missed Opportunities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osama bin Laden: Missed Opportunities?

As the 9/11 commission investigates what Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush might have done to prevent the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, one piece of evidence the commission will examine is a videotape secretly recorded by a CIA plane high above Afghanistan. The tape shows a man believed to Osama bin Laden walking at a known al-Qaida camp. The question for the 9/11 commission: If the CIA was able to get that close to bin Laden before 9/11, why wasn’t he captured or killed? The videotape has remained secret until now. Over the next three nights, NBC News will present this incredible spy footage and reveal some of the difficult questions it has raised for the 9/11 commission.

In 1998, President Clinton announced, “We will use all the means at our disposal to bring those responsible to justice, no matter what or how long it takes.”

A Democratic member of the 9/11 commission says there was a larger issue: The Clinton administration treated bin Laden as a law enforcement problem.
    Bob Kerry, a former senator and current 9/11 commission member, said, “The most important thing the Clinton administration could have done would have been for the president, either himself or by going to Congress, asking for a congressional declaration to declare war on al-Qaida, a military-political organization that had declared war on us.”
    In reality, getting bin Laden would have been extraordinarily difficult. He was a moving target deep inside Afghanistan. Most military operations would have been high-risk. What’s more, Clinton was weakened by scandal, and there was no political consensus for bold action, especially with an election weeks away.

And just so you don't claim that NBC is a right-wing hack website...

Wednesday: What more could the Bush administration have done to get bin Laden?
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

it really is a pox on both of their houses. Clinton had the info and didn't act on it, Bush ignored it for 18 months.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

If everyone knew what a big deal he was, how big a threat why didn't Dubya get him his first week, month, year in office?
      No one has said that we went looking for him as soon as Dubya took over.
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 17 2004, 08:21 AM
        Wednesday: What more could the Bush administration have done to get bin Laden?
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

No question that Clinton, after the WTC and USS Cole bombings should have gone after Bin Laden.

Does anyone really think, however, that capturing Bin Laden would have prevented 9/11?

Comment

I forgot to post this but I went and saw Bob Woodward speak a few weeks back.

He essentially said that he feels the 9/11 commission is going to hit both administrations hard and he said that after speaking with Bush for his new book about going to war in Iraq that Bush did not pay close enough attention to OBL which is why he went into Iraq shooting first, asking questions later. That there was a sense by Bush that he blew it.
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Mar 17 2004, 08:23 AM
              If everyone knew what a big deal he was, how big a threat why didn't Dubya get him his first week, month, year in office?
              No one has said that we went looking for him as soon as Dubya took over.
              They are both culpable, yaks. The 9/11 commission will hopefully get some sort of handle on how much.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 17 2004, 09:25 AM
                I forgot to post this but I went and saw Bob Woodward speak a few weeks back.

He essentially said that he feels the 9/11 commission is going to hit both administrations hard and he said that after speaking with Bush for his new book about going to war in Iraq that Bush did not pay close enough attention to OBL which is why he went into Iraq shooting first, asking questions later. That there was a sense by Bush that he blew it.
                He said something like that on Larry King.
                He defended Bush quite a bit, but did talk about that too.
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Mar 17 2004, 09:26 AM-->
                  QUOTE (dvyyyyyy @ Mar 17 2004, 09:26 AM)

>>Does anyone really think, however, that capturing Bin Laden would have prevented 9/11?<<

I certainly do.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 17 2004, 08:28 AM
                    >>Does anyone really think, however, that capturing Bin Laden would have prevented 9/11?<<

I certainly do.
                    I do too. Why don't you, Iowa?
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 17 2004, 08:28 AM

I certainly do.
                      Actually, 9/11 would have only been prevented if our government guarded our borders and checked up on foreigners in the country better.

It wasn't OBL who hijacked those planes.

Comment

Why start with the Bushes and Clinton?

We've been laying the groundworks for the current scenario for about fifty years.
                        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Mar 17 2004, 08:29 AM-->
                          QUOTE (dvyyyyyy @ Mar 17 2004, 08:29 AM)

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Mar 17 2004, 08:29 AM-->
                          QUOTE (dvyyyyyy @ Mar 17 2004, 08:29 AM)
                          Working...
                          X