X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq: On The Record

Ain't technology great?

http://www.house.gov/reform/min/feat...on_the_record/

On March 19, 2003, U.S. forces began military operations in Iraq. Addressing the nation about the purpose of the war on the day the bombing began, President Bush stated: “The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder.”

One year later, many doubts have been raised regarding the Administration’s assertions about the threat posed by Iraq. Prior to the war in Iraq, the President and his advisors repeatedly claimed that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction that jeopardized the security of the United States. The failure to discover these weapons after the war has led to questions about whether the President and his advisors were candid in describing Iraq’s threat.

The Iraq on the Record Report, prepared at the request of Rep. Henry A. Waxman, is a comprehensive examination of the statements made by the five Administration officials most responsible for providing public information and shaping public opinion on Iraq: President George W. Bush, Vice President Richard Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, and National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice.

This database identifies 237 specific misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq made by these five officials in 125 public appearances in the time leading up to and after the commencement of hostilities in Iraq. The search options on the left can be used to find statements by any combination of speaker, subject, keyword, or date.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Bill Clinton:One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line. (US: Clinton Says Diplomatic Solution Preferable In Iraq, AAP Newsfeed, 2/5/98)

Bill Clinton: If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons-of-mass-destruction program. (Standoff With Iraq, The New York Times, 2/18/98)

Bill Clinton: Earlier today I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors… The international community had little doubt then, and I have no doubt today that, left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will use these terrible weapons again… I have ordered a strong sustained series of air strikes against Iraq. They are designed to degrade Saddam's capacity to develop and deliver weapons of mass destruction and to degrade his ability to threaten his neighbors… The hard fact is that so long as Saddam remains in power he threatens the well being of his people, the peace of this region, the security of the world… He will make war on his own people. And mark my words; he will develop weapons of mass destruction. He will deploy them and he will use them. (Text Of Clinton Statement On Iraq Attack, Agence France Presse, 12/17/98)

Madeline Albright: Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here, for the risk that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face, and it is a threat against which we must and will stand firm. (Secretary Of State Madeleine Albright, Secretary Of Defense William Cohen And National Security Adviser Sandy Berger Participate In Town Hall Meeting, Federal News Service, 2/18/98)

John Kerry: When I vote to give the president of the United States the authority to use force, if necessary, to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security. (Sen. John Kerry, Congressional Record, 10/9/02, p. S10174)

John Kerry: [W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real. (Sen. John Kerry, Remarks At Georgetown University, Washington, DC, 1/23/03)

Ted Kennedy: We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction. (Remarks By Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA) At The Johns Hopkins School Of Advanced International Studies, Federal News Service, 9/27/02)

Hillary Clinton: In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al-Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. (Sen. Hillary Clinton, Congressional Record, 10/10/02, p. S10288)

Bob Graham: We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction. (Seth Borenstein, U.S. Officials Plan Next Move, Aberdeen American News, 12/9/02)

Letter To President Bush, Signed By Sen. Bob Graham And Others: There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies. (Sen. Bob Graham And Others, Letter To President George W. Bush, 12/5/01 as quoted in Dennis Jenkins, Letter To The Editor, The Bellingham Herald, 10/2/03)

Sandy Berger: He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983. (Clinton Team Jeered During Town Hall, USA Today, 2/19/98)

Nancy Pelosi: Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process. The responsibility of the United States in this conflict is to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, to minimize the danger to our troops and to diminish the suffering of the Iraqi people. (Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Statement On U.S. Led Military Strike Against Iraq, Press Release, 12/16/98)

Carl Levin: We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them. (Committee On Armed Services, U.S. Senate, Hearing, 9/19/02)

Al Gore: We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country. (Text Of Remarks By Former Vice President Al Gore At The Commonwealth Club, San Francisco, Federal News Service, 9/23/02)

Al Gore: Iraqs search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power. (Text Of Remarks By Former Vice President Al Gore At The Commonwealth Club, San Francisco, Federal News Service, 9/23/02)

Robert Byrd: The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons... (Threats And Responses,” The New York Times, 10/4/02)

Jay Rockefeller: There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction. (Sen. Jay Rockefeller, Congressional Record, 10/10/02, p. S10305)

Henry Waxman: He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do. (Rep. Henry Waxman, Congressional Record, 10/10/02, p. H7767)
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Uh lazy, you're drooling again.
      2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

you're a masochist triggy...that's the only logical explanation.

The Democrats wouldn't have gone along with this war unless the general consensus was that Iraq had WMDs. Clinton thought it, Bush thought it. That's the point of Lazy's post.

So Bush decided to act on UN resolutions that were allowed to sit there over 12 years, and he gets burned because he did a poor job of explaining his full rationale.

Does that make me disappointed in Bush? Yes. Does that mean I want Kerry? No. Why do you keep wanting to fight this battle?

Agree.
        to.
        Disagree.

Damn...
        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Mar 16 2004, 03:26 PM
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Madeline Albright: Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here, for the risk that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face, and it is a threat against which we must and will stand firm. (Secretary Of State Madeleine Albright, Secretary Of Defense William Cohen And National Security Adviser Sandy Berger Participate In Town Hall Meeting, Federal News Service, 2/18/98)

A thoroughly unlikable human being. I was living at a hotel in Jakarta where, when she'd come into town, she'd take the entire 14th floor.

She treated the sweet Indonesian staff like shit and made you embarrassed to be an American.

Comment

The Democrats wouldn't have gone along with this war unless the general consensus was that Iraq had WMDs. Clinton thought it, Bush thought it. That's the point of Lazy's post.

So Bush decided to act on UN resolutions that were allowed to sit there over 12 years, and he gets burned because he did a poor job of explaining his full rationale.

Does that make me disappointed in Bush? Yes. Does that mean I want Kerry? No. Why do you keep wanting to fight this battle?

Agree.
              to.
              Disagree.

Damn...
              As much as you guys want to believe it so, Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy did not lead the march to war.

Moe
              The Dude abides.

Comment

This database identifies 237 specific misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq made by these five officials in 125 public appearances in the time leading up to and after the commencement of hostilities in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 16 2004, 03:38 PM-->
                  QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Mar 16 2004, 03:38 PM)

Working...
                  X