POTUS on recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POTUS on recession

"Recession means that people's incomes, at the employer level, are going down, basically, relative to costs, people are getting laid off."—Washington, D.C., Feb. 19, 2004
    The Dude abides.

I won't vouch for his MBA, but I can verify his current address.
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 16 2004, 03:02 PM
      I won't vouch for his MBA, but I can verify his current address.
      No debate on that, to my horror.
      The Dude abides.

Comment

Moe - since Bush's statement is completely incomprehensible, his supporters will now take pride that he can't be proven wrong about it!
        2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 16 2004, 03:10 PM
          Moe - since Bush's statement is completely incomprehensible, his supporters will now take pride that he can't be proven wrong about it!
          He doesn't say much for investing in an Ivy League education, does he? You'd almost think English was his second language...

Moe
          The Dude abides.

Comment

Ah, that's the beauty of it all, Trig.

Comment

Well, he is fluent in spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 16 2004, 03:14 PM
                Si, es veradero.
                The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 16 2004, 03:14 PM
                  Not exactly fluent. (Note: If I had employed the methods of Bush supporters, I would have screamed YOU ARE LYING ABOUT BUSH'S SPANISH!!!!!)

From the article below:
                  As the Spanish wire service EFE has noted, Bush speaks the language poorly, "but with great confidence."
                  He speaks Spanish exactly like he speaks English, economics, foreign policy, etc. -poorly, but with great confidence.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/span27.shtml
                  Gore and Bush employ splintered Spanish
                  But Hispanics seem to applaud the effort

Monday, September 27, 1999

By EDWARD HEGSTROM
                  HOUSTON CHRONICLE

HOUSTON -- Al Gore speaks his scripted Spanish haltingly, with an accent so heavy that hearing him speak the language just might be funnier than listening to Pepe Le Pew speak English.

But no matter how humorous and tortured the vice president's attempts at Spanish may sound, few Hispanics are snickering.

George W. Bush greets Latino crowds with a firm handshake and an imperfect Spanish sprinkled with words in English.

If the Texas governor's Spanish sometimes leaves onlookers more confused than enlightened, none complains.

After decades of neglect and discrimination, most Hispanics say they are delighted to see the two presidential candidates try to speak their language -- no matter how rehearsed, contorted, ungrammatical or downright unintelligible the result may sound.

"Of course it's funny" to hear Gore and Bush speak Spanish, said Maria del Pilar Marrero, a reporter with La Opinion, a Spanish-language daily newspaper in Los Angeles. "But on the other hand, people say it's good that they are trying to communicate with us.

"Now," she added, "let's see if they try to understand us."

Republican Bush first drummed up the confidence to roll his R's in public as Texas governor, and he has continued the practice as he campaigns for president. Not to be outdone, Democrat Gore has memorized a few short Spanish phrases, which he repeats -- over and over -- on the campaign trail.

Neither could be described as fluent.

Not all Latinos are pleased. Some see the token use of cue-card Spanish as a disingenuous effort to charm voters through symbols rather than substance.

"These guys get an 'A' for effort and an 'F' in sincerity," said Rolando Becerra, a local Cuban-American who hosts a Spanish-language radio talk show.

Still, an entirely unscientific survey of the first 10 people entering a grocery store in Houston's predominantly Hispanic East End suggests that the idea of Anglo presidential candidates speaking Spanish is quite popular among local Latinos.

All 10 of those stopped spoke Spanish. Two were opposed, one had no opinion, and the other seven said they considered it "marvelous" that Gore and Bush are speaking Spanish, no matter how badly. Recent immigrants, who have themselves struggled with the terror of daring to speak a second language in public, were particularly willing to forgive the candidates' imperfections.

Tellingly, the two who opposed the idea of politicos speaking Spanish were the only two interviewed who were bilingual.

"They're messing up our language," Elizabeth Garcia said. "We don't mess up their language, so why should they mess up ours?"

This country's stubbornly monolingual politicians have a long history of messing up other people's languages, but their linguistic transgressions have usually been forgiven. At the height of the Cold War in 1963, President Kennedy stood before the Berlin Wall and tried to capture the historic solemnity of the moment with a few words of German.

He said: "Ich bin ein berliner" -- literally, "I am a jelly doughnut."

It didn't matter. The Germans understood that he meant to say that West Berlin had become a symbol of freedom and that in the broadest sense he considered himself one of the people of Berlin. They cheered politely.

The idea of using a foreign language in a presidential campaign caught on more recently. Democrat Michael Dukakis spoke competent Spanish in his 1988 campaign, but it didn't win him the election.

George W. Bush (in Spanish, that's Hor-GAY dub-LAY-oo BOO-sh) appears to have first shown off some Spanish in public during his first term as governor, when he recorded public service announcements. Discovering a good thing, he went on to use the language in his gubernatorial re-election campaign last year and has not stopped.

Bush captured about 40 percent of the Hispanic vote in his 1998 re-election. National Republicans are hoping he can set a similar record for a GOP candidate's share of the Latino presidential vote.

Still, the Texas governor's reputation for being fluent baffles most native Spanish speakers.

"I was under the impression he spoke Spanish, but it isn't true," del Pilar Marrero said. She said some observers may be confusing Bush with his younger brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who really is bilingual.

Turning more charitable, the journalist gives George W. credit for understanding almost everything said to him in Spanish.

By all accounts, Gore's Spanish is much worse. His campaign has spread the word that he is relearning the language he first picked up during a high school summer spent in Mexico. But the vice president clearly does not remember much. With a few unscripted exceptions, his use of Spanish is limited to a couple of oft-repeated phrases, and even those he mispronounces badly.

Yet it may be too simple to condemn the candidates as insincere. Even if their words in Spanish are sometimes practiced or contrived, watching Gore and Bush attempt to speak the language can reveal great insights into their personalities.

Anyone who finds Gore wooden in English ought to hear him try Spanish, where the memorized words come slowly and with an odd affectation, like a bookish high school valedictorian practicing his commencement speech in front of a mirror.

Even in his native language, Bush occasionally stands accused of relying on charm to take him where preparedness lets him down. It's doubly true in Spanish. The Texan will sometimes boldly move forward to meet Spanish-speaking crowds, relying on language skills a less courageous man might consider inadequate for the task at hand.

As the Spanish wire service EFE has noted, Bush speaks the language poorly, "but with great confidence."

Much has been made of the influence all those immigrants and their children will have on the presidential elections, particularly the 30 million Americans of Hispanic descent.

And a big chunk of those 30 million watch Spanish-language television.

The leader, Univision, draws more than 4 million U.S. viewers to at least one of its national news shows, and its credibility was recently proven with an Emmy for reporting. Univision's chief competitor, Telemundo, is also undergoing phenomenal growth.

In Los Angeles and Houston, Univision's local Spanish-language newscasts now receive higher ratings than any single English language news broadcast at the same times.

"Spanish-language television has become a dominant force," said Rafael Buitrago, the editorial-page editor of La Opinion.

He notes that statewide California candidates, for the first time, put together sophisticated Spanish television ad campaigns last year. Other candidates are catching on.

2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Well than fuck that, You ahve changed my mind.

Good job triggy.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 16 2004, 03:46 PM
                      Well than fuck that, You ahve changed my mind.

Good job triggy.
                      Come on Lazy - that was a perfect opportunity to say
                      "Well, Gore couldn't speak Spanish either!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 16 2004, 03:48 PM-->
                        QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Mar 16 2004, 03:48 PM)

Originally posted by lazydaze+Mar 16 2004, 03:50 PM-->
                        QUOTE (lazydaze @ Mar 16 2004, 03:50 PM)
                        Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Mar 16 2004, 02:59 PM
                        "Recession means that people's incomes, at the employer level, are going down, basically, relative to costs, people are getting laid off."—Washington, D.C., Feb. 19, 2004
                        The man is an idiot. I will cast my first ever vote for a Democrat in November.
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 16 2004, 07:15 PM-->
                          QUOTE (TTB @ Mar 16 2004, 07:15 PM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 03:50 PM
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 03:48 PM
                          Working...
                          X