Kerry misquoted on "foreign leaders"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry misquoted on "foreign leaders"

This won't stop Republicans from demanding names, though, and I'm sure someone wil be along shortly to interpret what Kerry meant by "more".

http://www.drudgereport.com/kerrybo.htm
    GLOBE REPORTER CLAIMS TAPE RECORDED KERRY 'MORE' LEADERS NOT 'FOREIGN' LEADERS; TRANSCRIPTION 'SCREW-UP'

A BOSTON GLOBE reporter at the center of a growing controversy over comments made by John Kerry last week in Florida now claims he "screwed-up" -- and John Kerry never bragged how "foreign leaders" privately backed his presidential bid!

"I mistranscribed a key word," explains Patrick Healy, a political reporter for the BOSTON GLOBE who covered the event in a pool capacity.

"Listening to the audio recorder now, in the quiet of my house, I hear 'more
    leaders' and I am certain that 'more leaders' is what Senator Kerry said."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcas...ry16mar16.story
    WASHINGTON — The Bush administration and its supporters Monday continued to pressure Sen. John F. Kerry to identify the foreign leaders he claims want him to defeat President Bush this November, adding that if he doesn't name names, his claim must be untrue.

Meanwhile, the Kerry campaign attempted to back away from the original assertion, seizing on a reporter's clarification.

The Boston Globe reporter who was covering a Florida fundraiser for Kerry on March 8 wrote in a pool report, which was distributed to the rest of the press corps, that Kerry said he had spoken with "foreign leaders" who had indicated they want him to beat Bush.

But on Monday, the reporter said that, upon review of his tape, he realized that Kerry had in fact said "more leaders" want him to beat Bush.

During the past week, Kerry never disputed that he was talking about foreign leaders when referring to dissatisfaction abroad with Bush. He told reporters Sunday he was talking about "people around the world" at "different levels."

But the campaign said Monday that the Globe's clarification demonstrates some ambiguity about what Kerry meant. His reference to "more leaders," said Kerry's spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter, "could mean anybody." The media's repeated references to "foreign leaders" allowed critics to suggest he was talking about heads of state. "He was misquoted," said Cutter. "Had he not been misquoted, this wouldn't be a story."

Nonetheless, administration officials continued to pummel the presumed Democratic nominee over the originally reported comment about "foreign leaders." On Sunday, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell called on Kerry to name the leaders in question.

And Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney, speaking at a congressional fundraiser in Phoenix, said Americans deserved to know what the Massachusetts senator had been telling leaders abroad.

"It is our business when a candidate for president claims the political endorsement of foreign leaders," Cheney said. "At the very least, we have a right to know what he is saying to them that makes them so supportive of his candidacy."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan, at a White House briefing, suggested several times that Kerry was "making it up."

And Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.), in a conference call arranged by the Bush-Cheney campaign, said: "He clearly has an obligation to, you know — you put up or you shut up. You don't make up reckless charges and then say, 'Well, it's really secret, I can't tell you.' "
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Could it be any more obvious that a President Kerry would be more welcome in any other nation than is GWB?

I'm against terrorism, don't get me wrong. But our chances of extinguishing it by ourselves is NIL.

Moe
    The Dude abides.

Comment

The world was supposed to be a better place without Saddam Hussein in power. It is not.

The world will most definitely be a better place without George W. Bush in power.
      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Originally posted by dredbyrd@Mar 16 2004, 12:59 PM
        The world was supposed to be a better place without Saddam Hussein in power. It is not.

That probably depends a lot on where you live.
        Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Mar 16 2004, 12:55 PM
          I'm against terrorism, don't get me wrong. But our chances of extinguishing it by ourselves is NIL.
          It's a testament to the propaganda of the Republicans that anyone left of Bush feels the need to preface any remarks with "I'm against terrorism".

You're correct, of course. Alienating our allies won't make them any more likely to help us weed out sleeper cells in their countries. Some of the 9/11 terrorists were based out of Germany, right? So wouldn't it be a good idea to keep Germany on our good side, so that their intelligence is more willing to help us go after them?
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 16 2004, 12:59 PM-->
            QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 16 2004, 12:59 PM)

Originally posted by lazydaze+Mar 16 2004, 01:00 PM-->
            QUOTE (lazydaze @ Mar 16 2004, 01:00 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 16 2004, 01:00 PM-->
            QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Mar 16 2004, 01:00 PM)

You're concerned with conflicts of interest?

When did this change take place?
            Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 16 2004, 01:02 PM-->
              QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 16 2004, 01:02 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by dredbyrd+Mar 16 2004, 01:02 PM-->
              QUOTE (dredbyrd @ Mar 16 2004, 01:02 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 16 2004, 02:02 PM-->
              QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 16 2004, 02:02 PM)

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak+Mar 16 2004, 01:04 PM-->
              QUOTE (Moe_Szyslak @ Mar 16 2004, 01:04 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 01:02 PM

Moe,

You're running out of sides of your mouth from which to talk,

When we talk about government spending, you call for Bush to "lead" and say he's a hypocrite for busting the budget.

When he leads in the area of foreign policy, you rip him for not "going along with the crowd".

Can't have it both ways.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 16 2004, 01:05 PM-->
                QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 16 2004, 01:05 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 01:02 PM
                Working...
                X