Modest Mouse - very Nice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modest Mouse - very Nice!

SteveI and backstop - I just picked up Modest Mouse The Moon and Antarctica at your suggestion and listened to it on the way in to work.

Very nice. I don't know how I overlooked them. Isn't it strange how sometimes there are really good bands that you have heard of and have heard that you would like, but you never get into them and then for one reason or another you finally hear them and feel like you've already heard them?

Oh - and one of the songs on the album is in some TV commercial, right?

Thanks for the tip. If you have more suggestions, let me know.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 16 2004, 12:20 PM
    Very nice. I don't know how I overlooked them. Isn't it strange how sometimes there are really good bands that you have heard of and have heard that you would like, but you never get into them and then for one reason or another you finally hear them and feel like you've already heard them?
    I know how it is...happens to me all the time....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

According to All Music Guide some similar artists are:

Built to Spill, Archers of Loaf, Sunny Day Real Estate, Panoply Academy Glee Club, The Fire Theft, The French Kicks, Tiara, Dismemberment Plan, Mercury Rev, Superchunk, Yo La Tengo

Mr. G

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 16 2004, 12:20 PM
        Oh - and one of the songs on the album is in some TV commercial, right?
        Yeah, but I can't remember which commercial...seems like it's a phone company. Maybe a car. Obviously, I have no clue.

Anyway, glad you enjoy them. I thought they'd be up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goalie@Mar 16 2004, 01:08 PM
          According to All Music Guide some similar artists are:

Built to Spill, Archers of Loaf, Sunny Day Real Estate, Panoply Academy Glee Club, The Fire Theft, The French Kicks, Tiara, Dismemberment Plan, Mercury Rev, Superchunk, Yo La Tengo

Mr. G
          Thanks for reminding me about All Music. I often forget that site exists, and it's pretty interesting.

Of the bands listed, I can recommend BtS, Sunny Day, Mercury Rev, Superchunk and Yo la Tengo. I've seen all of those except Yo La Tengo, and all were great shows.
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop+Mar 16 2004, 01:25 PM-->
            QUOTE (backstop @ Mar 16 2004, 01:25 PM)

I like Modest Mouse myself...I love the lead singers lisp.

Comment

The Moon & Antarctica is my favorite Modest Mouse album....

And I'd say that "similar artists" is fairly accurate too. I'd put the Archers Of Loaf & Yo La Tengo in my top 10...and Dismemberment Plan & Sunny Day Real Estate in my top 15.

Both Modest Mouse & The Walkmen have been used in car commercials.
              "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
              -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

• Working...
                X