Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Not Renteria/Pujols or Pujols/Renteria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not Renteria/Pujols or Pujols/Renteria?

I just thought of this and haven't fully reasoned it.

But, I think Renteria is a guy who could flourish in the 3 spot of a lineup, similar to Nomar.

Put him 3 and Albert 4. Renteria is protected big time and gets plenty to hit. Then, Edmonds 5.

Alternatively, Edmonds 5, Pujols 4, Renteria 5.

Pujols sees somepitches based on Edgar's RBI ability.

Just trying to kill time..... The problem, of course, is at the top of the lineup.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

why doesn't renteria just hit effing leadoff?
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Then you have Rolen batting 2nd or 6th.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I think you could make a case that he's too good of a middle lineup guy to hit leadoff.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I like the idea of Edgar hitting 3rd. He is on base in front of Pujols.

The only downside I see is maybe he doesn't steal as much so we don't leverage his speed as well as hitting 1 or 2 or lower like 6 or 7.
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 16 2004, 11:16 AM
            I think you could make a case that he's too good of a middle lineup guy to hit leadoff.
            You could also make a case that While Edmonds and Rolen strike out a bit, they also get on base a bunch, and Renteria is great at driving them in from the 6 hole.

Also, in batting him 6th, he provides Rolen with protection.
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Very true, Zez.

It would have Rolen six and Sanders 7. Matheny 8 I suppose.

Like I said, the problem is the top of the order. I'm not convinced Edgar is suited for leadoff, mentally if nothing else.

I guess it doesn't make much difference. I imagine Edgar will bat 6th, with our 2b/lf batting leadoff and 2nd.

Though I have no idea who they'll be and how they'll fit there.

Comment

I think Edgar should bat 2nd actually....purely because I think you either have to put him or Sanders in the 2 hole.

The problem then is you have Ks at the top of the lineup. the other option puts K Sanders after Rolen (sho strikes out too much as well)

Comment

I hate this discussion.

can we bitch about Kiko or Simo some more?

Robinson
                  Edmonds/Hart
                  Pujols
                  Edmonds/Rolen
                  Rolen/Sanders
                  Sanders/Renteria
                  Renteria/Hart
                  Matheny
                  P
                  Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 16 2004, 11:26 AM
                    I think Edgar should bat 2nd actually....purely because I think you either have to put him or Sanders in the 2 hole.

The problem then is you have Ks at the top of the lineup. the other option puts K Sanders after Rolen (sho strikes out too much as well)
                    I guess I'm not following your Ks discussions today.

Are you saying that putting Renteria at the top of the lineup puts too many Ks at the top?

Comment

After the last 1 and 1/2 years, I don't view Renteria as someone who needs a lot of protection. He had Martinez and/or Matheny hitting after him last year. And he still got on base 40% of the time. And most of that was due to hits, not walks, so it wasn't like people were pitching around him. Pitchers won't, for the most part, because although Renteria has some power, he doesn't scare anybody with it.

But he should hit somewhere in front of Pujols, leadoff preferably.
                      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Mar 16 2004, 11:27 AM
                        After the last 1 and 1/2 years, I don't view Renteria as someone who needs a lot of protection. He had Martinez and/or Matheny hitting after him last year. And he still got on base 40% of the time. And most of that was due to hits, not walks, so it wasn't like people were pitching around him. Pitchers won't, for the most part, because although Renteria has some power, he doesn't scare anybody with it.

But he should hit somewhere in front of Pujols, leadoff preferably.
                        Renteria doesn't need protection in front of him, but because of his ability to get a hit in all situations, he's the 2nd best protector in the lineup...meaning you should bat him behind a guy like Edmonds or Rolen who strikeout a bit....to make sure they get some pitches to hit.

at least in my opinion, anyways,

Comment

IMO you can't protect every single guy in the lineup. Why can't it be:

Robinson LF
                          Anderson 2B
                          Rolen 3B
                          Pujols 1B
                          Edmonds CF
                          Renteria SS
                          Sanders RF
                          Matheny C
                          p

Comment

The only guy who could be thought of as a regular who struck out too often relative to his walks was Edmonds. But Edmonds does walk, and he does hit for power.

Only two guys had more walks than K's--Pujols and Renteria. Not too many teams have two guys who do that--Atlanta last year, maybe?
                            I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Mar 16 2004, 11:30 AM
                              The only guy who could be thought of as a regular who struck out too often relative to his walks was Edmonds. But Edmonds does walk, and he does hit for power.

Only two guys had more walks than K's--Pujols and Renteria. Not too many teams have two guys who do that--Atlanta last year, maybe?
                              Exactly.

This is why I didn't understand BBZ's comment about too many Ks at the top of the lineup.

But then, I didn't understand him saying he wouldn't start Carl Crawford if they traded for him because he struck out 102 times last season.

Comment

Working...
                              X