Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College football realignment thoughts

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Fe...ealiginment.htm
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Awful, awful idea. I've never been a fan of football playoffs but I'd support a 16-team college football playoff before I'd support this. Really, if they're going to realign all the teams like that, they might as well just dispense with the fiction that these are college students, and make them NFL farm teams.

Comment

I'm not a fan of expanded playoffs (we already have a one game playoff) for cfb, but I think a playoff is inevitable. That being the case, somebody needs to get out in front of it and make sure that what's good about college football isn't thrown out with the playoff system. That will necessarily require conferences to be realigned, so I don't find his proposal to be bad. He could perhaps increase the number of teams in conferences so that he doesn't exclude so many, but the reality is that many of the current division 1 schools simply don't have the resources to compete effectively at that level, and a little thinning of the herd should occur.

Comment

lame idea...

how about...

1) You don't get to play any 1-AA teams.
        2) You have to win your conference to be in the title picture
        3) Require all football conferences to beef up to 12 teams and have a play off (see below)
        4) Expands the BCS to allow for a playoff.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

I don't like this idea. To have a mini-version of the Big 12 without Colorado and Nebraska is a travesty.

I'd make everyone start the first Saturday in September and end by Thanksgiving.

I would then take the consensus top eight ranked teams, and over the semester break, institue a playoff system that will yield a championship game the second Saturday in January.
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I also agree about the schedueling of D1A and lesser schools. That must end.

I'd turn the D1 schedule makering process over to a computerized system, ala the NFL. Only D1. school will be entered. Then, as in the case of Missouri, the Middle Tennessee's, Arkansas State's, and Eastern Illinois' of the world would be replaced by Washington State, Georgia, and Pitt. for your non conference.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 15 2004, 04:10 PM
              2) You have to win your conference to be in the title picture
              Blows my damn mind that no one has picked up on this.

2001, Nebraska gets creamed by Colorado in their season finale, don't even make it to their conf. championship game, but they finish #2 in the BCS standings. Miami kicks the living shit out of them. All the BCS people have to do is pass a rule stating "no team that fails to win its conference will be eligible to play in the national championship game". They do nothing, and two years later the exact same scenario happens with Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523+Mar 15 2004, 04:34 PM-->
                QUOTE (kah2523 @ Mar 15 2004, 04:34 PM)

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 15 2004, 04:27 PM
                I also agree about the schedueling of D1A and lesser schools. That must end.

I'd turn the D1 schedule makering process over to a computerized system, ala the NFL. Only D1. school will be entered. Then, as in the case of Missouri, the Middle Tennessee's, Arkansas State's, and Eastern Illinois' of the world would be replaced by Washington State, Georgia, and Pitt. for your non conference.
                That is the biggest thing to me.....I'm not impressed because you blew Mass. out by ninety points.

if you had six superconferences of 12 teams that would give you 72!!!! Schools...that would def. cover all the teams that currently compete in D-1(or who should). Mix up geographic rivalries while using the bigger conferences to EAT the smaller ones. Plus, championship weekend would be friggin unbelieveable. Conf. Championships are on neutral sites, other teams in the conferences are seeded and get to play one final game on their home turf(just for revenue fun)

you have to win your conference to be automatically BCS eligible, you have to win your division to be one of two wild cards.

BCS is 8 teams in seven games.

add other bowl games to let people play in january..fun
                Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Mar 15 2004, 04:36 PM
                  one thing has to be done: either no team has a conference championship, or all of them must play it. It's not fair that Oklahoma had to play a redhot K-State team and Michigan didn't have to play OSU again or whatever.
                  I don't agree.

No conference is required to have a championship game. Those that do, do so because they make a potload of money doing it. If they choose to schedule that extra game and make that potload of money, I have no problem making them pay for it. But I do have a problem with, say, forcing the Pac 10 to play a championship game they don't want.

Comment

In the perfect world, I'm against confernce championship games. But in this era of the mega conferences, it's an unfortunate reality.

In too many cases, one division in the conference has three teams with better records than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 15 2004, 04:42 PM
                      In the perfect world, I'm against confernce championship games. But in this era of the mega conferences, it's an unfortunate reality.

In too many cases, one division in the conference has three teams with better records than the other.
                      tough shit

i'm enjoying talking about this...
                      Are you on the list?

Comment

I like the idea of eight, twelve- team conferences, with only conference champions going to the playoffs. No wild card invitations. To do that, you have to realign the conferences, and I think it could be done geographically so that many rivalries could be preserved and new ones easily created. At the risk of sounding like Dev's ad agency, he set out a pretty proposal along these lines a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Mar 15 2004, 04:45 PM
                          I like the idea of eight, twelve- team conferences, with only conference champions going to the playoffs. No wild card invitations. To do that, you have to realign the conferences, and I think it could be done geographically so that many rivalries could be preserved and new ones easily created. At the risk of sounding like Dev's ad agency, he set out a pretty proposal along these lines a while back.
                          well, that sounds good too. Eventually, the smaller schools that are absorbed into those conferences will catch up.
                          Are you on the list?

Comment

Y'all are confusing college football with the NFL.

The reason college football is so popular is the history. The traditions. The RIVALRIES.

Radically realign college football and you flush most of that down the toilet. Remember a few years ago and Selig's crackpot idea to radically realign baseball? This would be far worse.

Comment

• Working...
                              X