Kerry Challenges Bush to Monthly Debates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Challenges Bush to Monthly Debates

I just hope Kerry doesn't freak out like Gore in the debates.

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/38124...06|reuters.html

BOSTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, visiting the site of one of the most famous political debates in U.S. history, planned to challenge President Bush on Saturday to a "real discussion about America's future" in a monthly series of debates.

Kerry, already engaged in a running exchange of negative ads with Bush eight months before the November election, planned to deliver the challenge at the site of the historic Abraham Lincoln-Stephen Douglas debates in Quincy, Illinois.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

So did he actually challenge him?
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I guess having monthly debates truly would allow Kerry time to take all sides on every issue. Not a bad strategy

Comment

This is already shaping up as a campaign where the media observe Kerry under a microscope and neglect to point out the obvious facts about Bush's record. Kerry, say the Republicans solemnly, is given to flip-flopping?

Let's just start counting off the tops of our heads:

George W. Bush was opposed to a commission to investigate how and why 9-11 occurred, but then he changed his mind and backed it.

He certainly was opposed to a commission to investigate the intelligence failures on Iraq, but then he changed his mind and backed it.

He originally said he not only did not need to consult the United Nations, but also that he did not even have to consult the U.S. Congress. He now brags, "I went to the U.N. (before invading Iraq)."

Anyone remember how Bush, the corporate ethicist of Harken Energy, opposed the mildly reformist Sarbanes-Oxley bill? It was deemed slightly necessary in the wake of the staggering accounting scandals that caused the collapse of Enron, Tyco and WorldCom. Our president didn't think we needed any new laws to prevent such things, but changed his mind and signed it after it passed the House of Representatives with one vote against it.

Remember how we weren't going to negotiate with North Korea, then wouldn't negotiate but would "talk" but only in multilateral "talking" until Bush changed his mind yet again, and now we're in multilateral negotiations?

Remember when the United Nations was "unnecessary" and "irrelevant," and now the administration thinks the United Nations is so useful and necessary that we call on it not just for Iraq but for Haiti and other trouble spots, as well?

Remember when we didn't need any civilian or international advice about how to pacify and reconstruct Iraq, that our military could do it just fine, thank you?

Boy, that John Kerry, he just flip-flops all the time, doesn't he?

Copyright Creators Syndicate
        Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Mar 15 2004, 12:27 PM

Boy, that John Kerry, he just flip-flops all the time, doesn't he?

[/b]
          Yes, he does.
          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Bush will never go for this in a thousand years.

Sharp move by Kerry. If Bush declines, he looks like a chicken. If Bush accepts, Kerry gets a LOT of free air time which would somewhat defuse Bush's money advantage.

I'm starting to like this John Kerry more and more. Seems like he doesn't miss a trick.

Comment

I'm sure the oratory from these two gifted speakers will be reminiscent of Lincoln-Douglas.

Bush mispronouncing words.

Kerry stiffly droning.

Sounds compelling.
              I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 15 2004, 12:34 PM
                If Bush declines, he looks like a chicken.
                Like Kerry did when Edwards challenged him? Wouldn't it be hard for Kerry to call Bush a "chicken" after he refused to debate Edwards one on one?
                Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 15 2004, 12:37 PM-->
                  QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 15 2004, 12:37 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 15 2004, 12:37 PM-->
                  QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 15 2004, 12:37 PM)

Given that Bush backers can denigrate Kerry's military record when he earns 3 Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star, anything's possible.
                  Link?
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 15 2004, 12:48 PM
                    3 Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star
                    Kerry is going to have to have something significant to run on soon.

Comment

I hope they have at it. W is always underestimated in debates.

Another Tree, Gore, was felled by W in debates.

It would be great for the country if they had them.

They ought to have one in Baghdad, another in Afgh, and one in Haiti, just to make sure they hit the affirmative action button.

Kerry indeed won many individual honors in 'nam, but my memory is bad. Did we win that war?

Comment

My guess is that Kerry really doesn't want to have monthly debates, he just knows that Bush wouldn't do it and will therefore try to make an issue out of it.

Actually, it would be kind of funny if Bush accepted. I kind of hope he does. But I think there is some commission that actually runs the presidential debates. Not sure how it would figure into the equation.
                        "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

I wish W would challenge him to a duel. Then we'd see how tough Kerry really is.

I hope they have the debates. We need a current debate on terrorism, no question about it.

And I hope they touch on 'nam while they're at it. Kerry was there, you know!

Comment

• Working...
                            X