• Show
Clear All

• Miklasz: See the Blues; see the Blues snooze

See the Blues; see the Blues snooze; hear the fans' boos
    By Bernie Miklasz
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    03/15/2004

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz

After another flat-tire loss in an important game, the Blues insisted that they came to the arena with hunger in their belly and adrenaline in their bloodstream.

"We were desperate on the bench, no matter what it looks like," center Doug Weight said.

Desperate on the bench?

Huh?

Perhaps the Blues should have transferred this desperation to the ice on a sleepy Sunday night at Savvis Center. Then maybe they wouldn't have been booed off the ice after an ambivalent effort against the visiting Calgary Flames.

Finally clicking under new coach Mike Kitchen, the Blues were seemingly renewed and revived. Sparked by trade acquisitions Mike Sillinger and Brian Savage, the Blues had crafted a 4-0-2 unbeaten streak, and a win over Calgary would have validated their progress.

Instead, the Blues were blanked 3-0 by the faster, more furious Flames. The Blues, again, lost ground to a horse they're stalking in the race for a spot, and favorable seeding, in the Western Conference playoffs.

And here we go again. When is the last time the Blues won a meaningful game? (Better dust off the franchise history book.) In this four-game home stand, the Blues welcomed Nashville and Calgary, two of the challengers in the Western duel. The result: a tie with Nashville, a loss to Calgary, and one Blues goal in 125 minutes. Where are the big stars in the games that matter most?

If a team keeps missing the net, surely it will miss an important opportunity, as the Blues did in both counts Sunday evening. The Blues put some dents on Calgary goaltender Roman Turek but couldn't break him. The Blues' offense, in most games, threatens to score about as much as your typical outdoor soccer team. On the other end, Blues goaltender Chris Osgood gave up an early, so-so goal to Marcus Nilson. "I thought (Osgood) should have had that," Kitchen said.

It was a relapse for Osgood, who had delivered a dependable series of performances. But the same can be said of most of the Blues on Sunday. Pavol Demitra whiffed or misfired on several inviting scoring chances. Weight was minus 2. Keith Tkachuk had no shots on goal. The big-money guns flopped again. Accordingly, the Blues were bumped into ninth place in the West, one slot out of the postseason with 10 games remaining.

"It's do or die right now," defenseman Bryce Salvador said. "We're running out of games."

The Blues were booed by the disgusted fans who stayed until the bitter end. The result, and the reception, wasn't the sendoff the Blues wanted as they head out on a three-game trip to Los Angeles, Anaheim and Dallas. They're in a stretch of playing four games in five nights.

At stake is the Blues' streak of making the playoffs for 24 consecutive seasons. The Blues may come up short, even though they are all but certain to finish with a winning record. But the streak isn't made of solid gold; the Blues had losing records seven times in their 24-season run.

But does it really matter if the Blues make the playoffs? Sure, they'd get a chance to host a few games and generate revenue for ownership. But this is an erratic collection of talent. There's nothing, at least so far, to suggest that the Blues could come up with the kind of consistency needed to make a postseason push. It's difficult to play inspired hockey when you're stifling yawns.

"Every game we need to get points," Salvador said. "And to not get points against a team in front of you (Calgary) is definitely frustrating."

After the latest depressing loss, players spoke of how all of their games are playoff games now. If Sunday night's 3-0 deflation is any indication, the Blues shouldn't stress about making the playoffs. They wouldn't last long, anyway, so what's the point?

Continue sleepwalking, boys.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Blues undefeated in 6 we hear nothing from Bernie.. Blues lose and he comes out..

How shocking.

"
    Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 15 2004, 01:06 AM
      Blues undefeated in 6 we hear nothing from Bernie.. Blues lose and he comes out..

How shocking.
      so, you defending their play or you just overlooking the obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 15 2004, 01:08 AM-->
        QUOTE (007 @ Mar 15 2004, 01:08 AM)

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit+Mar 15 2004, 01:10 AM-->
        QUOTE (mellanby_equals_grit @ Mar 15 2004, 01:10 AM)
        Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2004, 01:08 AM

Tell me what's untrue?

Does Bernie write anything when the Blues are winning or doesn't he?

"

Comment

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 15 2004, 01:18 AM
          Tell me what's untrue?

Does Bernie write anything when the Blues are winning or doesn't he?
          Yeah, you just don't pay attention...

did you read the Bits this weekend?

Blues GM Larry Pleau wasn't allowed to make any splashy moves, but his recent acquisitions of defenseman Eric Weinrich and forwards Mike Sillinger and Brian Savage represent quality incremental improvements. And the Blues gave up little in return.
          Its not my fault that you don't seek out his columns to read....

Comment

Oh please, you know what I'm saying.. He writes full articles ripping the Blues.. Only showing up for those full articles when they're losing.. When they are winning, you're exactly right.. You'll hear a small blurb about it inbetween Kurt Warner attending church and TLR's birthday.

"

Comment

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 15 2004, 01:24 AM
              Oh please, you know what I'm saying.. He writes full articles ripping the Blues.. Only showing up for those full articles when they're losing.. When they are winning, you're exactly right.. You'll hear a small blurb about it inbetween Kurt Warner attending church and TLR's birthday.
              What exactly has been positive aboot the Blues the past 24 months, anyway?

Comment

Sure, that 6 game unbeaten streak was nice, but the teams they needed to beat (Edmonton, Nashville and Calgary) they went 0-1-2.

That means they only gained 2 points against the teams they need to beat. That's not going to cut it.
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Mar 15 2004, 01:30 AM
                  Sure, that 6 game unbeaten streak was nice, but the teams they needed to beat (Edmonton, Nashville and Calgary) they went 0-1-2.

That means they only gained 2 points against the teams they need to beat. That's not going to cut it.
                  But its a streak? It means everything, just like that trivia question that's only good for marketing campaigns...

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 15 2004, 01:27 AM-->
                    QUOTE (007 @ Mar 15 2004, 01:27 AM)

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 15 2004, 01:34 AM
                    Contrary to your belief.. The Blues aren't the worst team in the league.. They're not even in the bottom 10.

I could be wrong on this but I don't remember any hockey articles from Bernie the first half of the season.. You know.. When many people had us at #1 in the power rankings.. I don't believe Bernie began writing on them til they started sucking.
                    That's all you got?

They will probably finish above .500, but they won't make the playoffs...if that's good for you, great...

For me, its downright pathetic that this franchise continues to squander away chances and money on a bunch of players that don't seem to give a damn...

And by the way, he did...you just didn't read them...

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Mar 15 2004, 01:30 AM

Absolutely right.. The point is.. I don't consider anyone credible if they can only tell one side of the story.. Doesn't mean they have to be the weathervane like Gordon, but Bernie makes clinical depression sound more fun than being a Blues fan.

"

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Mar 15 2004, 01:36 AM

They will probably finish above .500, but they won't make the playoffs...if that's good for you, great...

Please tell me where I said this?

And stop making up my points while you're at it.

"

Comment

• Working...
                          X