X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tazlaz
    replied
    Originally posted by devaskar+Mar 15 2004, 12:29 AM-->
    QUOTE (devaskar @ Mar 15 2004, 12:29 AM)

• CD
    replied
    Tazlaz:

I agree with you on this one...there is no way Utah State should have been left out in favor of Air Force. Hell, you could make a great argument that they were far more deserving than Washington, and U-Dub finished second in a so-called power conference.

Leave a comment:

• Tazlaz
    replied
    Originally posted by JackSparrow+Mar 15 2004, 12:22 AM-->
    QUOTE (JackSparrow @ Mar 15 2004, 12:22 AM)

• The Pocket Rockets
    replied
    I'm just impressed someone on this board knows who Tony Dobbins is.

Leave a comment:

• CD
    replied
    Oh wait...you're the Richmond fan. I knew someone was but forgot who it was. Sorry for telling you stuff about them you already knew!

Leave a comment:

• The Pocket Rockets
    replied
    Originally posted by devaskar+Mar 15 2004, 12:34 AM-->
    QUOTE (devaskar @ Mar 15 2004, 12:34 AM)

• CD
    replied
    Originally posted by The Pocket Rockets@Mar 14 2004, 09:13 PM
    Richmond has one of the best defensive players in the country in Tony Dobbins, who will guard Wisconsin's Harris. Jay Bilas sayed Richmond was a bad match-up for Wisconsin, and knowing little about the Badgers I'll have to trust him.

Richmond beat S. Carolina as a 14 seed in 98, and they have also won games as a 13 and 12 seed in the 80s, in addition to them becoming the first 15 seed to ever win a game. I'm not one who thinks their history has anything to do with their chances this year though.
    I'm actually leaning to Richmond right now in that game because Dobbins vs. Harris is a great matchup for the Spiders. Forget about Richmond's past and concentrate on what they did in 2003-04. They beat Kansas and Xavier and had a bunch of close losses to teams in the tournament. They're a pretty solid team.

Leave a comment:

• madyaks
    replied
    Originally posted by The Pocket Rockets+Mar 15 2004, 12:25 AM-->
    QUOTE (The Pocket Rockets @ Mar 15 2004, 12:25 AM)
    Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2004, 12:22 AM

• CD
    replied
    Originally posted by Tazlaz@Mar 14 2004, 08:38 PM
    That's irrelevant.

No team is supposed to have a true home-court advantage. Hence why the rule is written that no team can play on a court they played more than 3 games on. To prevent, say, Georgia Tech, from being placed in a bracket where it was possible for them to play in the Georgia Dome. (except for the Final Four, of course).

So to put Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, regardless of the # of games they played on whatever court they were on, was unfair. You want them in the East, put them in DC. But don't complain that you must now go to Milwaukee (which is around 90 minutes from Wisc's campus) when 2 years ago you had to drive a whole 2.3 miles from campus.
    It's not at all irrelevant. The whole point of the pod system was to put higher seeds as close to home as possible to get more fans to come to the early round games. The reason they implemented this system was because the early round games weren't drawing big crowds and so they decided to make it easier for the fans of top seeded teams to get to the games.

The issue isn't Wisconsin being near home now or Pitt being just down the street in 2002. The issue is that the higher seed is having to play what is essentially a road. There's a reason why a lot of people are criticizing the selection committee for giving Wisconsin a virtual home game and not criticizing them for putting Wake Forest and Duke in Raleigh (Duke is in Durham but Raleigh-Durham is a joint market), Kansas in Kansas City, Gonzaga in Seattle, and Cincinnati in Columbus.

The way this pod system is supposed to work, the highest seeded team in a pod is supposed to be the team that is closest to their home. This year, that is the case for every single pod except this one, where the second-highest seeded team is not only the one closest to its home but is the only one playing in their home state where they very obviously will have far more crowd support.

The issue has never been about traveling a long distance to play the game, it's about how the second-highest seeded team in a given pod is going to have an obvious home-court advantage. That's not how it's supposed to work. We could have been sent to Seattle for all I care. I for one hate the pod system. I think it gives teams an extra day's advantage to prepare for an opponent, which is very important in college when they have a limited amount of time that they are allowed to practice and in which the students are supposed to be going to classes. I also hate that it's supposed to give teams such obvious home-court advantages like Duke, Gonzaga, and Wisconsin are going to have this year, and like Pitt had in 2002. But if you're going to have a system like this in place, use it properly.

Leave a comment:

• The Pocket Rockets
    replied
    Originally posted by JackSparrow+Mar 15 2004, 12:22 AM-->
    QUOTE (JackSparrow @ Mar 15 2004, 12:22 AM)

• The Pocket Rockets
    replied
    Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 15 2004, 12:15 AM
    Okay, I don't know much of anything about college basketball.. But I'm watching ESPNnews and they're saying Utah State doesn't make the dance with a 25-3 record?

What's up with that?
    They were right in there with UTEP, Air Force, and Richmond for the final spot.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Sparrow
    replied
    Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 14 2004, 11:15 PM
    Okay, I don't know much of anything about college basketball.. But I'm watching ESPNnews and they're saying Utah State doesn't make the dance with a 25-3 record?

What's up with that?
    That team wasnt good.

They played no one.

They struggled to beat teams they should have killed.

They wont win 2 games in the NIT

Leave a comment:

• mellanby_equals_grit
    replied

What's up with that?

Leave a comment:

• The Pocket Rockets
    replied
    Richmond has one of the best defensive players in the country in Tony Dobbins, who will guard Wisconsin's Harris. Jay Bilas sayed Richmond was a bad match-up for Wisconsin, and knowing little about the Badgers I'll have to trust him.

Richmond beat S. Carolina as a 14 seed in 98, and they have also won games as a 13 and 12 seed in the 80s, in addition to them becoming the first 15 seed to ever win a game. I'm not one who thinks their history has anything to do with their chances this year though.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Sparrow
    replied
    Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 14 2004, 09:45 PM
    I wonder when was the last time all four of these teams missed to dance at the same time?

UCLA
    Missouri
    Oklahoma
    Indiana

Leave a comment:

• Working...
    X