A shout out to coach Floyd Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shout out to coach Floyd Irons

Ninth State championship in thirty years.

Undefeated season.

Floyd seems to have alot of critics in this area, but, he's alot of times in that area of the city, a young boys only beacon of hope.

Congrats to Floyd Irons!!!!
    Make America Great For Once.

Congrats to Floyd for recruiting himself another winner.
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 14 2004, 08:30 AM
      Ninth State championship in thirty years.

Undefeated season.

Floyd seems to have alot of critics in this area, but, he's alot of times in that area of the city, a young boys only beacon of hope.

Congrats to Floyd Irons!!!!
      From what I've heard, Irons does nothing to prepare those kids for life.
      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Urban Myth.

While there are a few that fall through the cracks, the vast majority of Floyd's boys do go on to making a decent life for themselves. I can account for two. There's a young man (early 30's) who is now a manager of a local Shop n' Save. He played for Irons in late 80's. He told me that he was on the verge of becoming a gang member, before Irons came to him, and talked about his lifestyle. Coach Irons talked him into giving basketball a chance. He never was a "star" player, but, he told me that it made him look at life differently. He went to a local JUCO, then he went to UMSL and attained his business degree.

I know of another one, who turned from a juvile deliquent, to a St. Louis County policeman, with the help of Iron's involvement.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

The guy just wins, hard to complain about a guy who does his job and does it well.

Congrats to Floyd.
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 14 2004, 10:52 AM
            Urban Myth.

While there are a few that fall through the cracks, the vast majority of Floyd's boys do go on to making a decent life for themselves. I can account for two. There's a young man (early 30's) who is now a manager of a local Shop n' Save. He played for Irons in late 80's. He told me that he was on the verge of becoming a gang member, before Irons came to him, and talked about his lifestyle. Coach Irons talked him into giving basketball a chance. He never was a "star" player, but, he told me that it made him look at life differently. He went to a local JUCO, then he went to UMSL and attained his business degree.

I know of another one, who turned from a juvile deliquent, to a St. Louis County policeman, with the help of Iron's involvement.
            I'm sure there are several cases like you are talking about, but I've also heard junior college coaches say his kids never cut it. I've heard that they are so pampered at Vashon they aren't used to having to go to class or work on the academic side of it. Most of his kids don't qualify to play D1 basketball.

What turned me off on Irons is, a coach told me he was sitting behing the Vashon bench and when a call didn't go the way Irons wanted it to, he looked at his bench and said, "those white MF'ers always get those calls". That's a great example to be setting.
            Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 14 2004, 10:57 AM-->
              QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 14 2004, 10:57 AM)

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 14 2004, 12:00 PM-->
              QUOTE (TTB @ Mar 14 2004, 12:00 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2004, 10:57 AM

Well done Floyd!

Just win baby!

Anytime a St Louis team wins anything it enhances the city and metropolitan area. This guy is a legend in OUR time..........maybe HIS mind too but I have a hard time critisizing any high school basketball coach when they are as successful as he is.

Congrats.

Comment

• Working...
                X