X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Cross visits Saddam

Saddam had given the Red Cross a written message

I heard the message was to Chirac.

(CNN) -- A three-member delegation from the International Committee of the Red Cross visited Saddam Hussein on Saturday, a delegate said.

The former Iraqi dictator has been in coalition custody since his December 13 capture near his hometown of Tikrit. The Red Cross customarily visits prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions and has been trying for two months to arrange a visit with Saddam.

The delegation included a physician, and the purpose of the visit was to check Saddam Hussein's health and condition, but they would not comment on either. The visit occurred Saturday afternoon, they said.

"We asked him about his condition of detention," said ICRC representative Nada Doumani -- whether he is getting food, water, good treatment or has a health problem.

She said Saddam had given the Red Cross a written message to his family, but wouldn't disclose contents.

Doumani said "we will repeat this visit."

Saddam is believed to have been held in Baghdad with other high-value detainees at the same facility -- near the international airport

Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

After we set up shop in Iraq: The Bush administration told us-- during the first several months of turmoil-- that once we captured Saddam, the violence would be all but over. Rumsfeld on up, told us that many good Iraqis were afraid to come forward with information against the insurgents and in support of the US, because of their fear that Saddam would somehow return to power.

So now that we've captured Saddam, what great difference has it made?
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Didn't see the memo, did you genius?
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Hmmmm.... holding prisoners near an international airport.... hmmmm.....

Something just don't seem logical in that...

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

> Didn't see the memo, did you genius?<

Our memo asking the UN to bail us out of the "election" time-table fiasco we created?

The memo stating that US military presence in Iraq would be required as far as the eye can see?

The WMD (Whoops!) memo.

Colin Powell's memo stating that if he knew then what he knows now...?

The memo stating that there are alot more Shiite's in Iraq than we thought?

Or, the January 2004 memo asking Rumsfeld to start preparing an exit strategy?
          Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

nick2- autoreply
            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Working...
            X