X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The P-D, on Simontacchi

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...ing+for+granted

The money quote, if you ask me:

Approaching camp's midpoint, the Cardinals have five arms - Simontacchi, Kiko Calero, Alan Benes, Jason Ryan and Josh Pearce - for two available righthanded relief spots. Tavarez, Lincoln and Eldred are rated virtual locks.
    Have to root for Calero, assuming he is healthy. And it's sounding like they're high on Benes. But at least Simo has that major-league contract to keep him happy in Memphis.

I feel a lot better about the bullpen than at this time last year.

Also, from "Quick Hits":

Reliever Steve Kline has relinquished duties as player representative to Jason Simontacchi with Kerry Robinson as assistant. A formal vote will take place later.
    If I were on the team I'd want somebody who's guaranteed to remain on the roster as player rep. What's Matt Morris up to?

I would have to go with Simo and Kiko! Kiko has some strong stuff and could go for multiple innings and SImo can come out of the Pen and start for TLR!!

Comment

Why is Lincoln a lock?
      Are you on the list?

Comment

hell...why is Eldred a lock? he's been shelled early and often.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

I think Eldred has earned a spot based on his season last year. Lincoln...dunno, has he looked good in camp?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 13 2004, 06:10 PM
            Why is Lincoln a lock?
            This is why:

The Cardinals' bullpen continued to shine. Chris Narveson, Ray King, Doug Creek and Mike Lincoln were unscored upon Saturday over the final five innings. After the Cardinals rallied with two runs in the ninth, King got credit for the victory and Lincoln worked the ninth to get the save.

Lincoln made it interesting, allowing a hit and a walk, but he retired Jose Reyes on a liner to right to end the game. Lincoln said it was good to be on the mound with the game on the line.

"I try to stay the same in every situation," said Lincoln, who is targeted for a setup role but managed to get five saves for the Pirates last season. "My location wasn't great. I threw a couple of balls down the middle of the plate, but I thought I threw the ball pretty well."

Lincoln has not been scored upon in four appearances this spring.
            http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...,+Suppan+excels

Comment

There's an appearance of depth this year and this topic reflects that. Simo Man (thank 'Moon Man') has pitched well but Kiko's my guy. I don't remember him being blown out EVER last year. The guy was a stud before he got hurt. Can't say the same Simontachi.

Comment

My man, Simo-Man, will lead the Cardinals to the promised land this season.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 14 2004, 01:14 AM
                  I don't remember him being blown out EVER last year.
                  I recall Calero blowing a save. He'd been made the temporary closer in the absence of Izzy, saved one game, and I think blew the save his next time out. Other than that, he was lights out. I have to agree that if it comes down to who to promote, 12K/9IP (last season) wins ties for Calero. But even if he doesn't come north, he'll be available in Memphis, or to use as a trading chip should the Cardinals want to make a move.

Comment

Simontacchi gets no respect from LaDuncan because he doesn't make enough money. The ones they give the money to are the ones they have to go the extra mile with. The last thing Simontacchi did before Haren came up and replaced him as a starter? recorded the Cardinals' only victory over the Giants. He damned near saved them against the Cubs in September.
                    v

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Mar 14 2004, 01:31 AM
                      Simontacchi gets no respect from LaDuncan because he doesn't make enough money.
                      Sigh...

Maybe he "doesn't get respect" because of these numbers:

Simo as a starter in 2003: 16 starts, 19 HR in 85.1 IP (!), a 1.55 WHIP (!!), and a 6.33 ERA (!!!). That, in a word, is sucky.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523+Mar 14 2004, 02:31 AM-->
                        QUOTE (kah2523 @ Mar 14 2004, 02:31 AM)

Eldred makes the team because the Cardinals gave him a guaranteed million bucks, even though he will be hard-pressed, IMO, to repeat last year, which was only so-so, not great.

Simontacchi isnt a very good pitcher. As a 6th inning guy when we are losing or winning by 2 or 3 runs or more, he is okay. As a starter, as Kah pointed out, he sucks. He did really well when he first pitched in the majors in 2002, but he is the type of guy that the league figures out and starts blasting him, because he doesnt strike out many, doesnt have particularly good control, and doesnt keep the ball in the park (flyball pitcher). Why they made him the player rep, when I dont even know if he deserves a spot on the team, is beyond me.

Calero had better be on the team if he is healthy. He might be the second-best pitcher in the bullpen. A rare good find by Walt and Tony last year.
                        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

After reading that column, it sounds an awful lot like the Simo-man thinks he is better than he really is.

Memories of Garrett Stephenson.
                          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 14 2004, 09:30 AM
                            After reading that column, it sounds an awful lot like the Simo-man thinks he is better than he really is.

Memories of Garrett Stephenson.
                            No, he's really better than he thinks he is.

Comment

• Working...
                              X