Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ark St. to open 2005 football home opener

From this mornings Post.

Note the last paragraph of the article. I got a real hoot out of that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mizzou wants to play at Arrowhead, dump Iowa games

BY BILL COATS
    Post-Dispatch
    02/19/2004

It's not a done deal yet, but expect Missouri to open the 2005 football season at Arrowhead Stadium, home of the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, against Arkansas State. The Tigers haven't played in KC since 1945.

"For some time, we've wanted to make a return to Kansas City," said MU associate athletics director Ed Stewart, who handles scheduling. "There are still a few hurdles that we have to clear to be able to pull that off. But we definitely have an interest in doing it."

The major obstacle, Stewart acknowledged, is altering a four-year series with Iowa, an agreement that was reached 10 years ago and is scheduled to begin on Sept. 2, 2005 -- the same day Mizzou wants to play Arkansas State at Arrowhead.

Stewart said MU hopes to change the Iowa contract to a two-year home-and-home deal, beginning in 2007. On Thursday, Iowa athletics director Bob Bowlsby told the Des Moines Register that he is working with Mizzou officials "to find a satisfactory replacement for the first two years of the agreement." Stewart confirmed MU's participation in the search for opponents to fill the Hawkeyes' '05 and '06 schedules.

Stewart wouldn't indicate who might replace Iowa on Missouri's '06 schedule, although he said a second game in Kansas City "has not been presented as an option right now."

Mizzou opened its past two seasons at the Edward Jones Dome, beating Illinois in both contests. The Tigers finished 8-5 in 2003, their first winning season since 1998. Arkansas State is situated in Jonesboro and competes in the Sun Belt Conference. The Indians were 5-7 last season.

In a statement, Arkansas State athletics director Dean Lee said he had discussed the Kansas City game with Missouri AD Mike Alden and expected it to take place. "We're still working through various issues and details regarding the event as we progress," Lee said, "but will plan a formal announcement some time this spring or early summer."

Mizzou and Arkansas State will open the 2004 season on Sept. 4 at Faurot Field in Columbia. Lee said Arkansas State would be the home team at Arrowhead.
    "We will have the home sidelines, the home dressing room and control the seating for the stadium," he said. "We will have Arkansas State in the end zones and an ASU logo at the 50-yard line. We will be paying Missouri a guarantee. This will truly have a home game feel for us."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only guarentee is a nice payoff of Arkansas State
    Make America Great For Once.

Why does Ed Stewart still have a job?
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Gee, that'll be a tough ticket to get, won't it?
      June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Yea i mean there are lost of Ark St fans in the greater KC area. Right?

Stupid idea, way to kill momentm

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Working...
        X