GDT: Blue Jackets @ Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Blue Jackets @ Blues

GAME: Columbus Blue Jackets (20-38-8-4) at St. Louis Blues (32-26-10-2).
    TIME: Saturday, 7 p.m. CST.

After missing out on a chance to improve their position in the Western Conference standings, the St. Louis Blues will try to rebound against the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Blues could have forged a three-way tie in the race for the final two playoff spots in the West, but instead tied Nashville 1-1 on Thursday.

St. Louis is one point behind eighth-place Nashville with 12 games to play.

"We've got to find ways to win," Blues forward Keith Tkachuk said. "We thought we deserved a little better here tonight."

Eric Weinrich scored for St. Louis, which has been in the playoffs 24 straight years, the longest current streak in major professional sports.

Blues left wing Brian Savage made his St. Louis debut against Nashville. Savage, who was acquired from Phoenix on Tuesday, had 12 goals and 13 assists in 61 games prior to the trade. To make room on the roster, St. Louis reassigned Peter Sejna to Worcester of the AHL.

Blues defenseman Murray Baron missed his second consecutive game because of the flu. His status for Saturday's game is uncertain.

Columbus is coming in off a 4-2 loss to Detroit on Thursday.

Blue Jackets rookie Nikolai Zherdev had a goal and an assist, and Trevor Letowski also scored for Columbus, which has lost four straight.

Columbus is 11-17-4-1 since Gerard Gallant was named interim coach on Jan. 1.

Center Brian Holzinger, who nearly scored on his second shift, played in his first game for Columbus since being acquired from Pittsburgh on Tuesday. Holzinger is the third Ohio native to play for the fourth-year Blue Jackets.

STANDINGS: Blue Jackets - 52 points, 4th place, 40 PB, Central Division. Blues - 76 points, 3rd place, 16 PB, Central Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Blue Jackets - Rick Nash, 37 goals and 51 points; David Vyborny, 30 assists; Jody Shelley, 191 PIM. Blues - Tkachuk, 28 goals and 63 points; Doug Weight, 44 assists; Mike Danton, 141 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through March 11): Blue Jackets - Power play: 14.8 percent (52 for 352), 23rd in NHL. Penalty killing: 83.6 percent (235 for 281), 20th. Blues - Power play: 17.5 percent (53 for 302), 9th. Penalty killing: 84.3 percent (284 for 337), 15th.

GOALTENDERS: Blue Jackets - Marc Denis (17-30-7, 4 SO, 2.57 GAA); Fred Brathwaite (3-10-1, 3.36). Blues - Chris Osgood (24-22-8, 2, 2.26); Reinhard Divis (4-3-1, 3.09).

SEASON SERIES: Blues, 4-1.

LAST MEETING: Jan. 21; Blue Jackets, 3-1. At Columbus, Manny Malhotra scored two third-period goals to lead the Blue Jackets.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Blue Jackets - 5-22-4-2 on the road; Blues - 19-9-7-0 at home.

SOURCE

Mr. G

Blues 3, Columbus 1

Comment

Sillinger Ties NHL Mark
      Blues forward Mike Sillinger tied an NHL record by playing for his 10th organization on Saturday night at New York. Sillinger began his career in Detroit and has made stops in Anaheim, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Florida, Ottawa, Columbus, Phoenix and St. Louis. He is the only active player to have played for 10 different organizations. J.J. Daigneault is the only other player in NHL history to play for 10 different NHL teams.

Upcoming NHL Milestones
      Eric Weinrich needs one assist for 300 for his career.
      Keith Tkachuk needs two assists for 400 for his career.
      Pavol Demitra needs two assists for 300 for his career.
      Doug Weight needs three assists for 600 for his career.

SOURCE

Mr. G

Comment

There are some good games on ABC today. I've got Kings-Sharks here, plus I'm watching Flyers-Devils on Center Ice.

Comment

Flyers 2 - Devils 1, FINAL

And that should pretty much wrap up the Atlantic division title for the Flyers.
          Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Mar 13 2004, 04:43 PM

Yep, it sure should....

Very good game for the Fly-guys...

In SJ, I wonder the seriousness of the Toskala injury...could be a factor in this stretch...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 13 2004, 04:51 PM-->
              QUOTE (007 @ Mar 13 2004, 04:51 PM)

Originally posted by CSD+Mar 13 2004, 04:59 PM-->
              QUOTE (CSD @ Mar 13 2004, 04:59 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 04:51 PM

Okay, thanks.
              Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Mar 13 2004, 04:43 PM

:angry:

B)
                Feb. 08, 2005
                Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                Originally posted by Airshark
                NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsane2Bme+Mar 13 2004, 05:50 PM-->
                  QUOTE (Nsane2Bme @ Mar 13 2004, 05:50 PM)

Originally posted by CSD+Mar 13 2004, 05:51 PM-->
                  QUOTE (CSD @ Mar 13 2004, 05:51 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Nsane2Bme+Mar 13 2004, 05:57 PM-->
                  QUOTE (Nsane2Bme @ Mar 13 2004, 05:57 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 05:51 PM
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 05:50 PM

Yeah, I heard that...doesn't sound good at all. The Devils haven't been the same w/out him; then again, it's not easy to replace him...impossible. The entire thing from the beginning hasn't sounded good at all. It makes me think that there is more going on, than just the "concussion" we hear about, then again, I have never had a concussion, and I have no idea what it's like.

I’d rather him take off as much time as he needs…to allow him to come back…IF he can come back.
                  Feb. 08, 2005
                  Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                  Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                  Originally posted by Airshark
                  NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

FWIW, I was told @ the All-Star Game that his career, barring a minor miracle, was pretty much over...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

• Working...
                      X