DVD +- R Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD +- R Question

I know we had a lengthy thread about this the other day and I apologize for bringing up (pretty much) the same topic again, but I couldn't find the thread.

I have two questions.

1. If I want to backup my DVD movies, someone said that I can do that with free software rather than purchasing DVD X COPY. That'd be great. THis is what I want to be able to do:
    -- I'd like to be able to copy the entire movie, the entire disc, onto one disc. I want to be able to copy the menus, special features, and languages (5.1) all onto my backup. First, this is possible, right?
    -- What programs should I use? Where do I get them?

2. What type of media should I get? I know that when CDRW became cheaper several years ago, there were at first some dogs when it came to media. Any special brands I should look for? Great prices, etc.

-- Furthermore, should I buy DVDR- or DVDR+ media? My DVDRW supports both +\-. They seeem to be the same price. However, I want to be able to play my backups on my home DVD player. So, again, any advice?

Thanks guys!
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

DVD Decrypter

Decrypts the movie and stores it on your hard drive.

DVD Shrink

Shrinks the movie to fit it onto one disc.

Then you can use a burning program like Roxio, Nero, MyDVD, etc. to burn it to a disc.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Default.asp

Should help you with any compatibility questions/issues.

And thanks to that site, I found out that my DVD player is about the only Pioneer player that doesn't support burned DVD's.

:angry:

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Mar 13 2004, 12:14 PM
      And thanks to that site, I found out that my DVD player is about the only Pioneer player that doesn't support burned DVD's.
      Sounds like you got burned
      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

For me, DVD Decrypter and Shrink would not work on my Sony DVD player. The burned DVDs would only play on my PC.
        "My name is Pussy Galore."
        "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

Hmm. Then maybe it IS worth the money to spend on XCOPY.

I don't really want to go through the huge process of ripping, shrinking, then burning with three different programs.

Any other opinions?
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
          X