Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pace reject Rams' offer; Rams tag Pace again

INDIANAPOLIS - Here we go again.

For the second year in a row, the Rams have placed the "franchise player" designation on offensive tackle Orlando Pace.

Pace's agent, Carl Poston, was informed by the club Thursday that the Rams are placing the franchise tag on the five-time Pro Bowler.

"I thought they'd at least wait until Tuesday," Poston said Friday, while attending agent meetings here in conjunction with the NFL Scouting Combine.

Tuesday is the deadline for franchise player designations.

On Jan. 26, the Rams offered Pace a seven-year contract worth more than $42 million. The proposal included the largest signing bonus in Rams history - $13 million. (The current high is $12.5 million, for wide receiver Torry Holt last July.)

"It's far below Orlando's fair market value," Poston said. "They didn't expect me to accept that. That's an offer made just to say, 'We made an offer.'"

The rest from the P-D
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Trade his ass.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

"I thought they'd at least wait until Tuesday," Poston said Friday, while attending agent meetings here in conjunction with the NFL Scouting Combine.
      Why, you stupid dick. They know you arn't signing anything early. Cocksucker.

Sorry for the vulgarity. Poston is a azzclown.
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

He's a waste. We should have traded him last year.

Comment

But given what Albert just signed for, isn't it weird how the offer doesn't sound all that great any more?
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Doesn't matter. Two different sports, two different organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Feb 21 2004, 10:49 AM
              Doesn't matter. Two different sports, two different organizations.
              Besides, I thought now that Ray Ray is back to throw OP some sex parties, Pace would give the Rams the ol' hometown discount.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

And salary cap impact in the NFL.

Also football requires more players and these players cost money. Teams need to be prudent about spending money on players on both sides of the ball.

I personally think the Postons and Pace don't care and don't intend to sign these long term contracts. I think they like the franchise tag.

here's why:

they get 7 million guaranteed this year. Next year it'll go up. In 3 or 4 years of being franchised -t hey will get more money than they would under a normal long term contract.

Plus Pace gets to skip training camp and it didn't seem to affect him.

Just my take.

han solo

Comment

Hansolo:

It's also a gamble because football is the one sport where you have a pretty high chance of sustaining a long-term injury. Still, I more or less agree with you because there are no guaranteed contracts. If he plays two years at the franchise tag, he basicly gets his signing bonus, which is all he is guaranteed anyway.

Anyway, I don't see why any team would trade for Pace unless the Rams accept less than the franchise value of two first-rounders. Other than maybe a top defensive tackle, I don't think any player is worth two first-round picks AND, say, a $15 million signing bonus. Doing something like that can set your team back for years.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Feb 21 2004, 10:53 AM

Just my take.

han solo
                    Didn't you see the 1st game of the year?
                    "You're my wife Margene, you can't be seeing the girl I'm dating." - Big Love

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot_it_Al+Feb 21 2004, 11:40 AM-->
                      QUOTE(Shoot_it_Al @ Feb 21 2004, 11:40 AM)

Originally posted by hansolo@Feb 21 2004, 10:53 AM
                      And salary cap impact in the NFL.

Also football requires more players and these players cost money. Teams need to be prudent about spending money on players on both sides of the ball.

I personally think the Postons and Pace don't care and don't intend to sign these long term contracts. I think they like the franchise tag.

here's why:

they get 7 million guaranteed this year. Next year it'll go up. In 3 or 4 years of being franchised -t hey will get more money than they would under a normal long term contract.

Just my take.

han solo
                      Except that you're overlooking the fact that the offensive line has to be the most cohesive unit of the football team, especially this one..

It breaks up the early season timing and lack of real game time speed with him being the backside protector could very well be a factor..

They should replace "Pace" on the back of his jersey with "Market Value" next season.

Comment

I'd look to trade him.
                        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

So, did Pace get more or less or a signing bonus compared to this 2004 offer?

Comment

Working...
                          X