Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should The Courts Look More Closely At Sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should The Courts Look More Closely At Sports?

Near the end of a lengthy press conference and conference call to discuss the penalty meted out to Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi for his sucker-punching of Colorado's Steve Moore, the NHL's top lawyer, Bill Daly, suggested that what fans saw Monday -- and, of course, saw over and over -- was not hockey and that Bertuzzi's suspension for the balance of the season, playoffs included, is proof of that.

"It's incumbent on us to send a message, and a strong message, that what happened on Monday night wasn't hockey," Daly said.

The message may indeed have been strong.

Bertuzzi's suspension may well cost the Vancouver Canucks a Stanley Cup and almost certainly millions of dollars in playoff revenue. But in spite of Daly's convictions, Bertuzzi's striking down of an unsuspecting opponent is, indeed, hockey.

It has been so since the game began, and it will continue to be so until the very fundamentals of the game are changed.

Even Daly's colleague, Colin Campbell, the NHL's executive vice president and director of hockey operations, the man who handed down what could be the stiffest suspension ever, acknowledged it, saying these types of incidents are bound to happen again.

"I hate to say this," Campbell said. "But wrong decisions will be made in the future."

MORE

Mr. G

Players should be held just as accountable to the laws as you or I, If I did that to you in a bar or at work or any damn place I would be in jail.
    He should be too.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I think if events in a game are going to be scrutinized by the law, then hockey, boxing, and football will have to cease to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 13 2004, 01:12 AM
        I think if events in a game are going to be scrutinized by the law, then hockey, boxing, and football will have to cease to exist.
        even baseball and basketball to an extent.

How do you reconcile throwing a bseball at someone. or cleats up.

How bout those elbows in basketball?

Soccer...I can't slide tackle someone in a bar.
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Is it allowable, legally speaking in a court of law, to swing a hockey stick at a player? Or does it depend on where you swing the stick at someone? Is swinging at someone's head the same thing as swinging at someone's legs? Their mid-section? Or is it different?

Comment

Boxing is regulated and you KNOW someone is going to be punching you and you choose to do it.

What happened in this instance is that a man attacked another man, from behind and broke his neck.
            Fighting is AGAINST the rules of hockey, they can't claim that they shouldn't get involved with the law because it's part of the game. What happened in this case is NOT part of the game.

I'm not saying if two guys get into a small fist fight they should be jailed, just as if you and I get into a shoving match and the cops are called as long as no one gets hurt and both sides don't want to press charges it is usually left alone.
            This is totally different.

It's called judgment, and in any cops judgment this should be a violent attack against a defenseless man.

Comment

I think there have been numerous attacks on players in NHL games that were similar or worse in nature than what Bertuzzi did. Fortunately for those guilty parties, the players they attacked weren't injured as badly as Moore was and thus their behavior was considered "message sending" or "settling the score" rather than being the worst thing sports has ever seen.

If you play hockey, you KNOW someone is going to be throwing punches at you and swinging sticks at you--that's simply how it is in the NHL and how it always has been. I personally feel that when you play in the NHL, the violence that takes place shouldn't be subject to criminal charges. Rather, when you play in the NHL, you are assuming the risk that something like this may happen to you.

Comment

Eh. I can't decide about this. There's a certain amount of violence inherent in all sports. Boxing is just guys beating each other senseless, football players crush each other, basketball players throw elbows, pitchers throw at batters...seems like if we start prosecuting people for assault we could be going down a bad road, as far as athletic competition goes.

OTOH, I wonder what would have happened if Bertuzzi had killed Moore, or what should happen if any athlete is killed or maimed by another who acts with deliberate malice.

Can't decide.

Comment

Keep it out of the courts, please.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 13 2004, 02:24 AM
                    I think there have been numerous attacks on players in NHL games that were similar or worse in nature than what Bertuzzi did. Fortunately for those guilty parties, the players they attacked weren't injured as badly as Moore was and thus their behavior was considered "message sending" or "settling the score" rather than being the worst thing sports has ever seen.

If you play hockey, you KNOW someone is going to be throwing punches at you and swinging sticks at you--that's simply how it is in the NHL and how it always has been. I personally feel that when you play in the NHL, the violence that takes place shouldn't be subject to criminal charges. Rather, when you play in the NHL, you are assuming the risk that something like this may happen to you.
                    So if you make the choice to play hockey you have given up your right to feel safe at your job because we are going to say it's OK for players to break the rules of the game and literally ATTACK you and break your neck?

Sorry I can't agree with that.
                    Whats next a guy swings a stick at your throat and kills you, but hey we can't involve the police?

This guy could have been KILLED.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks+Mar 13 2004, 01:28 AM-->
                      QUOTE (madyaks @ Mar 13 2004, 01:28 AM)

Deterrence.

Losing even a millions dollars to these guys, (some of them) is nothing.

If you want to END what happened, let them know they are subject to the same laws as you or I.

If the police would let me go if I did that to you... fine.
                      But If I would be jailed, then he should be too.

I just want fair, because you play a sport doesn't mean the laws don't apply on the court, field or ice.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks+Mar 12 2004, 11:28 PM-->
                        QUOTE (madyaks @ Mar 12 2004, 11:28 PM)

Originally posted by madyaks@Mar 12 2004, 11:42 PM
                        I just want fair, because you play a sport doesn't mean the laws don't apply on the court, field or ice.
                        The only way you are going to achieve the sort of "fair" you are looking for in these sorts of sports is to illegalize them.

Comment

This is from that link I posted above and it echoes a lot of the feelings I have on this matter (I wrote about it on my website, if you're at all interested):

Instead of coming out and saying Bertuzzi’s emotional actions crossed the acceptable lines of retribution and pinning a precise sentence on how far, the NHL predictably came out condemning the actions as not part of the game.

“And I think ultimately we'll be judged on our response and the message that it sends,” said Commissioner Gary Bettman, perhaps forgetting he has to hear any appeal from the Canucks - and for the same reason he didn’t attend Bertuzzi’s hearing - should stay neutral. “Because the message that's being sent is: This is not a part of our game; it has no place in our game; and it will not be tolerated in our game.”

Judged by whom, Gary? The millions of Americans screaming in online polls for Bertuzzi to be banned for life? The non-hockey columnists and TV reporters who took time out of waiting for another NASCAR crash to bitch- slap a sport they never watch? The people who will never watch hockey anyway?

The people who play the game know retribution, is a part of it. Always has been, probably always will be. Toronto coach Pat Quinn said it has been that way for 100 years.

Keane's son Jackson was watching the game when Bertuzzi slugged Moore. So how did the 16- year veteran explain what his six-year-old was seeing?

“You don’t want to shield him from this because it’s part of the game,” Keane said. “It is the ugly side of the game, but it is still part of the game.”

Explaining that to the world through a media that doesn’t understand it and doesn’t want to understand it is tough at the best of times. At this, the worst of times, it’s almost impossible.

“It would be basically impossible for them to grab the concept of what happened,” Keane added. “You have to be able to play the game and you have to be involved in the situation. A lot of people can’t fathom that. They just see the incident, the result and that’s it.”

Comment

• Working...
                            X