Church Nixes Good Friday Fenway Hot Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Nixes Good Friday Fenway Hot Dogs

BOSTON - Opening Day ticket holders at Boston's Fenway Park this year who are Catholic face a dilemma: the Boston Archdiocese said since the afternoon game against the Toronto Blue Jays (news) falls on Good Friday, they must refrain from eating meat, including hot dogs, sausages and pepperoni pizza.

"We're already getting all kinds of requests for dispensation to eat meat," said the Rev. Christopher J. Coyne, a spokesman for the archdiocese. However Coyne said that after a meeting to discuss the requests, Boston church leaders decided a baseball game was too weak an excuse to duck the no-meat rule.

"I would hope it was just an oversight when they were doing the schedule," Coyne told the Boston Herald. "I think it's very insensitive to the huge number of people who are Christians and fans."

In 1995 and 2000, Cardinal Bernard F. Law, then the head of the archdiocese, allowed local Catholics to eat meat when St. Patrick's Day fell on a Friday during Lent.

These Catholics are the same people that throw shit and yell "God Damn Grady" when the Sox blow games.
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

The solution is pretty simple.

Hot dog is not meat. Therefore, it is allowable to eat a hotdog on opening day at Fenway.

Comment

It's insensitive to Catholics?

JESUS CHRIST. :rolleyes:
        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Further proof of just how seriously people take their religious beliefs.
          It's all good to say your something, but in most cases I never see it followed up on.
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 12 2004, 01:34 PM
            It's insensitive to Catholics?

JESUS CHRIST. :rolleyes:

Comment

hot dogs are meat?
              First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

George Carlin said it best, most recently, last night on The Daily Show- religion is EVIL!!! It is the most evil thing to ever occur on this planet full of poor schmucks.

Comment

Originally posted by glen a richter@Mar 12 2004, 02:09 PM
                  hot dogs are meat?
                  Glen, welcome to the thread.

Your question is dumb as I already used that line prior to your appearance.

Once again, your intellect gets in the way of your ability to post.

Comment

Boo-fucking-hoo. I'm technically Catholic and I'm going to eat as many different varieties of animals as I can in one sitting this evening. Take that, Boston!

Maybe everyone else in Boston could adopt a Catholic and just eat their hawt dag instead... and then the Catholics could just live vicariously though everyone else....

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Hot dogs are meat?

<_<
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 12 2004, 03:03 PM
                        Hot dogs are meat?

<_<
                        I didn't think fingernails and vaginal discharge counted as meat.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Mar 12 2004, 03:02 PM
                          Boo-fucking-hoo. I'm technically Catholic and I'm going to eat as many different varieties of animals as I can in one sitting this evening. Take that, Boston!

Maybe everyone else in Boston could adopt a Catholic and just eat their hawt dag instead... and then the Catholics could just live vicariously though everyone else....
                          Bye Steve,

I hope 007 isn't standing next to you when God sends down a lightning bolt and strikes you down for eating Bison tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Mar 12 2004, 03:04 PM
                            I hope 007 isn't standing next to you when God sends down a lightning bolt and strikes you down for eating Bison tonight.
                            Steve, Sparrow, Dvyyyyy and myself have the first two benches on the bus reserved.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote+Mar 12 2004, 03:06 PM-->
                              QUOTE (pgrote @ Mar 12 2004, 03:06 PM)
                              Working...
                              X