Cards close to signing Edgar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards close to signing Edgar

Good news if this is relatively accurate.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...ading-off_x.htm

THE BUZZ

Several high-ranking sources predict that even if the drug test results were revealed for the 12 players who testified in the BALCO case, many of the results would be negative because they weren't tested for THG. ... The Indians are letting teams know that they are willing to eat part of the salary if they can trade outfielder Matt Lawton (two years, $14.5 million) and infielder Ricky Gutierrez (one year, $4.75 million). ... The Angels are shopping starter Aaron Sele, and are willing to pay a substantial part of his $8.5 million contract. ... A's third baseman Eric Chavez is moving closer to signing a five-year contract that will pay him about $60 million. ... A's owner Steve Schott, who badly wants to move his team from Oakland to San Jose, is considering suing MLB to challenge the Giants' territorial rights to the San Jose area. ... Yankees manager Joe Torre is negotiating a two-year contract extension that will pay him close to $12 million. ... Strange but true: The Brewers actually gave outfielder Scott Podsednik ($400,000) more money at contract time this spring than the Marlins paid Rookie of the Year winner Dontrelle Willis ($353,000). ... Devil Rays outfielder Josh Hamilton underwent drug counseling for crack addiction, front office sources said. ... The Dodgers have told the White Sox they have zero interest in taking Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko off their hands. ... The Cardinals are close to signing shortstop Edgar Renteria to a long-term contract extension.

-- Bob Nightengale

Yes. More money on non-pitchers. WOOO HOOO!

Comment

In a column last week, Peter Gammons mentioned something about the Cardinals liking their chances of signing Renteria or something.

What was that site that reported the Cardinals were about to sign Pujols before anyone else did? Cardinals Mafia or something? Maybe they know the story with Edgar.

Also, I caught in that post that the Athletics are about to sign Eric Chavez long-term. It's about time they scraped up enough cash to re-sign someone.

Comment

This is the most disturbing:

Devil Rays outfielder Josh Hamilton underwent drug counseling for crack addiction
        Dude had some talent. What a shame.

Comment

Josh Hamilton is a crackhead?

I knew the D-Rays were bad, but fuck...
          I let my hair air dry thereby getting more hair pie
          I want to fire blanks in Tyra Banks
          I like shorn quim lasses in horn-rimmed glasses
          but Cindy Crawford ...offered
          I would keep a tidy room for Heidi Klum
          I'm immersed in Kirstie Alley's thirsty valley

I want a smelly slice of Kelly Price
          Plus get with the hairy scar of Teri Garr
          I would jizz early inside Liz Hurley
          Sigourney Weaver has a thrashing horny beaver
          Winona Ryder? Going inside her!
          I want to get on the whole width of Anna Nicole Smith

Comment

As strange as this sounds, I think that the Cardinals should have signed Renteria before they bucked up for Pujols.

I would say that Renteria is one of the top three shortstops in the league.

But, like Grote pointed out-and I bitched about when Pujols signed-once again, we have alotted no funds for pitching and I would be shocked if Morris was back next year.
            Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Tampa Bay must be crack city. Strawberry, Gooden ... Ok, that's all the examples I have. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Mar 11 2004, 06:55 PM
                Tampa Bay must be crack city. Strawberry, Gooden ... Ok, that's all the examples I have. :-)
                I heard Tino deals crack to little little kids.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Mar 11 2004, 06:55 PM
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Mar 11 2004, 06:47 PM
                    Yes. More money on non-pitchers. WOOO HOOO!
                    They are TOTALLY banking on kids like Wainright, Narveson, Haren, Hawksworth, Parrot coming thru.

A somewhat risky strategy considering Duncan and TLR's track record with young pitchers.

But, Renteria is awesome. I hope he is staying.
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 11 2004, 06:59 PM-->
                      QUOTE (TTB @ Mar 11 2004, 06:59 PM)

Originally posted by TTB@Mar 11 2004, 06:59 PM

But, Renteria is awesome. I hope he is staying.
                      Word.
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Guys, it seems pretty simple what's going on.

This team is clearly going with a youth movement for pitching.

That's the only thing this could mean.

Its a rock and hard place, really.

Imagine if they let him go? What would the backlash be? What if they coudn't get Pujols? Again, a huge PR nightmare.

They had to sign these guys.

I just hope that they'll lose Morris and Williams next year and they can spend that money on a stud pitching. I don't care if its Millwood or Wagner in the pen, but PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING.

We need one stud to go w/ the youngsters.

Even then it will be a stretch.
                        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
                          X