Student article sparks ethics debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student article sparks ethics debate

It began when the weekly paper at the Brooklyn campus of Long Island University, which administers the annual George Polk Awards in Journalism, reported in January that the student body president was resigning. It blamed the student's "academic struggles" and listed what it said were his failing grades. The school decreed that the student's rights had been violated and responded swiftly. It suspended the editor for three weeks, changed the lock of the newspaper's office and removed a faculty adviser.

That in turn prompted a terse response from the Society of Professional Journalists, which plans to sent a task force to the campus to investigate.

"We do change locks like that in Third World countries, but this is the United States of America," said Jim Highland, the Society's national vice president of campus chapter affairs and a professor of journalism at Western Kentucky University.

Does that mean they tried to get in but could not? I guess changing the locks was necessary
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

This should be fun to watch, which is more sacred, privacy or free press. Should be fun

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

As I understand it, his records are open to scrutinity, because he held a position, which was paid for with student fees. Obviously, the university has a different take on it.

Regardless, changing the locks smacks of overkill.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 11 2004, 02:18 PM
        As I understand it, his records are open to scrutinity, because he held a position, which was paid for with student fees. Obviously, the university has a different take on it.

Regardless, changing the locks smacks of overkill.
        Oooog, I don't know. Publishing someone's grades is tough.

You are right about the changing the locks.
        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

dvy6,

I got this from the article.

Campus administrators said Grant had the right to publish Alilea's grades, but they objected to how it was done. The article did not cite a source for the grades or give Alilea a chance to respond.

Their problem is more his lack of attribution. He didn't much right when he wrote the story, but he didn't do anything wrong in reporting the grades.

I don't want a guy who doesn't have enough acumen or committment to pass his classes getting paid with my fees.
          His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
          Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Working...
          X