X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buccaneers will release John Lynch

Buccaneers | Lynch To Be Released - from www.KFFL.com
    Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:10:34 -0800

ESPNews reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will release FS John Lynch.

wow! what's he pulling in these days, anyway?
    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Guys,

Novel approach.

Depending on his asking price, sign Lynch to play FS since he's beeter in coverage than AA, and shift Williams back to CB, making Fisher the #2.

Will certainly help with depth at teh position. Nothing indicates the me that Williams can't still make plays, and moving him to FS last year really hurt the defense -- if you believe, like I do, that FS is the one area of the defense you can fill with a margibal player if needs be.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

BTW,

Thanks for posting that, dev.

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 11 2004, 01:33 PM
          Guys,

Novel approach.

Depending on his asking price, sign Lynch to play FS since he's beeter in coverage than AA, and shift Williams back to CB, making Fisher the #2.

Will certainly help with depth at teh position. Nothing indicates the me that Williams can't still make plays, and moving him to FS last year really hurt the defense -- if you believe, like I do, that FS is the one area of the defense you can fill with a margibal player if needs be.
          so why John lynch then?
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 11 2004, 01:34 PM
            BTW,

Thanks for posting that, dev.
            Can Lynch cover well enough to be a free safety? I'm not sure. I am sure that it would be fun to watch he and Archuletta knock people's heads off all over the field.

Comment

Playing John Lynch at free safety would be a complete waste of his skills.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 11 2004, 01:37 PM
                Playing John Lynch at free safety would be a complete waste of his skills.
                I was sort of thinking that. He doesn't seem like a free safety to me.

Comment

Hey Dev, what do you think are the chances that the Rams would sign him? He'd be a great pickup wouldnt he? We havent done shit this off season.
                  Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
                  ---------------------------
                  North County born and raised.
                  ----------------------------
                  Go Navy!
                  ----------------------------
                  http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
                  (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

Comment

Colts could use him, if they could find room.
                    Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

LEEEEEERRRYY!!!!!
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

He'd be redundant for the Rams. They have Archuleta. No place to play both of them.

Comment

so why John lynch then?
                          Good question. Thanks for asking.

While you can get away with having a marginal player at FS, ideally you'd like a true starter at every position.

Last year the Rams had a true starter at FS -- and marginal players at CB. It was a disaster against the pass, and even more so against the run.

Williams is a complete CB who can tackle as well as anyone in the league at that position.

Also, because it's one move that can take the place of two, since the Rams were going to need to sign two CBs anyway, now you can save some of the money you'd get from upgrading that position (since the upgrade you made there is already under contract) and shore up the D-line and at depth at LB.

Can Lynch cover well enough to be a free safety? I'm not sure. I am sure that it would be fun to watch he and Archuletta knock people's heads off all over the field.
                          From what I've seen, Lynch's pass coverage has dropped off somewhat, but he is still better than AA in that capacity. Also, Marmie won't rely on his safeties to cover the deep pass like Lovie, since, from what I've seen, he mixes in more man with safety help over the top -- meanig a lot more double coverage in long situations.

And I agree about them knocking heads. Not only would it be fun, it would have a sobering effect on WRs going over the middle.

Comment

I'm thinking a secondary of Bashir, Lynch, Strickland, Harper to be decent, and this is before a corner is brought in, if he could be after Lynch.

Do the Ravens have cap room and interest? Seems to fit there. Ed Reed is a FS, right?
                            Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by big_dawg160@Mar 11 2004, 11:39 AM
                              Hey Dev, what do you think are the chances that the Rams would sign him? He'd be a great pickup wouldnt he? We havent done shit this off season.
                              He'd be a waste of cap money, unless they're getting rid of Archuleta for some reason or he comes incredibly cheap.

John Lynch is a good coverage guy but he is a Pro Bowl player because of how good he is against the run. Asking him to be a free safety would be like asking Mark McGwire to be a singles hitter.

I imagine someone among the Bears, Jets, and Colts will go hard after him.

Comment

Working...
                              X