• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginsburg

Another high court justice faces questions on ethics

Los Angeles Times
    Thursday, March 11, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has lent her name and presence to a lecture series co-sponsored by the liberal NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, an advocacy group that often argues before the court in support of women's rights that the justice embraces.

In January, Ginsburg gave opening remarks for the fourth installment in the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Distinguished Lecture Series on Women and the Law.

Two weeks earlier, she had voted in a medical screening case and taken the side promoted by the legal defense fund in its friend-of-the-court brief.

The liberal Ginsburg's involvement with the legal activist group, and recent outside activities by a conservative colleague, Justice Antonin Scalia, have touched off a debate over what kinds of extra-judicial appearances and contacts are appropriate for Supreme Court justices.

The code of conduct for the federal courts does not set clear rules for judges' involvement with advocacy groups. But it warns jurists to steer clear of outside legal activities that would "cast reasonable doubt on the capacity to decide impartially any issue that may come before" them.

Federal law says a judge or justice "shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned."

Several legal experts said Ginsburg's ongoing affiliation with the legal activist group undercuts her appearance of impartiality. Ginsburg declined to comment.

Though Ginsburg was well-known as a lawyer for her support of women's rights, Hofstra University law Professor Monroe Freedman said she should have severed her public ties with advocates for women's issues when she was elevated to the Supreme Court by President Clinton in 1993.

"I think this crosses the line," he said.

Kathy Rodgers, president of the NOW legal defense fund, said Ginsburg's connection with the group should not raise questions about her impartiality as a Supreme Court justice.

"She is always very careful in her remarks," Rodgers said. "I've never heard her address cases that are in front of the court. So I don't see any evidence of her violating her impartiality."
    All the ones giving Scalia a hard time for his hunting trips for Cheney, will you criticize Ginsburg on this??

Probably not.

She is the anti-Scalia in every sense of the phrase.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I was hoping this would be about Alen Ginsberg.

Comment

What's so funny about all of this is that the Scalia and Ginsburg families are very close friends.
        "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by dooz@Mar 11 2004, 09:40 AM
          Another high court justice faces questions on ethics

Los Angeles Times
          Thursday, March 11, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has lent her name and presence to a lecture series co-sponsored by the liberal NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, an advocacy group that often argues before the court in support of women's rights that the justice embraces.

In January, Ginsburg gave opening remarks for the fourth installment in the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Distinguished Lecture Series on Women and the Law.

Two weeks earlier, she had voted in a medical screening case and taken the side promoted by the legal defense fund in its friend-of-the-court brief.

The liberal Ginsburg's involvement with the legal activist group, and recent outside activities by a conservative colleague, Justice Antonin Scalia, have touched off a debate over what kinds of extra-judicial appearances and contacts are appropriate for Supreme Court justices.

The code of conduct for the federal courts does not set clear rules for judges' involvement with advocacy groups. But it warns jurists to steer clear of outside legal activities that would "cast reasonable doubt on the capacity to decide impartially any issue that may come before" them.

Federal law says a judge or justice "shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned."

Several legal experts said Ginsburg's ongoing affiliation with the legal activist group undercuts her appearance of impartiality. Ginsburg declined to comment.

Though Ginsburg was well-known as a lawyer for her support of women's rights, Hofstra University law Professor Monroe Freedman said she should have severed her public ties with advocates for women's issues when she was elevated to the Supreme Court by President Clinton in 1993.

"I think this crosses the line," he said.

Kathy Rodgers, president of the NOW legal defense fund, said Ginsburg's connection with the group should not raise questions about her impartiality as a Supreme Court justice.

"She is always very careful in her remarks," Rodgers said. "I've never heard her address cases that are in front of the court. So I don't see any evidence of her violating her impartiality."
          All the ones giving Scalia a hard time for his hunting trips for Cheney, will you criticize Ginsburg on this??
          Scalia was a judge who gave Cheeney his current job, Ginsburg has done what exactly? Supported liberal groups?

"I've never heard her address cases that are in front of the court. So I don't see any evidence of her violating her impartiality."
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

This is the perfect chance for Pacey to jump in.

Did they both attend Yale? *Hint, Hint.*
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 11 2004, 10:02 AM
              This is the perfect chance for Pacey to jump in.

Did they both attend Yale? *Hint, Hint.*
              Skull and Bones???
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Yes, she should avoid even the appearance of impropriety or bias by declining invitations from partisan groups to speak, sponsor, or otherwise lend her name to their activities.

Justices should stick to dedication ceremonies for new law schools.

If they want to be advocates, they should retire and go into private practice.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks+Mar 11 2004, 09:06 AM-->
                  QUOTE (madyaks @ Mar 11 2004, 09:06 AM)

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
                  dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
                  angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night ...
                  yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes and eyeball kicks and shocks of hospitals and jails and wars,
                  whole intellects disgorged in total recall for seven days and nights with brilliant eyes, meat for the Synagogue cast on the pavement,
                  who vanished into Nowhere Zen New Jersey leaving a trail of ambigious picture postcards of Atlantic City Hall ...
                  who distributed Supercommunist pamphlets in Union Square weeping and undressing while the sirens of Los Alomos wailed them down, and wailed down Wall, and the Staten Island Ferry also wailed,
                  who broke down crying in white gymnasiums naked and trembling before the machinery of other skeletons,
                  who bit detectives in the neck and shrieked with delight in policecars for committing no crime but their own wild cooking pederasty and intoxication ...
                  2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Damn, Trig, you beat me to it!

the Dog

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

• Working...
                      X