Internet Connection Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Connection Problem

I will start off by saying I use Charter. (Charter sucks Wang)

I will be browsing this site and I will click on a link from some of you guys and it either takes forever to load or it doesnt load at all. Then, after that happens, NOTHING works. I cant get any site to load.

BUT I still am allowed to refresh and post and pm people on this site. If I close this window, I cant get back to the site, but as long as I stay in it I can post and read.

Also, when it goes out like that, I cant see any pictures or avatars or anything, and it really fucks it up.

I dont understand wtf is going on when it does that. Any advice? I use IE.

To get the internet back, I have to either reset the modem or unplug the power source to modem and let it sit for two minutes. Then it works fine.

My pc is hooked up to a router with two other pc's (older pc's in a different room)
    I never use those pc's for online use, but they are hooked up anyway. Should I unplug them from router- would that help? Or is that not effecting it at all?

Thanks guys!
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

I also use Charter and something kind of similar to what you're describing happened to me a week or so ago. I could surf and a minute or two and then I couldn't surf at all. After I would reset my modem, I could surf for a minute or two and then I couldn't surf at all. When I finally got tired of resetting my modem after three or four times, I called Charter. The person I spoke with did a little investigating and determined someone had manually inputted (is that a word?) my IP address so, in essence, she was over riding me and knocking me off the Internet. According to the guy I spoke with, what she did is against Charter's user agreement and very much frowned upon so he "killed" her modem and then he had me unplug mine, wait a bit, plug it back in, then everything was fine. Don't know if this is what is happening to you but it might be worth a call to Charter to find out.

Hope this helps.

Mr. G

Comment

Thanks Mr. G

What do I ask Charter to do, just investigate why its doing that?

I dont want those fuckers to have to come over and look at my modem. They have done that in the past and then find nothing wrong with it. It gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 11 2004, 12:52 AM
        Thanks Mr. G

What do I ask Charter to do, just investigate why its doing that?

I dont want those fuckers to have to come over and look at my modem. They have done that in the past and then find nothing wrong with it. It gets old.
        They will be able to do it over the phone while you're talking to them. Just describe your problem and they should be able to tell you what's going on. Not saying it's the same problem I had but, when I read your description, it reminded me of what I went through......especially the resetting of the modem part.

Mr. G

Comment

I have SWB DSL....works like a champ. Occaisionally I reboot the router (like after a storm) but not often
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 11 2004, 12:32 AM
            I will start off by saying I use Charter. (Charter sucks Wang)

I will be browsing this site and I will click on a link from some of you guys and it either takes forever to load or it doesnt load at all. Then, after that happens, NOTHING works. I cant get any site to load.

BUT I still am allowed to refresh and post and pm people on this site. If I close this window, I cant get back to the site, but as long as I stay in it I can post and read.

Also, when it goes out like that, I cant see any pictures or avatars or anything, and it really fucks it up.

I dont understand wtf is going on when it does that. Any advice? I use IE.

To get the internet back, I have to either reset the modem or unplug the power source to modem and let it sit for two minutes. Then it works fine.

My pc is hooked up to a router with two other pc's (older pc's in a different room)
            I never use those pc's for online use, but they are hooked up anyway. Should I unplug them from router- would that help? Or is that not effecting it at all?

Thanks guys!
            I had that exact problem with charter -- 007 and I would hit each other with the "HANG!" messages when that would happen...

Basically, your modem stops sending/receiving packets, but you are still "connected" to the internet. It was a problem with my modem, and once I got it replaced it worked great.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

hmmmmm.....i've had charter for a couple of years now.....have never had that happen. well, not on Mozilla, anyway. sometimes IE is screwy, but i RARELY use it.
              Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

I've been having problems with Charter Pipeline for the last three or four days.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

UPDATE.

I have tried several things, and Charter wouldnt help me.

Here is what I think it is.

I uninstalled Spybot. I never got knocked off line.

I talked with an IT friend of mine and he told me that I likely blocked some something with spybot and it would knock me off at times.

So I am going to re-install it. What do I need to leave"unchecked" in the box during the set up part of spy bot?

thanks.

Comment

I have found 10 tracking cookies or cookies of tracking sites. Would I need to dump those or keep em?

Comment

Chocolate chip or macadamia nut?
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 15 2004, 09:52 AM
                        Important questions.....
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 15 2004, 09:52 AM
                          Dont ever ask a fed fucking ex question again.

You'll get nothing but bullshit grab ass answers from me.

Comment

Frankly, I would advocate keeping both.

Though macadamia nut are rarer -- at least for me -- chocolate chip are classics for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow+Mar 15 2004, 09:56 AM-->
                              QUOTE (JackSparrow @ Mar 15 2004, 09:56 AM)
                              Working...
                              X