Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis Cardinals Minor League Prospects

Good overview

Someone needs to tell this guy that Stephenson and Tomko are no longer on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 10 2004, 12:52 PM
      Someone needs to tell this guy that Stephenson and Tomko are no longer on the team.
      No kidding.

No mention of Dan Haren, either.

Are they aniticipating that Tyler Johnson is the closer of the future? Nothing against Isringhausen, but it sure would be nice to have a cheaper guy at that spot.
      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser+Mar 10 2004, 01:28 PM-->
        QUOTE(kaiser @ Mar 10 2004, 01:28 PM)

This article sounds like a bunch of information culled from other articles.
        I would bet the farm that this guy has never a) seen these guys play himself or B) actually talked to scouts about their strengths/weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone+Mar 10 2004, 01:29 PM-->
          QUOTE(Fishbone @ Mar 10 2004, 01:29 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 01:28 PM

Fishbone:

I would still consider Haren a prospect. I'd like to see him in AA or AAA all year. Which would mean we didn't need him, and he's on the big club next year.

Why do you say he's no longer a prospect?
          I'm always right.

Comment

Isn't he technically not a rookie anymore? I forgot what the maximum amount of days spent in the majors where it disqualifies you for being classified a rookie, but I am almost positive he does not qualify anymore. I too would like to see him in AAA so he can build up his stamina; that was clearly his most glaring weakness.

Comment

I can't imagine this ball club resigning Izzy whenever his contract is up...

I like him and when healthy he's a top closer..but he'll never be close to a 40-save guy with his arm history and only those kind of closers should be getting his dollars..

I think its very difficult to groom a closer in the minors...because now all of a sudden he's pitching in the bottom of the 9th to major league hitters and confidence can go out the window in a hurry..

IMO the best formula..provided of course the pitcher in question has pretty good stuff to begin with...even if he was a starter in the high minors let him use all three of his pitches in middle releif or even some spot starts for a couple fo seasons and then if it looks like things are coming together try him out in the role...of course that scenario is usually kept for teams that aren't expected to contend...

In the Cardinals case that might have to be the way to go when Izzy's contract is up...if the payroll stays constant with all the big contracts we currently have..

Perhaps Calero with this coming year under his belt can be the guy when the time comes..who knows..

Comment

Fishbone, I don't know the answer to that, but I wasn't being that technical about it. Perhaps the author was. But I would consider Haren a "prospect" given that he's going to be in the minors, most likely, but isn't there because he's considered to a career minor leaguer or something like that.

Given some the other things the author mentioned, like what Kah said, I don't know that the author knows that Haren exists, "prospect" or not. Backstop probably nailed it--this guy's cribbing his info from somewhere else.
                I'm always right.

Comment

Working...
                X