Davis Love on respect, etiquette, and GWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis Love on respect, etiquette, and GWB

Q. You've been around the game -- you're 40 years old. You've played the Tour for a long time. A lot of us think it's the Tiger effect. Since he joined the Tour, this new group of golf fan has come on who doesn't respect the game or doesn't have any etiquette. Have you noticed it that way? I noticed it down at the Masters around 92, 93, before Tiger. They got Ian Woosnam pretty good Sunday afternoon. Have you noticed a great change and can you remember when it came?

DAVIS LOVE III: I don't remember when it came, but I don't think it's just golf. I think it's our whole society. They don't respect what other people do, don't respect your elders, don't respect other people's space, don't respect traditions or etiquette or customs. You see it in every sport, you see it walking down the street, not holding the door open for a lady when you're supposed to. It's what President Bush is fighting for, you know, traditions and etiquette and being good people.

It doesn't matter if Tiger, John Daly, Fred Couples, anybody gets people excited, Greg Norman, Jack Nicklaus. People get excited to watch them play, but you've got to respect the person first and then you've got to respect the game and then respect how hard it is to play the game, and let people play.

I heard it five times this week, people say, "Do you want a beer" when I'm walking through the ropes. I don't drink beer when I'm out at dinner, like last night. I don't need a beer when I just birdied a hole or when I just bogeyed a hole. People just assume that we're out here screwing around, and we're not screwing around, we're playing hard. I played however many guys I played, a bunch of great players this week. It's hard work, and I don't come into your office and screw you up. Don't come in my office and screw me up.
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Thanks for posting that.

This is brilliant:
    It's what President Bush is fighting for, you know, traditions and etiquette and being good people.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Yes, it is.

Comment

Working...
      X