Sweet (and sour) Home St Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet (and sour) Home St Louis

Reading Bill McLellan's (sic?) column and another few recently it struck me that this 'woe is me' stuff is still rampant in St Louis.

A lot of us seem to find it almost a sign of being 'honest' about our city to talk about it in a sort of negative way. We go on about its provincial aspects ("what high school did you go to?") and the perceived conservative aura of this place.

Apparently some downtown-devoid California 'expert' recently said that ours "sucks.'

THAT really hit home to me. Not about our downtown so much (it's NOT such a vibrant place is it?) as it did about the decades long misconception we seem to have about this town.

Several weeks ago I spent a few days in Amsterdam with my son. It's a famous place isn't it? Do you know what the metropolitan population is? I read the magazine in my hotel. It's 1,700,000 people. We've got almost a million more than that in our metropolitan area. The magazine listed their most famous inhabitants..........all 55 of them. Other than the obvious impressionist artists and composers, not only did it pale in comparison to St Louis in world-wide ‘celebrities’ but in the numbers of prominent historical figures.

I've lived for years outside of my hometown and it always amazes me how misguided people are about it. It's OUR own damn fault! My goodness, we have SO much history here (far more than stupid places like Miami, Denver, L.A., S.F. and on and on..........including Chicago).

I've lived in S.F., L.A. Chicago, N.Y. and London and the ONLY place I've ever lived in that is comfortable (both from a weather and cultural climate) is Sweet Home St Louis. Did anyone check out the temperature in Chicago today?

As objectively as I can be I simply reiterate what a lot of my African American friends have said to me and that I have come to believe also, Chicago is the most racist city in the country.

We underestimate our town. We have some of the greatest architecture in the country, great schools, decent people, affordable housing, and every conceivable kind of entertainment and cultural institutions.........not to mention history.

We're our own worst enemies. I hope that somehow, someway, we get this right in my lifetime. I DON'T want a bunch of people moving in here as I like it the way it is. I just wish that those of us who do live here understand and appreciate just what we do have here.

The grass ISN'T greener on the other side. You CAN come home.

I say we do what Amsterdam has done......get us a famous red-light district!!!

Comment

Lode,

While I personally perfer the bay area (SF,Oak, and environs), the St. Louis are does have alot going for it. You've hit the nail squarely on the head, in regards to the local populace being their own worst enemy. It's not only a racial divide that needs to be bridged, but, there are many other divides that hurt this area.

I've always noticed how this area seemingly refuses to have a regional spirit of cooperation. By that I mean, if a major employer wanted to locate in this area, and the choice was say Edwardsville, Illinois, the leaders on the Missouri side should pinch in and help Edwardsville land the prize. But, what I see is an indifference to the Illinois side of our area.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 10 2004, 02:48 AM
        Reading Bill McLellan's (sic?) column and another few recently it struck me that this 'woe is me' stuff is still rampant in St Louis.

A lot of us seem to find it almost a sign of being 'honest' about our city to talk about it in a sort of negative way. We go on about its provincial aspects ("what high school did you go to?") and the perceived conservative aura of this place.

Apparently some downtown-devoid California 'expert' recently said that ours "sucks.'

THAT really hit home to me. Not about our downtown so much (it's NOT such a vibrant place is it?) as it did about the decades long misconception we seem to have about this town.

Several weeks ago I spent a few days in Amsterdam with my son. It's a famous place isn't it? Do you know what the metropolitan population is? I read the magazine in my hotel. It's 1,700,000 people. We've got almost a million more than that in our metropolitan area. The magazine listed their most famous inhabitants..........all 55 of them. Other than the obvious impressionist artists and composers, not only did it pale in comparison to St Louis in world-wide ‘celebrities’ but in the numbers of prominent historical figures.

I've lived for years outside of my hometown and it always amazes me how misguided people are about it. It's OUR own damn fault! My goodness, we have SO much history here (far more than stupid places like Miami, Denver, L.A., S.F. and on and on..........including Chicago).

I've lived in S.F., L.A. Chicago, N.Y. and London and the ONLY place I've ever lived in that is comfortable (both from a weather and cultural climate) is Sweet Home St Louis. Did anyone check out the temperature in Chicago today?

As objectively as I can be I simply reiterate what a lot of my African American friends have said to me and that I have come to believe also, Chicago is the most racist city in the country.

We underestimate our town. We have some of the greatest architecture in the country, great schools, decent people, affordable housing, and every conceivable kind of entertainment and cultural institutions.........not to mention history.

We're our own worst enemies. I hope that somehow, someway, we get this right in my lifetime. I DON'T want a bunch of people moving in here as I like it the way it is. I just wish that those of us who do live here understand and appreciate just what we do have here.

The grass ISN'T greener on the other side. You CAN come home.
        Great post Lode. It takes moving away from St. Louis to really see what it has going for it. I haven't lived in St. Louis since 1981, and very few days have gone by that I haven't told myself that soon I'm moving back. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. I'm still planning on moving back before I pull the plug, and I can't wait. And I wouldn't trade St. Louis for Amsterdam even if St. Louis had those neat little "smoke" shops.
        I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I love this town....

if we can only get people to redevelop the inner suburbs and blighted parts of the city....instead of you know....flood plains............
          Are you on the list?

Comment

The publicity surrounding the St. Louis school board does NOT help this city's image.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 10 2004, 08:13 AM
              The publicity surrounding the St. Louis school board does NOT help this city's image.
              nor do the throngs of morons who couldn't get in and instead of saying "Damn should have gotten here eariler" cried "LET US IN LET US IN" like the meeting was closed. It wasn't it was an open meeting that these worthless schmucks were too late to. They have decided that the St. Louis Schools have sucked from an administrative stand point for at least a decade. If these people had given a shit then the schools would not be in the shape they are in. I honestly wish the media would quit giving them face time, it only encourages them.

the asscakes :angry:

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Lode,

Well said.

While people may say one thing, they do another.

I know many that have moved away and then moved back later on.

As you're aware, I'm in that group.
                And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

I never missed St.Louis until I lived in Atlanta. Granted, the ATL had some great things going for it: 2 hours from the mountains, 4 hours from the ocean, the center of the east coast powwow circuit, excellent concert venues, and an amazingly diverse nightlife.

But it also had terribe, horrible, no good, very bad traffic problems, crime, corruption, high cost of living, and a very large "in" scene.

I missed St.Louis because I didn't mind hugging the stranger next to me at a Blues game..or high fiving the stranger next to me at a Cards game. I missed St.Louis because even on a college budget (not a pennyto spare), I could still go to the zoo and park and have a great time. I love the museums and parks this city has. I missed St.Louis because I could live in the city and not drop half a million for a house. I missed old friends, family, neighborhoods, the Lemp mansion, Soulard, the riverfront ...and even answering the age-old high school question.

Which, by the way, is Ft.Zumwalt North & Parkway Central.

Now that I'm back, I highly doubt I will stray far from it.
                  "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
                  -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

That school board is a disgrace and embarassing. Though I don't have any idea how they plan to fix it or if they even are going to try. Its messed up bad.

As for STL.... I say, let's just appreciate what we have. Who cares if all these uppity clowns can't appreciate it.
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 10 2004, 02:48 AM

Having lived in Chicago for 9 years, I absoutely agree with you on this.

Not saying St. Louis is perfect, but Chicago is real bad in this area.

han solo

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 10 2004, 08:47 AM
                        Lode,

Well said.

While people may say one thing, they do another.

I know many that have moved away and then moved back later on.

As you're aware, I'm in that group.
                        As you know, I would love to get back myself, JD.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 10 2004, 08:04 AM
                          I love this town....

if we can only get people to redevelop the inner suburbs and blighted parts of the city....instead of you know....flood plains............
                          They are already doing that in St. Chuck.

They a got a great new development called New Town.
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze+Mar 10 2004, 10:51 AM-->
                            QUOTE(lazydaze @ Mar 10 2004, 10:51 AM)

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 10 2004, 11:00 AM

i was driving to crown candy the other day and was just disappointed that more people won't roll up their sleeves and move into those houses...........they are stately...........

i'm thinking about it
                            SLU,

If I didn't have kids, I'd consider it. Unfortunately with Private School out of the question for them, I'm very limited in where I can live.

Comment

Working...
                            X