Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn prof to decide on Owens

Penn prof to decide on Owens

A University of Pennsylvania law professor could decide Terrell Owens' fate.

The NFL Players Association issued a news release yesterday stating that it had filed a "special master" case on behalf of the wide receiver, who was traded to the Baltimore Ravens but desperately wants to be declared a free agent so he can sign with the Eagles

Stephen B. Burbank, the David Berger Professor for the Administration of Justice at Penn, will hear the case. He was jointly selected in November 2002 by the league and the players association to serve as the special master. Burbank has worked at Penn since 1975.

No hearing date has been set.

Burbank is on vacation in Malibu Beach, Calif., and did not return phone calls last night.

U.S. District Judge David S. Doty, who oversees the NFL's collective-bargaining agreement, will review Burbank's decision.

Owens, as expected, did not show up yesterday for his physical with the Ravens, but issued a statement that he won't suit up for Baltimore.

"So that there is no misunderstanding, regardless of what happens with the grievance, under the present circumstances I do not see myself playing for the Ravens," Owens said. "I can assure everyone that I will continue to keep fighting for my right to play for the team of my choice even after the grievance. At the end of this process, I simply want to be able to exercise my right to play for a team of my choosing under a deal that is fair to me and my family."

Ravens coach Brian Billick said the team had no plans to overturn the trade and was still hoping that Owens will play for his team next season.

Ravens spokesman Chad Steele said: "This is a matter between the league and the union right now. We can't do anything until we hear back on the ruling."

Greg Aiello, vice president of public relations for the NFL, repeated the league's stance yesterday that it considered Owens' trade from the San Francisco 49ers a done deal.

The NFLPA said general counsel Richard Berthelsen and New York lawyer Jeffrey Kessler will present the case on behalf of Owens, who agreed to a contract with the Eagles on Thursday before learning that the 49ers had dealt him to the Ravens for a second-round pick.

Owens' attorneys will argue that the trade between San Francisco and Baltimore should be voided and that the wide receiver should be declared a free agent.

The league argues that the trade should stand because Owens' agent David Joseph failed to file paperwork by the Feb. 21 deadline to inform the 49ers that he planned to void the final three years of his contract. That deadline was moved up this year because the NFL wanted to give teams a chance to use the franchise tag on players in Owens' situation.

Exactly which argument Owens will use to try to gain his free agency is not known. He has said that he believes he should have received a letter from the NFLPA informing him about the new deadline. It could also be argued that when Owens signed his contract with the 49ers, there was a different deadline than the one that now exists.

Owens has said he will fight as long as he can to become a free agent.

For the Eagles fans who want him in Philadelphia, they at least have a local lawyer hearing the case.

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

He's got no case.

I can't believe he hasn't fired his agent. Perhaps he doesn't hold his rep to the same standard he does his QBs and coordinators.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 9 2004, 11:43 PM
      He's got no case.

I can't believe he hasn't fired his agent. Perhaps he doesn't hold his rep to the same standard he does his QBs and coordinators.
      Post of the week.

Flat out joke.

Owens is a fucking baby. He deserves what he gets.
      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Thanks, Cap'n.

Yes he is and yes he does.

"Instant Karma's gonna get ya' -- gonna kick you right in the face."
        His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
        Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

I hope he wins the case and then the Eagles tell him to pound sand.

TO is a total clown.
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
          X