Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Networking Probs Between Xp Pro and Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Networking Probs Between Xp Pro and Home?

Considering getting XP Pro for my new pc.

Is it worth it? I guess its another $50+

Will there be ANY problems networking XP Pro with the XP Home machines I already have?
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

I have never tried, but would be willing to bet money that it would be very easy to accomplish.
    Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Its an extra $57.

Probably not worth it..... right?
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Winston,

It depends what you intend to use the XP Professional machine for.

Are you going to work from home and need higher level of security for that machine?

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

If you are just going to use the machine (Professional) for home use, I would never spend the additional 57 dollars on the OS. XP is very easy to network-I doubt very seriously that it would be easier to network XP Pro to XP Home as compared to XP home to XP Home. It really is that simple.

-

Comment

If you're planning on joining a domain or using remote desktop, Pro is a requirement.

Other than that, it's not much different.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

XP home is a stabler version of ME.........Please don't buy it..........If you want to do any kind of home networking bite that $57 bullet and get pro...........
              AKA reddevil
              AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by davel@Mar 9 2004, 09:47 PM
                XP home is a stabler version of ME.........Please don't buy it..........If you want to do any kind of home networking bite that $57 bullet and get pro...........
                Actually XP home and XP pro are built off the exact same kernal.

Home is the exact same OS minus the networking necessities for business use.
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 9 2004, 09:50 PM-->
                  QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Mar 9 2004, 09:50 PM)

Originally posted by davel+Mar 9 2004, 09:58 PM-->
                  QUOTE(davel @ Mar 9 2004, 09:58 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2004, 09:50 PM

BBZ...............

I know all the Win OSes from 2K on are built on NT..........I meant it as more of a functionalty thing..............Not the kernel itself..........I talked my old boss into going to NT workstations instead of 98..........It was a step in the right direction...........

Trying to network ME or XP home is very........well trying...........Even in a home environ.............But ME is a complete bastardization that never should have been released
                  AKA reddevil
                  AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

and all this time I thought NT stood for 'Nice Try'
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by davel@Mar 9 2004, 10:33 PM
                      BBZ...............

I know all the Win OSes from 2K on are built on NT..........I meant it as more of a functionalty thing..............Not the kernel itself..........I talked my old boss into going to NT workstations instead of 98..........It was a step in the right direction...........

Trying to network ME or XP home is very........well trying...........Even in a home environ.............But ME is a complete bastardization that never should have been released
                      Your problem lies in ME. I agree that whole thing was a excuse for not releasing XP on time. It should have never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 9 2004, 10:40 PM-->
                        QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Mar 9 2004, 10:40 PM)

Thanks guys, I'm going to get XP Home instead.

Its not worth the $57 for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X