Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's pennies in them thar pockets

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...mark&id=1755151

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

I sense a 16-game winning streak for the Rams in the very near future...
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

As long as the current system is in place, there will never be a team so thoroughly dominating one team over a long period of years like the Dolphins did the Bills in the 1970s or the 49ers did the Rams in the 1990s.

Anyway, everyone knows I'm not a fan of John York but I definitely have to re-assess my view of him. Everyone pointing out how they've cut guys like Garcia and Hearst are conveniently ignoring that the 49ers spent big money this off-season to keep Kevan Barlow and Ahmed Plummer around for the long haul and committed big money to Julian Peterson by placing the franchise tag on him.

York isn't going to spend like DeBartolo did but he isn't nearly as cheap as many have made him out to be (after 2001, he ponied up to re-sign Garrison Hearst and Fred Beasley, and to sign Tony Parrish). And since they were able to sign Plummer, I think they're a definite contender in the NFC West next season because they probably have the best defense in the division.

Comment

As long as the current system is in place, there will never be a team so thoroughly dominating one team over a long period of years like the Dolphins did the Bills in the 1970s or the 49ers did the Rams in the 1990s.
        Dev,

My dig was done with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Comment

I figured as much...but I still had to answer it!

Comment

I would have been disappointed if you didn't! :P

Comment

Dev -

I think in the age of Salary Cap, you gotta pick one side of the ball and commit the majority of the cap towards to.

In this case it seems Niners are planning to commit a large chunk of the money towards the D.

I think this can be a good strategy because the WCO offense is the type of offense where you can have a good QB to run it well. You don't need to have a HOF behind the center to have success. With a good receiving RB, the niners can focus on the D.

The Rams are doing the opposite by committing to the O side due to the nature of the offense which requires skill players to execute it. Not to mention having a coach in love with the O as well.

han solo

Comment

Excellent article, 007. York is the consumate cheap bastard...Even Cincinnati's Mike Brown is ashamed...

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Mar 9 2004, 05:58 PM
                  Dev -

I think in the age of Salary Cap, you gotta pick one side of the ball and commit the majority of the cap towards to.

In this case it seems Niners are planning to commit a large chunk of the money towards the D.

I think this can be a good strategy because the WCO offense is the type of offense where you can have a good QB to run it well. You don't need to have a HOF behind the center to have success. With a good receiving RB, the niners can focus on the D.

The Rams are doing the opposite by committing to the O side due to the nature of the offense which requires skill players to execute it. Not to mention having a coach in love with the O as well.

han solo
                  Han:

I think any team that decides to build through offense rather than through defense is completely missing the boat in this era. The Ravens, Patriots, and Buccaneers should be obvious proof of this.

Comment

Working...
                  X