National Debt by President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Debt by President

Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

The History
    The national debt peaked at 120% of GDP in 1946 due to the war effort, but Roosevelt, Truman, Ike, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon and Carter all did their part to bring it back to pre-war levels, 32.5% by the beginning of 1981. Then, Reagan took office. The debt took off, rising non-stop for 12 years to 66.3% at the end of Bush's term, erasing 25 years of progress.

Clinton stopped the bleeding in just three years and then dropped the debt from 67% to 57% in his last five years. Bush wasted no time in reversing this progress and is now forecasting that he will achieve the highest ratio of debt to GDP in 50 years—if we re-elect him. For more detail see: Trillion Dollar Politics [PDF]

Whose Numbers?
    The data plotted here were taken from the Historical Tables of the 2005 budget posted on www.Whitehouse.gov, Table 7.1, Gross Federal Debt as a Percentage of GDP.
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Vote for Kerry. He's vowed to stop out of control spending.
      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 9 2004, 08:27 AM
        Vote for Kerry. He's vowed to stop out of control spending.
        And Kim Jong Il loves him.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith+Mar 9 2004, 08:33 AM-->
          QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Mar 9 2004, 08:33 AM)

Only really ignorant people ignore the facts!

Typical Republican strategy: Slander the opposition!

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Mar 9 2004, 08:59 AM
            Only really ignorant people ignore the facts!

Typical Republican strategy: Slander the opposition!
            Let's try to switch the subject stat!
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Seriously. If you want to discuss and debate it one thing, but he partisan name calling has gone on long enough. Let's try and be civil.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

IMO: What the Chart clearly indicates is a distinct philosophical difference in the two parties regarding economic principles!

Isn't the GOP supposed to be fiscally conservative?

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Mar 9 2004, 11:41 AM
                  IMO: What the Chart clearly indicates is a distinct philosophical difference in the two parties regarding economic principles!

Did you not realize that we are @ war and deficits tend to go up during those periods?

Check you little graph on that....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Mar 9 2004, 11:41 AM

Yes, and it's very sad. With neither of the 2 parties showing any interest in reducing spending, we are in big trouble.
                    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

"With WHITE HOUSE forecast"

Are these the guys who forecasted the JOBS?
                      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 9 2004, 12:43 PM-->
                        QUOTE(BurnKU @ Mar 9 2004, 12:43 PM)

Originally posted by madyaks+Mar 9 2004, 11:48 AM-->
                        QUOTE(madyaks @ Mar 9 2004, 11:48 AM)
                        Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2004, 12:43 PM

Did you not realize that we are @ war and deficits tend to go up during those periods?

Check you little graph on that.
                        First, it's not MY little chart!

Next: A war is an expense that is usually not planned and therefore, not included in the budget. Non-the-less, a war is expensive, and has to be financed. There are three possible ways the Government can finance a war:

1) By imposing a temporary income tax surcharge, where every taxpayer sacrifices an equal percentage!!

2) By reducing spending in other government programs, again, many sacrifice something; or

3) By borrowing, and increasing the National debt! Nobody sacrifices (except the troops--and future taxpayers)!

Bush picks number three, and to exasperate the problem-- to increase deficit spending even more-- orders more tax cuts!

The war goes on, spending goes up, receipts go down, and Bush campaigns on making the tax cuts permanent!

And you call that being fiscally conservative?

I don't even call that being fiscally responsible! :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                        X