don't mess with texas.....from TPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't mess with texas.....from TPM

A calculator is a terrible thing to waste ...

The labor force typically expands by about 150,000 a month. This has led economists to estimate that payrolls must rise by more than 200,000 a month to reverse the damage in the job market.

Dallas Morning News
    January 10th, 2004
    We've added more than 350,000 new jobs over the last six months. The tax relief we passed is working.

George W. Bush
    Dallas, Texas
    March 8th, 2004
    Where's that calculator?

-- Josh Marshall
    (March 07, 2004 -- 05:46 PM EDT // link // print)
    Are you on the list?

Burn?

Strong economy?

manufacture me a cheeseburger?
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 9 2004, 08:15 AM

manufacture me a cheeseburger?
      Would you like fries with that?

Comment

Until you have a better suggestion than "Bush sucks", that doesn't mean much. It's my opinion, job creation would be worse with Kerry's ideas as opposed to Bush. But I'm not an economic genius like you.
        Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 9 2004, 07:57 AM
          A calculator is a terrible thing to waste ...

The labor force typically expands by about 150,000 a month. This has led economists to estimate that payrolls must rise by more than 200,000 a month to reverse the damage in the job market.

Dallas Morning News
          January 10th, 2004
          We've added more than 350,000 new jobs over the last six months. The tax relief we passed is working.

George W. Bush
          Dallas, Texas
          March 8th, 2004
          Where's that calculator?

-- Josh Marshall
          (March 07, 2004 -- 05:46 PM EDT // link // print)
          Bluey,

Normal economic policy tells us that when a recession hits, it's time to cut taxes and take on deficit spending. This is a point of view held, obviously, irrespective of a Democrat or Republican. Basic economic theory.

Now, whether or not Bush followed this line of thinking for his tax cuts is up for debate. I read an interesting article somewhere, maybe it was posted here or the Economist, that said that consumers' taxes should have been cut in the wake of the recession of 2001, and the higher tax brackets actually raised. Whatever. In any case, taxes were cut, and deficit spending continued -- in industries like defense, especially, that are great for jobs. Again, this is basic macroeconomics.

Now, if you agree we're out of a recession and into a recovery? -- I'm not quite convinced by any means -- then Kerry's economic policy of assumedly raising taxes may be appropriate. But most of us would think that we're not, the economy is undergoing some structural changes, regardless of who is in the White House, and basic recessional/early recovery economics still apply.
          The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

i don't think that Bush's tax cuts were targeted where they would have made the most difference.
            Are you on the list?

Comment

Blu, by targeting them where he did, he made the most amount of revenue available for economic revival.
              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
              X