Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People raising stink over STL stadium construction

Read all aboot'it

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

waa.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 8 2004, 05:07 PM
      waa.
      Yeah, no shit....

typical st. louis....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 8 2004, 05:08 PM-->
        QUOTE(007 @ Mar 8 2004, 05:08 PM)

What a joke. What was on that site before the groundbreaking started?
        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Mar 8 2004, 06:36 PM
          What a joke. What was on that site before the groundbreaking started?
          No shit.. Why come out with this now?

"
          Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Well, my take on this is a little different than "waa".

While I think it's important that cities preserve what they can of their history, I find it hard to justify calling some old bottles and track supports "archaeological finds". We know the history of what was there, so it can be safely assumed that we already have bits and pieces of the times gone by in that general area.

What I *am* concerned about is this being "private property", and thus leaving the city with the wide open opportunity of not having to report any of their finds. Bones, be it white, black or Native...bowls, arrowheads, shackels...things of that nature can go unreported if the city so chooses. That does concern me.

There is a huge gap in pre-Colombian history that needs to be studied and preserved. In their digging, if they were to find something of that age, then I agree that the construction should stop and the site excavated. But they most certainly shouldn't stop construction just because they find "historical artifacts" of an era that is well documented.
            "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
            -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulous_Blue@Mar 8 2004, 07:37 PM

There is a huge gap in pre-Colombian history that needs to be studied and preserved. In their digging, if they were to find something of that age, then I agree that the construction should stop and the site excavated. But they most certainly shouldn't stop construction just because they find "historical artifacts" of an era that is well documented.

Most people just don't care about pre-Columbian anything.
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Who knows....maybe they'll find Hoffa!!

Comment

That's not true. In the 60's and 70's, Columbian was very much in vouge
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

What the hell is the author of this article talking about? There isnt shit there but old buildings and crappy parking. If this area was so important it should have been preserved years ago. St. Louisans should be happy that anything new is being built downtown.
                    Although they may find some of the old Budweiser cans that my family has been leaving in the parking lot for the last 30 years!
                    Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
                    ---------------------------
                    North County born and raised.
                    ----------------------------
                    Go Navy!
                    ----------------------------
                    http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
                    (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

Comment

I will post a number in case they find ANYTHING Columbian. Kev and I would be thrilled. Also something Thai....maybe a *stick* or something.

Old school ganja.....gotta love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulous_Blue@Mar 8 2004, 07:37 PM
                        Well, my take on this is a little different than "waa".

While I think it's important that cities preserve what they can of their history, I find it hard to justify calling some old bottles and track supports "archaeological finds". We know the history of what was there, so it can be safely assumed that we already have bits and pieces of the times gone by in that general area.

What I *am* concerned about is this being "private property", and thus leaving the city with the wide open opportunity of not having to report any of their finds. Bones, be it white, black or Native...bowls, arrowheads, shackels...things of that nature can go unreported if the city so chooses. That does concern me.

i'm not sure that any traces of pre columbians wouldn't have been wiped out in the hundreds of years this city has been here neb.
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 9 2004, 07:44 AM

i'm not sure that any traces of pre columbians wouldn't have been wiped out in the hundreds of years this city has been here neb.
                          True...but archaeologists are still unsure of just how far communities were spread around Cahokia. Depending on just how far they dig, they might find something of importance.

I'm concerned that any kind of major find might be swept under the table if it means a delay in stadium construction.
                          "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
                          -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

And these people weren't pissed that there was blacktop covering this site before?

:rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                            X