NHL trading deadline, 2 PM CST Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL trading deadline, 2 PM CST Tuesday

Since I suggested the idea, I'm starting it right now. And I'll begin with this Chris Pronger/Doug Weight related article from the ever-unreliable Bruce Garrioch in today's Ottawa Sun:

Pronger big on Sens
    But St. Louis blueliner isn't likely to be on move
    By BRUCE GARRIOCH, Ottawa Sun

Chris Pronger has put the Senators on his wish list. League sources say the defenceman has informed St. Louis GM Larry Pleau that the Blues should consider dealing him before tomorrow's NHL trade deadline if they don't intend to qualify him at $9.5 million (all figures US) this summer.

And sources also say the Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs were among "four or five" teams that Pronger has told Pleau he'd like to be moved to if the Blues decide to back off on their promise to make the qualifying offer.

A report in a New York paper yesterday said Pronger asked for a trade because he was upset with the firing of coach Joel Quenneville. Pronger vehemently denied it.

"I've never heard of any of that. I don't know where this stuff is coming from," Pronger told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last night. He added he expects to be with the Blues after tomorrow's deadline.

The asking price for Pronger would be a huge. A league executive said last night the Blues would shoot for the moon and ask for winger Marian Hossa and that's where discussions would halt immediately with Senators GM John Muckler, who has denied having any talks with the Blues.

Muckler didn't board the club's charter to Washington yesterday because he wants to be back in his office bright and early today to continue working the phones in his search for a defenceman.

Sources told the Sun Muckler is a close to a deal which would see the club surrender blueliner Karel Rachunek in exchange for a top-four defenceman. But there's still plenty of work to be done before anything is finalized.

Though Muckler would rather not give up anybody off the Senators' current roster, you've got to give up something to get something. And while Rachunek could help Ottawa in the playoffs, he might be a more valuable asset on the trade market.

Rachunek, who was a healthy scratch Saturday vs. Nashville with what club officials called a sore back, likely won't be in the lineup tonight at the MCI Center if Zdeno Chara is healthy. If that's the case, Rachunek may well have played his last game with Ottawa.

The list of targets hasn't changed: Washington's Brendan Witt, Carolina's Sean Hill, and Buffalo's Alexei Zhitnik, along with Anaheim's Keith Carney and Ruslan Salei. Any of the five would fit in on Ottawa's blue line.

But the Senators aren't alone in seeking defensive help. The Ducks must decide whether they're going to be buyers or sellers and the latter appears to be their choice.

What's also hot in the rumour mill:

- There's a bidding war surrounding Rangers winger Martin Rucinsky, with suitors including Dallas, Toronto, Los Angeles, Vancouver, St. Louis and San Jose. The asking price is a high draft pick and a prospect. Los Angeles and St. Louis are considered contenders, too.

- Another player who could be on the move is former Senators winger Shawn McEachern. The Sharks, Leafs and Blues are looking to add depth up front and reports indicate they've all held talks with the Thrashers about McEachern.

- Hill remains a player everybody is watching. The word is he's told the 'Canes he'll accept a deal to New Jersey, Toronto and possibly Ottawa. If he waives his no-trade clause, he could return to Carolina next year.

- Flyers GM Bobby Clarke might not be done dealing. He's made a pitch to the Blues for centre Doug Weight and could be interested in bringing back defenceman Eric Weinrich. Philly also likes New York defenceman Greg de Vries.

- The Caps are also still prepared to move goaltender Olaf Kolzig, while the Kings are looking at Washington winger Anson Carter.

As Dev suggested, post Blues trades in a seperate thread so Jack can follow along

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The folks on 590FAN state that Al Strachan, the other shit-pot stirrer, is close to Pronger's representation and believes there is something to it....

Comment

I've never seen people get so wound up for a day as they do for the trade deadline day, outside of maybe, Christmas. I haven't gotten anything done at work the past two years on trade deadline day because I spent all of my time on the internet. I'm torqued because I have to go out of town tonight, and I won't be near a computer tomorrow. So, good luck to all! I hope Santa brings you whatever you've asked for!
        June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Mar 8 2004, 10:39 AM
          I've never seen people get so wound up for a day as they do for the trade deadline day, outside of maybe, Christmas. I haven't gotten anything done at work the past two years on trade deadline day because I spent all of my time on the internet. I'm torqued because I have to go out of town tonight, and I won't be near a computer tomorrow. So, good luck to all! I hope Santa brings you whatever you've asked for!
          NHL deadline day is the most fun trading deadline of them all because it is so close to the end of the regular season. CheesesteakDude and I have shared every NHL deadline day together online since 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar+Mar 8 2004, 12:42 PM-->
            QUOTE(devaskar @ Mar 8 2004, 12:42 PM)

It's one of my favorite days of the year!
            Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

I still remember CheesesteakDude's reaction to the 2000 trading deadline:

"I took the day off from work for Kent Manderville?"

Comment

What's the beer that has the commercial that has the guys treating St. Patrick's Day like Christmas where they get up and go downstairs and open the beer presents? The NHL could do a similar one for trade deadline day. Of course, it barely makes a blip on espn's radar screen, as its "special" is relegated to the espn news channel, where it might be seen by maybe 100,000 people.

I notice that no one posts from Spector's anymore. Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Mar 8 2004, 12:50 PM
                  What's the beer that has the commercial that has the guys treating St. Patrick's Day like Christmas where they get up and go downstairs and open the beer presents? The NHL could do a similar one for trade deadline day. Of course, it barely makes a blip on espn's radar screen, as its "special" is relegated to the espn news channel, where it might be seen by maybe 100,000 people.

I notice that no one posts from Spector's anymore. Why is that?
                  GUINNESS

Comment

Last year was hilarious when the Blues landed Bure and Osgood....
                    It was kind of like getting underwear instead of a bike on Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 8 2004, 12:47 PM
                      I still remember CheesesteakDude's reaction to the 2000 trading deadline:

"I took the day off from work for Kent Manderville?"
                      LMAO!

The funny thing is that he became one of my favorite players!

Comment

Most of this speculation is most likely bullshit. But if I was the Blues I'd mover Pronger, Weight, Tkachuk and Demitra for as many young players and draft picks as I could possibly get and just start over.
                        "They misunderestimated me."
                        Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
                        -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Comment

guess what?

Kolzig and Carter have the 'flu' and won't play tonite...

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Mar 8 2004, 01:09 PM
                            guess what?

Kolzig and Carter have the 'flu' and won't play tonite...

TRADEBLOCK!

Comment

Working...
                            X