X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals all over ESPN.com

Peter Gammons on Albert Pujols:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1753894

Column on LaRussa's (probable) departure that will no doubt warm the hearts of the bashers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/c...phil&id=1754009

Fantasy baseball look at the Cardinals:

http://games.espn.go.com/content/flb/2004/...?page=cardinals

I meant to bring this up earlier when it appeared in yesterday's P-D when TLR stated that the team could use more 'parties' on the road....

Guess what? Not to validate Jack's favorite columnist, but he was right again...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

PR - the only game they play to win.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Its about damn time Gammons writes about Pujols, instead of the Yankees or Red sox.

Comment

Insightful Rogers column on TLR.

It seems pretty clear that one way or another, Tony is going to be gone at the end of this year. Which drives me a little nuts: Why wait? Why not get a new manager in there and hope the team responds. I just don't see what's gained by having a lame-duck manager go through another so-so year in which his team finishes third in the division.

Let the rebuilding begin now, not a year from now.
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

I love the implication that it was Maddux or nothing.
            His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
            Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 8 2004, 12:52 PM
              I love the implication that it was Maddux or nothing.
              Were there any other free agent pitchers--or, to put it differently, free agent IMPACT pitchers--that came as cheap or cheaper than Greg Maddux? If DeWitt decides he doesn't want to spend what Maddux wanted, he's certainly not going to pay for Kevin Millwood.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 8 2004, 11:44 AM
                Peter Gammons on Albert Pujols:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1753894

Column on LaRussa's (probable) departure that will no doubt warm the hearts of the bashers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/c...phil&id=1754009

Fantasy baseball look at the Cardinals:

http://games.espn.go.com/content/flb/2004/...?page=cardinals
                Stupid East Coast media bias.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 8 2004, 01:21 PM
                  If DeWitt decides he doesn't want to spend what Maddux wanted, he's certainly not going to pay for Kevin Millwood.
                  He should have though.

I can't blame him, though.

We'll be in the same situation next offseason: Wagner will be interested in STL, but because Walter is completely inept, we'll have no chance to get him.

Thanks Walt!
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Mar 8 2004, 01:26 PM-->
                    QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Mar 8 2004, 01:26 PM)

Originally posted by WinstonSmith+Mar 8 2004, 02:33 PM-->
                    QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Mar 8 2004, 02:33 PM)

Originally posted by Fishbone+Mar 8 2004, 02:35 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Fishbone @ Mar 8 2004, 02:35 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2004, 01:26 PM

The Lost Season
                    I urge all of y'all who have already written off the 2004 season to not watch any baseball this year, but instead to take up some other hobby. Photography, flyfishing, whatever.

Wagner will be interested in STL, but because Walter is completely inept, we'll have no chance to get him.
                    Lovely. Other than the rote invocation of "Walt is stupid", is there any actual reason we can't sign Wagner? Morris will probably be gone. Williams will be gone, I believe, minus the $1M annual we're paying him, or whatever it is. The Tino contract will be gone.

Off the top of my head, the only reason I know of not to sign Wagner is that we already have a closer under contract for 2005. A closer who, though not quite as good as Billy Wagner, is pretty darned good.

Comment

Why would we spend 9 million dollars on a closer when the one we have now is proven that that money can be better allocated elsewhere. Oakland has a different closer every year, gets a first round draft pick for every time they lose that closer via free agency, and always has one of the best bullpens in the majors. Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Kah,

I'll admit. I jumped the gun.

I was merely trying to compare it to the Millwood fiasco. I'm not really advocating signing Wagner or whatever, I'm just saying we could have a similar situation.

As for the "closer is not that important" theory.... I think its bunk.

Ask Theo Epstein.

Bullpens are HUGE, particularly in the playoffs.

Imagine a bullpen with Wagner and Izzy.

Kah is right: there won't be the Morris money, nor will there be the Tin0 money.

Frankly, I'd rather spend teh money next year on the pen and go youth with the rotation.
                        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
                        X