Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues News from D. Goold

Folks,

Space, as usual, is limited, so there is a host of stuff that wouldn't fit in the paper. And, as stated many times before, this is the best usage of the forum I can think of ... so here's like a notebook of sorts -- or let's call it notebook "lagniappe".

- This was Lindy Ruff's entire quote about Dallas Drake's hit on Alexei Zhitnik during the defenseman's second shift of the game:

"In a normal situation, I think the guy gets a major and gets kicked out of the game. He's a dirty guy. He's going to get his lunch handed to him."

- Ruff than made a joke about how that's Hitchcock's line. Well, it wasn't overtly clear if Ruff was joking or not about Drake getting "his lunch handed to him." But, if you recall, shortly there after Drake ate a series of brutal lefts from Mair. A knot had even started forming on Drake's noggin by the time he got the penalty box.

- The Blues, of course, laughed off Ruff's quote. Zhitnik turned his back and went flying into the boards because he didn't want to take the hit. Had he taken the hit he would have played on, a few said.

- A year ago this time, the Blues were exploring a trade for Zhitnik -- remember that? Funny how things would have turned on a check. (Zhitnik last season asked for a trade, according to local reports. He obviously did not get it.)

- Miroslav Satan, 29, told a few people Vancouver and the New York Islanders were the leaders for his services. Ya'll saw his cell phone antics after scoring the goal Saturday in Toronto? He scores his goal and as his teammates converge, he takes off his glove and holds his hand to ear as if accepting a call ... or asking for one.

- It will be especially odd if the Sabres trade Satan to the Islanders, the team Buffalo is chasing for eighth in the East.

- Buffalo GM Darcy Regier held an impromptu press conference during the first intermission during which he said "there's a lot of names out there, a lot of teams making calls." He also said the Sabres were in the position a lot of teams were -- "in the middle" of being buyers and sellers. He didn't offer up much except to say, yes, Satan had garnered a lot of interest.

- You all saw a week ago when the Sabres had an Alexei Kovalev bio on their homepage and in the "how acquired:" field is said for Miroslav Satan on Feb. 24, 2004. If not, the story about it and a picture of the bio is on The Buffalo News website.

- So what's that make the count -- three? Three players who have been mistakenly "traded" on websites? Satan ... Gonchar ... Weight. More if you count the players they were e-traded for.

- Here's a look inside how this time of year works: Reporters check the press box seating for who the scouts in attendance are. Last night's game drew two scouts from Florida, three from Toronto, one from Edmonton and one from Anaheim. Reporters start connecting the dots: Is Toronto here to see Satan? There might be something to this Anaheim-Blues stuff that bubbled up yesterday, eh? Edmonton? Edmonton? Well, well ... Jason Smith could be had, a person close to Edmonton told me the other day. Florida? Could this mean a return to STL for Valeri "Full House" Bure? You see how it goes. Well, on Thursday in St. Louis there was something to it -- plenty of teams made it point to come in for that game between two bubble teams.

- But here's the added twist: Some scouts are just there because they live nearby. Most of the scouts at Sunday's game were locals. They weren't there because the Blues were. They were there because a game was. Takes a bit of the charge out of it, doesn't that?

- Still, and this is just me thinking aloud, what to make of Prospal? He was signed a free agent over the summer. His contract goes through 2008. He's got 47 points. Would this be a good fit for the Blues? He's 28. Signed for $2.5 million.

- In a semi-related note, I was told last night that the Blues don't want to discuss long-term contracts with any of the current players because of the CBA. Pronger is, of course, the most notable of the players whose contract expires at the end of this season. Does that policy then extend into the trades here? Pleau doesn't want to add a player with a contract into next season ... yet, what if the other team picks up part of the money?

- Worth repeating on the Pronger deal: If a team were to trade for him -- and offer up the draft pick and two or three NHL-now young players who would be required to make the deal worth the Blues' time -- wouldn't that team be working on a long-term deal for Pronger? Why rent him? Why make the trade and qualify him at $9.5 million? Wouldn't a team want to do what the Blues have chosen not to -- extend Pronger's contract? There has been no contact/discussion to that end.

- Philosophical aside: What would it take to make trading Pronger worthwhile? This scenario was presented to me yesterday -- two of Toronto's young players and a draft pick. That possibly three NHLers (if you pick right; the other two would be locks) for one, plus those three would cost less than the one, right? Maybe even leaving room to get a solid fourth. Four for one. If you reasonably pick the two -- Stajan, Antropov; or go to Ottawa, Spezza (yeah ... right), etc. -- does the deal make sense?

- The essential question is: How much value do is Pronger?

- Say this about a recent report: The Nedved deal did have a few teams scratching their heads about how that deal was done. Mainly because the Rangers are picking up the tab.

- Plenty of time here as I wait for my flight to board.

- Blues still in on Rucinsky and will likely get a phone call from the Rangers asking if they wish to up their offer.

- I get the impression, this weekend was Pleau's time to work the phone and set up a range of options to now pull off in the next 24 hours. I wonder about the time frame. Do the Blues want any new players in house for Tuesday's game? LA plays Tuesday and Wednesday -- against brickwall Johnson and his Phoenix Coyotes (is anybody really surprised by his first game?) -- and will catch up in games Wed. There can't be that kind of haste. Too many games. And if anything over the past few seasons, Pleau has proven his patience -- with goaltenders, with trades, with coaches, with injuries, etc., etc.

- Pleau's patience is the clearest of all.

- And finally, numbers ... this weekend was the Blues first consecutive road victories since early December when they offed Toronto and Columbus. That was part of the nine-game unbeaten streak. It was the Blues first consecutive road victories in back-to-back nights since Nov. 2002 when they defeated the Islanders and Rangers in a 24-hour span. (Remember that game on the Island? Osgood was shelled ... by the Blues. And Peca played one shift, getting a hit on Jackman.)

- More as the day progresses, surely.

From (wireless) Buffalo Airport,

Derrick
    -30-

Mr. G

- Miroslav Satan, 29, told a few people Vancouver and the New York Islanders were the leaders for his services. Ya'll saw his cell phone antics after scoring the goal Saturday in Toronto? He scores his goal and as his teammates converge, he takes off his glove and holds his hand to ear as if accepting a call ... or asking for one.
    I think Derrick interpreted that wrong. To me, it seemed like more of an homage to Joe Horn than asking for a trade.

Comment

That move reminded me of what Jagr used to when he took off his glove, kissed his two fingers, and raised them to the sky....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Mar 8 2004, 03:35 PM
        I think Derrick interpreted that wrong. To me, it seemed like more of an homage to Joe Horn than asking for a trade.
        Satan doesn't even know who Joe Horn is I bet.

That was a message to other GMs to call and make a trade for him. That's why the Sabres were so pissed.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

a
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
          X