Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Opinons On Computer Components For a New PC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Opinons On Computer Components For a New PC

    I'm torn between these two motherboards.

    ABIT IC7-MAX3 $187.99

    Asus P4C800-E $178.99

    A buddy of mine actually has the Asus, but the ABIT looks nice too.

    I'm concerned about onboard audio, as I don't want to shell out the money for a Sound Blaster right now, and I'm told that onboard audio on MOBOs such as these has improved a TON recently.

    This is the processor I'm looking at. Pentium 4, 3.0GHz w/ HT Tech and 800MHz FSB.

    512MB Crucial PC3200 I'll get at least 512, may go for twin sticks.

    I am at a loss for a case, however. I need significant help on that.

    Any advice would be appreciated, particularly on the MOBO and a case.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

  • #2
    Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 8 2004, 10:19 AM
    I'm torn between these two motherboards.

    ABIT IC7-MAX3 $187.99

    Asus P4C800-E $178.99

    A buddy of mine actually has the Asus, but the ABIT looks nice too.

    I'm concerned about onboard audio, as I don't want to shell out the money for a Sound Blaster right now, and I'm told that onboard audio on MOBOs such as these has improved a TON recently.

    This is the processor I'm looking at. Pentium 4, 3.0GHz w/ HT Tech and 800MHz FSB.

    512MB Crucial PC3200 I'll get at least 512, may go for twin sticks.

    I am at a loss for a case, however. I need significant help on that.

    Any advice would be appreciated, particularly on the MOBO and a case.
    I'd go with the Abit board, and that proc...but you have the wrong memory.


    A: you don't need ECC. It'll actually just slow you down.
    B: Your board supports dual channel memory. Rather than a single 512MB stick, get two 256MB sticks. It'll perform better.

    I'd got with this:

    Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM - $45 each
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

    Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am running the Asus right now. LOVE it.

      If you have the cash go ahead and go with 1 gig of ram, and go with two sticks whatever you decide.

      As for the case, it's a personal issue, I built one of the clear see through type, it was fun, all the lights and stuff, but am running a plain jane Antec case right now.



      Oh, And I love the sound from the ASUS, it's just fine, and I listen to a lot of music on this.
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by madyaks@Mar 8 2004, 10:28 AM
        I am running the Asus right now. LOVE it.

        If you have the cash go ahead and go with 1 gig of ram, and go with two sticks whatever you decide.

        As for the case, it's a personal issue, I built one of the clear see through type, it was fun, all the lights and stuff, but am running a plain jane Antec case right now.



        Oh, And I love the sound from the ASUS, it's just fine, and I listen to a lot of music on this.
        I had that same case for a dual proc machine I built 3 years ago. I even cut a blowhole in the top of it for ventalation. It's a quality case (heavy too)
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

        Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

        Comment


        • #5
          I know its not the best way to go, but I'm in such a damn hurry.

          Do you think the cases w/ power supplies at BestBuy are worth anything?

          I don't really know anything about the cases, but I like the looks of this one.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 8 2004, 11:37 AM
            I know its not the best way to go, but I'm in such a damn hurry.

            Do you think the cases w/ power supplies at BestBuy are worth anything?

            I don't really know anything about the cases, but I like the looks of this one.
            Nothing wrong with that one at all, case and power supply are both fine.
            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by madyaks+Mar 8 2004, 10:38 AM-->
              QUOTE(madyaks @ Mar 8 2004, 10:38 AM)

            • #8
              Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 8 2004, 10:39 AM
              Chieftec makes the Antec case you posted above. That's a quality case, Winston.
              And it will work with the MOBO and processor just fine? Just double checking.
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by WinstonSmith+Mar 8 2004, 10:43 AM-->
                QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Mar 8 2004, 10:43 AM)

              • #10
                Good.

                I wanted a blue one -- or at least some color other than beige.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

                Comment

                Working...
                X