Kite Flying with my son vs Jumpstart preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kite Flying with my son vs Jumpstart preschool

My 2 and 1/2 year old son went Kite flying for the first time yesterday. There are few moments in my life that have given this much joy. The strong wind really helped and all he had to do was hold on. Of course he dropped the Kite several times and Daddy feels like he did when he used to play tackle football from all the running but it was still great. A note - Kite flying has really changed. In my day we had paper kites that would tear up when they even saw a tree. Today's cheap model is made out of stuff that is very tear resistant. Which got me to thinking.

So much of my youth was hands on learning. Putting together Kites, Go Karts, positioning the G I Joe men for battle. Today's kids have video games for all that and I think they are missing something. The socializaton that comes with group play. You and your buddy taking turns riding that go kart that you both built until it falls apart - usually the second ride.

On the other hand - Jumpstart preschool has provided my non attending day care 2 and 1/2 year old with a tremendous advantage. He doesn't like to talk but knows as much as any four year old. I E he knows the alphabet but won't say it. If you ask him to get the letter Z - he will say Z and go pick up the Z. But he won't say the alphabet song. Same with colors - objects - numbers up to 10. My one year old daughter is even more impressive and lends to the observation that girls actually develop faster than boys. She turns one on Sunday and began talking at 8 months. Her vocabulary is about 100 words and growing every day. Not ma ma and da da either. Water, eat, apple, boy, girl, dog, cat, open, close, Elmo, Barney, cookie, meat, aunty - you name it. Very good at letter recognition too - just not as good as her brother yet. Take her by any computer and she says school - as in welcome to jump start preschool - the opening song.

I am determined to try to mix both technology and hands on with my children. Just my thoughts - and I was wondering if there are some tips out there from older parents.

Schwa
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Ain't they just great?!!!

I have a 8 year old and a 1 and a half year old.

No tips, just hug and kiss em every day.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Building go-karts? Man, you just brought back some fond memories. We had one that was made out of 2x4s, plywood and some lawnmower wheels one of my friends stole from his Dad. The "steering wheel" was a rope tied to the front axle (2x4).

We lived on a hill and we would go screaming down the hill through a 4 way intersection at the bottom of the hill. There are stop signs in all 4 directions now but they weren't there then. It's a wonder we never got hit by a car. That thing would fall apart and then we would steal more parts from our parent's garages and put it back together again.

A friend of mine bought his kids one of those motorized, gas powered go-karts that they sell at Sam's. He has about 5 acres for them to ride around on and they have a blast on that thing. Somehow I don't think they have as much fun as we did on that homemade thing we had though.

The best thing you can do as a parent is spendtime with your kids like flying kites, playing ball in the yard, taking them to the park, taking them camping. I bet if more parents did things like that with their kids when they were young, they wouldn't have as much trouble with them when they're older. Just my opinion. Sounds like you're on your way Schaw.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Schwa,

2 yo and 12 yo here. You have the right idea. My 12 yo had to attend day care for most of her childhood, while my 2 yo has had the fortune to be able to stay home with my wife every day. I definately feel the 2yo has the advantage here, in no small part b/c of the wifey. If you can get your kids to watch the educational TV shows, it really helps. We really like the "brainy baby" series. She really surprises me with how much she knows. The wife also gets involved with our local Parents as Teachers group. If you haven't done so, I HIGHLY reccomend it. They are great and even set us up with a weekly playgroup. This has really helped the kid out, getting together with the same small group 1-2 times a week, and the wife has made some good friends with the other moms. They've started hanging out outside of the normal playgroup times, and even without the kids.

While all that is great, IMO, they still need plenty of the hands on stuff and quality time with both parents, siblings, cousins, aunts/uncles, grandparents, etc. While the videos and playgroup activities teach her plenty, I'm continuously amazed at how much she'll pick up from the family. And she loves immitating them too. Of course this isn't always good as daddy sometimes has a potty mouth, but we're still learning too right?

Comment

Thanks Gonzo,

Because we live in School District 189 in Illinois - they don't have a parents as teachers program - Somehow the school district has to sponsor it or something like that. I have to ask my wife.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Schwaha-

You seem to be a great father...if no one has told you that yet, but your children are lucky and I am sure that whatever you decide to do, you will do it b/c you think its in the best interest of your children.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks Wang -

My wife and I are going to look into starting that parents as teachers program here. My guess is there is not that many stay at home moms in this area. Regardless its a really good idea for socialization purposes.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
              X