Credit Card Fraud Scheme.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Fraud Scheme.....

Okay, i thought i read this somewhere , but i know somebody on here probably knows.

when you make a credit card payment, is it fishy for them to ask for those 3 numbers on the back of the card? or is it OK to give out those 3 numbers?

i thought i read something that said you're never supposed to give those out.

thanks guys.
    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Give me your cc number and these 3 numbers - I can check for you and help you there.

han solo

Comment

One of my bills that I pay online asks for those three numbers, and I know it's legitimate.

Comment

seriously though.......we bought something on ebay, and the paypal pymt messed up, but for some reason won't let us pay w/ paypal anymore for this one item. so we called the people and gave them the CC number, and they then asked for the last 3 digits on the back. i said forget about it, we'll send a money order or something, because i coulda swore that i heard you're not supposed to give that out.

Comment

I know my Chinese food place asks for them. I think more people are asking as added security. Keeps people from just getting a copy of your bill or a carbon receipt and using your card number.
          Official Lounge Sponsor:
          Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
          The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
          Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

so it is legit then you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Mar 7 2004, 04:29 PM
              I know my Chinese food place asks for them. I think more people are asking as added security. Keeps people from just getting a copy of your bill or a carbon receipt and using your card number.
              you mean like when you call in, they ask for it?

Comment

It's legit.

If you lose your card, you call them and cancel it, right?

But what if you don't lose it? For example, if someone grabs a discarded receipt, they may have your number.

So asking about the 3 digits on the back is an additional safety measure for your benefit.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

cool. sweet. thanks for the reassurance, guys.

Comment

Joe,

I work in the credit card industry. Those last three numbers are known in the industry, as "the card verification value". It's meant to help keep your card info from falling into the wrong hands. In fact, many retailers pay a higher fee per transaction to their processing bank, if they don't get those numbers. It a form of fraud control that helps both you (the cardholder) and the merchant.
                    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 7 2004, 05:21 PM
                      Joe,

I work in the credit card industry. Those last three numbers are known in the industry, as "the card verification value". It's meant to help keep your card info from falling into the wrong hands. In fact, many retailers pay a higher fee per transaction to their processing bank, if they don't get those numbers. It a form of fraud control that helps both you (the cardholder) and the merchant.
                      kev, thx for clarifying what i suspected.
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Good job Kev.. Serious. I knew they were called CVV. I have to use them a lot when ordering product for the store. Nice to know what they actually stand for and why they are used.. Another added benefit of coming to the lounge.. I am just full of love tonight..
                        Official Lounge Co-Sponsor of Matty Mo.

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom. But I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control, and it didn't have any inherent wisdom.." --- Joe Strummer

\'user \'user

Comment

Good info, Kev.

Do you happen to work for MBNA? You can PM me if you want.

I may need your services soon.
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Winston,

I don't work for MBNA.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                            X